Queues are on purpose, Blizzard has sharding

Blizzard has the ability to open up servers to unlimited players with sharding (if they can open a new server they can open a new shard on a current server since servers don’t really exist anymore). It’s for buzz, stock price, stupidity, but it isn’t because of technology or lag or any other reason.

10 Likes

Case closed!

They would’ve gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for these meddling tin foil hatters

43 Likes

They just don’t want classic to be successful so they can come out and say, “we thought you wanted this?” then they start playing rick roll

5 Likes

Yeah they can but they’re not doing it because it would give the impression that there aren’t any queues which would discourage people from choosing a new realm. If they did what you’re proposing, they would have to keep layering enabled forever which is not what classic wow is about and it would ruin the entire experience. People are impatient and want everything right away instead of just choosing another realm.

5 Likes

You understand the technology right? There is no limitations on having unlimited people on a server, that is why there is sharding for phase 1. So explain to me why they are doing it. Stupidity is a valid reason.

2 Likes

Classic didn’t use sharding and the people rallied against it.

They’re attempting to get the servers to manageable single layer population sizes.

10 Likes

Sharding would create more problems down the line when they actually have to get rid of the shards and put everyone in a single realm

4 Likes

All you are proving in this thread is that you have no idea how this technology actually works, even though it has been explained countless times.

But feel free to continue yelling at the sky

9 Likes

They want servers to be healthy population, not to have 75% of the classic players on one overloaded streamer server. You all think there’s some conspiracy that blizzard is holding back on us but they’re trying to create an authentic vanilla experience, with servers that are gonna be thriving 6 months from now

11 Likes

Do you understand the technology? Cloud architecture does not mean limitlessly expandable.

4 Likes

No one want sharding. Remember # nochanges. Blizz don’t making classic fail. There was more hype for the classic then anyone could see. Get over yourself

1 Like

It’s their only way to naturally “force” ppl to abandon servers like Herod, Whitemane, etc for ones that have room. Keep in mind 1 major aspect. Before phase 2 drops, all servers must run 1 layer. If they offer comfort with no queues now, imagine these servers with no layers. My source is Ion Hazikostas from an interview he gave.

2 Likes

The layering technology is loosely based off Hadoop architecture - meaning you can continue to add slaves to the master cluster forever.

Thus, they can have infinite ‘slave’ server brought up to function as new layers. They are not doing this for some reason.

If you want a nice picture of what I’m saying just google Hadoop and look at the images.

Ya nah anyone that says “Blizz cant handle this load” is wrong. They underprovisioned or some business guy at the top was like eh, we’ll spend that money when we need it

Its classic wow so its not exactly complicated. This is not the result of a technical limitation

You get a 20k queue, and you get a 20k queue, and you get a 20k queue! is not the only solution here nor is it one that deserve a pat on the back

2 Likes

That’s not how any of this work. Each server has a hard cap of how many players can be online for a server regardless of how many layers are active.

Layers have nothing to do with increasing the online cap. Layers are setup to make instanced zones to stabilize the server and reduce lag in a given zone that may be overpopulated at the time.

The reason the servers have caps is to balance the player base across multiple realms. They don’t want servers with 200k active users and others with less than 10k because that will interfere with a true classic experience. It will also create an unbalanced ecosystem in the game as well.

3 Likes

There is not a hard cap. It is self-imposed. They know there will be dropoff yet are not opening up the experience to their users in these beginning weeks. This is not the old technology where their were hard limitations.

1 Like

So when they plan to remove layering you end up with 100k people on ONE sever? Or whatever absurd number.

I’ll say it once more: There are ONLY two options. Either have full servers and queues now and have great populations in a month or two; or we open up more servers and end up with small populations spread over too many servers in a month or two. Yea, yea, the cool kid streamer servers might stay busy longer but they aren’t everything.

I choose option 1.

The population will half or something like that, because that’s what always happens in every game ever.

2 Likes

I have no idea what realm you are choosing to suffer to play on right now, but I do not have a queue on any of the 5 realms I moved to over the past two days right now. You and everyone else that is whining on these forums are your own worst problem, not Blizzard. As Blizzard has stated, they are not going to put up more layers and shards to accommodate more people than what they want on those realms. Move or keep whining! You, not Blizzard are your own problem right now.

you don’t know that.

They can manage this with free transfers and queues towards phase 2. Remember there will be dropoff, so to limit it at this time is moronic.