Queues are on purpose, Blizzard has sharding

Are you disabled? There were very long queues at launch

1 Like

When I said original WoW didn’t have this problem, I meant they didn’t have established guilds and communities playing together on day 1, which made people more willing to transfer.

I’d ask how you managed to misinterpret that, but I guess the answer is obvious. You aren’t smart. And I’m reporting you for your comment.

And while there were queues in original WoW, I never saw one that was more than a thousand or so. I certainly never saw seven thousand.

I was in a guild that moved to wow at launch. Once again you’re wrong. Also, I saw several thousand in line.

It’s amazing the amount of people who know better than Blizzard. Why aren’t you guys applying? Surely people with your expertise would be hired immediately.

1 Like

I agree that allowing more players in and coping with layering would help in the short term.

However, I would be more worried about when they convert all those layers into 1.

For example, let’s say they allow 200k people onto one server and have 10 layers, each with 20k people on them. Then, before phase 2 starts half of those people quit. So now there are 100k people on the server spread across 5 layers. In order to get to 1 layer, they either have to break those 100k people up and send to other (new) servers or they have to have the players deal with huuuge competition when 100k people suddenly find themselves on the same layer.

So unless they also add in dynamic spawns of monsters and nodes, I don’t see how they could meet the goal of 1 layer on every server by phase 2 unless A)75% or more of people playing now quit before phase 2 or B) They limit the max number of players they’re allowing to create characters/be logged in at any given time so that when they do squish down to 1 layer they aren’t creating outcry at that time.

So it’s not that they cannot technically do it. They could. But it would cause social problems down the road as players are forced to be displaced (and thus possibly have to pick a new name due to duplicate names on new/transfered to servers) or face massive queues at that time.

If you go watch some of the videos, describing the beginnings of Warcraft, you will note that they were stunned at the number of people who logged in to play that first day.

They were racing like beheaded chickens to set up additional servers to alleviate the queues of people trying to log in, since there was no technology to help to spread the players over shards, or layering of any sort.

Sound familiar?

Yes. Every mmo launch ever.

I make way more money than what Blizzard could pay me :joy: Also work in an industry that will be here much longer than MMOs. But yes I would say they can improve their strategic management.

Haha, more tinfoil hat fun. You do deliver on the entertainment. Keep on with your delusions and me being a “Blizzard apologist”… where do you people come up with your tinfoil hat theories.

Yeah the player count will drop due to people giving up on trying to play. It is a self fulfilling prophecy that blizzard is making.

The hotfix Blizzard put out did absolutely nothing to the higher populated servers which all still have like 8k queues before peak hours.

Except I have chosen a new realm twice, only to be back with queues. I expect the third realm I rerolled onto to be so packed this weekend, that I will have to re-roll a 4th time.

But yeah, I am the issue lol

Layer it until it has the timer at something reasonable but long (say 1-2 hours). Some will wait some will start on low pop servers. Before Phase 2 allow free realm transfers (if a high user base still exists). Launch Phase 2 with queues. Allow free realm transfers until queues are reasonable. This allows people to play now, let’s the population naturally decline and allows the population to still be high when phase 2 launches.

So the solution is to just piss off people to the point they quit? They are gambling on the fact that enough people will quit to the point layering removal IS an option. I guess they are getting what they wanted.

It’s called artificial supply constraint. It is extremely common in business (diamonds, OPEC, Nintendo, etc.). So maybe you should read a bit and get out of the basement.

The solution is to make the best possible decision for a very complicated problem which I believe they are trying hard to do. The difference between you and I is that I understand that there is no perfect solution here.

Except the path they have chosen is to do next to nothing. The hotfix rolled out yesterday didn’t do anything. There are 8 servers right now at full status still with multithousand queues.

All the hotfix did yesterday was reduce the queues during offpeak hours by like 1000 or whatever, but I don’t think anyone was complaining about a potential 30 minute queue at 10 AM. They are complaining about the 8k+ queue that is in effect from about 3 PM to midnight.

And the queues are thousands shorter. That’s not nothing. Again, no perfect solutions here.

They could make the queues zero, with no lag. They are choosing to have queues.

Are they? I am still staring at a 8k queue. It was maybe 10k yesterday at the same time. That isn’t even a 20% drop because you drop super fast on the top end due to people just straight up giving up on waiting. I’ve gone from 12k to 8k in like an hour and the last 4k takes 4-5 hours at times.

Taking an hour or two off a ten hour queue is far from “doing something”. It is STILL an unreasonable queue.

It sounds like you really just don’t understand what would happen if Blizzard did what you’re recommending. Layering is being removed by phase 2, or earlier, which is likely within the next 2-3 months.

If you have a population of 75,000 players on a single server, across all layers, but said server without layers has a cap of 15,000 players, what happens when those layers are removed and you now have 75,000 people fighting to log in?

Do you think Blizzard is going to irrationally assume tens of thousands of players are just going to up and quit (a ludicrous theory many people seem to share) and follow this inevitable failing trajectory? Of course not.