Question Regarding Mount Drops and/or World Bosses

Greetings everyone,

This is my first forums post so I hope my categories are correct and all. Anyways, I had a question regarding the drop chance of items in the game from world bosses and how they exactly work. My specific question is, if hypothetically I were to make several level 1 characters and have them hit a “miss” attack on the “Sha of Anger”, do I still qualify for loot? I would very much prefer if a GM could give me an official response but I would also like to add that in testing my theory I have received the “Settle Down, Bro” achievement on the alt character for killing the Sha of Anger despite only hitting a “miss” attack. Furthermore, the “Claw of Anger” did not drop from the boss which is an almost guaranteed drop which I thought was also interesting. Thank you all so much for helping me out and I would love to get an official response before I dedicate myself to farming any more alts than just the single one I have.

Much love,

Jakaroth

Theres no GMS on the forums and what your asking for is a game hint and there not realy gona do that other then tell you to keep trying I think you have to be max lvl for MOP to qualify for the claw for that matter or loot.

4 Likes

Your chances of getting the mount you want are low… like you could create infinite characters on infinite servers and still never get the mount in 10 years of farming ICC… trust me its more enjoyable to listen to mails on a chalk board than hunt old raid mounts.

2 Likes

Well I’ve actually done the math. Being that the mount is 1/2000 drop rate, statistically if I created the max amount of characters on a single realm, which is 50 characters, each having a 1/2000 chance at the mount, the combined probability PER WEEK of all 50 characters having a go at their 1/2000 will be approximately 1/40 chance at the mount per week if done on all characters. Neither 1/2000 probability per character is contingent on the other, however it does drastically increase the chance. I am a mount hunter so this stuff is my life blood. My question is super niche but I still need to know in general whether or not hitting a mob in the open world - even if not for a damage amount counts towards a loot drop.

Loot chances do not stack for however many times you do the instance, raid, etc for the day/week/year/toon or whatever. Every time you kill said mob, boss, trash pack, etc that chance for the rare to drop stays exactly the same. The system doesn’t know you have 200000 kills on the same boss. The system only knows that said loot chances comes from said loot drops sheet and rolls a dice. This randomly makes a selection from the list and spawns loot.

I got 6 or 7 years trying for Ashes of A’larr (however you spell it) and it dropped when I was trying to prove to a guildmate it wouldn’t drop for me and well, that was interesting conversation when it did lol. About 3 or 4 for Invicible. Got the headless horseman on my 3rd year going for it. Never seen Baron Rivendares mount. And the one time I saw the mount drop from Sha of Anger, I rolled a 99. A fresh 90 rolled a 100. Haven’t tried for that one yet. Random is just random

4 Likes

Okay so essentially what I am saying is this: Let say the mount chance for mount is 1/100. This means that percent wise, I have a 1% chance at the mount per character per week. So, if I were to make 50 characters, and run each one for that 1% mount, my accumulated percentage for the week that I have attempted at the mount has been 50% (1%+1%+1%…etc). I understand that each run does not increase my next drop chance, however, running many toons, 50 for instance on a 1% mount would net me an accumulated percentage of 50 per week if every character ran it. So now back to Sha of Anger; the drop chance is 1/2000. (1/2000)(50 characters) = 0.025, now convert to percentage: 0.025100 = 2.5%. This means that if I ran these 50 toons at Sha of Anger, my weekly cumulative percentage attempted at the Sha of Anger is 2.5%. This is why I really hope these toons have the ability to get the drop because it would speed up leveling and increase my cumulative weekly drop chance.

That is wrong there. Your chance is still 1%. The system doesn’t take into account how may toons you killed it on at all. Your chance to get that drop stays exactly the same every time you kill it. It will never cumulate. Not once, ever. I’ve played this game for so long, that trying to cumulate it is just going to disappoint you. Repeatedly. By proving to you that your cumulative estimate was wrong.

If you want a mount, or piece of gear just go do it. Then be happy when it drops. Trying to cumulate your attempts at it will not work. Your chance to receive the loot stays the same no matter how many times you kill it.

5 Likes

No I completely understand what you are saying but we are talking about two different things. You are talking about the individual kill increasing my next kill chance when you say “your chance to get that drop stays exactly the same every time you kill it.” (GlaIvetoss, October 1st, 2020). You are absolutely correct about this statement - the 1/2000 stays as 1/2000 per character. HOWEVER, I am referring to doing it on 50 accounts, each with a 1/2000 chance. CUMULATIVELY these accounts will net 50 chance at 1/2000. So 50 times, I roll 1/2000. The simplified fraction is 1/40 when ALL 50 characters have been run. Like you said, each character has the exact same drop chance as the other, but all of their drop chances combined give me a higher chance per week. Otherwise what would be the point is farming alts? One character = 1 chance per week while 50 characters is 50 attempts per week - EACH ATTEMPT BEING THE SAME CHANCE but their cumulative chance being 2.5%. I hope you understand what I am saying.

1 Like

The cumulation will not cumulate. Not once, ever.

I am saying your chance will never increase from the 1/2000 chance. Ever. Unless Blizzard plays with the drop chance tables. Which is usually at that expansions end. And never increasing the drop rate. Usually if a mount or piece of gear stays, that drop chance is decreased rather than raised.

Do not set yourself up for massive disappointment in not getting that drop. Trust me, I tried getting my hopes up on my Ashes drop for 6 or 7 years 25 some odd toons every week trying to get it. Just go try on a few. If you get lucky, you get lucky. But the drop rate stays a static 1/2000 everytime that boss dies. Regardless of how many toons you use.

Leave the rough math out of it from there.

6 Likes

I still dont think loot will drop unless ur at that content max lvl or higher but thats me.

3 Likes

First thank you for your response. I have a question for you with this logic in mind. We have two scenarios: A) Do the encounter on one character per week or B) Do the encounter on 50 character per week; in your mind, which scenario will get the mount faster?

When Blizz decides to let you loot it. It doesn’t matter on the time when it drops. Cause no one knows. As far as Blizz is concerned, even if you kill it on 50 toons every single day…that chance for whatever you want is 1/2000 every single time that mob or boss dies.

Leave the guess’timation out. It drops when it drops. Just remember to pick it up, cause it’s not yours till its in your bag.

3 Likes

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, “When Blizz decides to let you loot it.” was not an option. Just simply from the A and B choices I provided you, which one of them as a higher chance at receiving the mount in that week?

That chance for whatever you want is 1/2000 every single time that mob or boss dies. 1/2000 never increases and never decreases. It stays the exact same

How much is a penny worth? Even though it’s cheaper to make than what it’s worth, it’s still worth $0.01. The difference is you can add pennies together in real world.

This isn’t the real world. Get those concepts where they belong. For the loot, 1/2000 is always 1/2000. It will never increase with each kill for however many characters you have that are high enough level to kill said mob/boss/trash pack

Done going in circle here. Have fun getting whatever you want to drop.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for this conversation I truly appreciate your time and had fun discussing with you. I unfortunately outright disagree with you as basic statistic mathematics such as a random number generator relies on probability and probability is a real world concept, one of which that is involved here. Nevertheless thank you for your time and I truly hope you can eventually get that Ashes of Al’ar! Just remember, multiple toons is always better than one :wink:

I got it years ago. Lol, just used it as an example. When I finally got it, not many people had it. Now it’s everywhere and not as rare as it once was.

1 Like

Congratulations on Al’ar! Also very true, people have had a lot of time to run it now with many attempts over time.

To answer this. No. You actually have to be able to get a minimum of 1 dmg in to qualify for loot. Level 1’s would not be able to hit the Sha of Anger.

3 Likes

THANK YOU I LOVE YOU. This was my question the entire time and I finally got the answer I needed. Thank you for confirming this.

Suggestion for next time. Go right to the point, instead of a whole backstory when asking a question. If more info is needed, it will be asked for.

5 Likes