Q'onzu Was a Disappointment

Personally I would’ve loved it if the ‘Loa’ have a connection towards ‘De other side’ – and it’s referenced to be an afterlife that existed long before the arrival of ‘the First Ones’ in the Shadowlands, and is outside of their creation (Perhaps even reference that they used the realm of ‘De other side’ to help forge Ardenweald in the first place).

• You could also tie in that the Loa each have a realm of their own in ‘De Other Side’ – Where their followers, loyalists and honoured souls may take up rest and eternal life at.

If they managed to tie that in somehow with the Emerald Dream and maybe reference rare deities on the same magnitude as Elune who have a connection to it — I would’ve found it much more engaging as a ‘bone thrown to the Horde’ of sorts …

But yeah, alternatively the Dream felt very Night Elf / Elune focussed – with little to no Titan themes. Heck even the Green Dragonflight’s aesthetical presence felt kind of weak in comparison.

1 Like

Yea Qonzu does very much feel like something they just threw in so it wasen’t all night elves and their gods

1 Like

Was that written somewhere?

1 Like

It was in the Vol’jin MoP novel. Bwonsamdi told Vol’jin that he was older than the trolls themselves.

3 Likes

Well then that’s a retcon, then.

2 Likes

Yeah. That was my point. They retconned the cool thing for the Horde and gave it to the Alliance.

It’s worth remembering that the old framing of Bwonsamdi coincided with the original intent for him to probably end up being a villain.

So making Bwonsamdi an ascended troll was likely part of remaking him into a Horde loa who’s an ally that sticks around and legit cares about the trolls, instead of a Horde-adjacent loa of convenience with ulterior motives who ends up stomped in a dungeon or raid. Bwonsamdi’s prior status as a primordial death god predating the trolls got shifted to Mueh’zala so he could be the sinister death god we beat up instead.

Consider the likely alternative. In his old framing as an uncertain ally with hints of a sinister agenda, Bwonsamdi was probably slated to be the one working with the Jailer who would trick Vol’jin into naming Sylvanas Warchief, and we’d have ended up killing him in Shadowlands to stop him from funneling troll souls into the Maw. Instead as a troll, he’s really their loa and not something nebulous and more generalized death entity that was probably only pretending to care.

I mean I might buy that if they didn’t make Qonzu older than the oldest race on Azeroth and it’s fine, qonzu isn’t evil.

I was very disappointed that not a single Loa showed up to defend the Emerald Dream. And I mean any Loa that we actually know about and have met. Like, especially Gonk, the Loa who literally taught Trolls how to be druids. We couldn’t at least have Gonk, Pa’ku, or Torcali? No Akunda? Kimbul’s “daughter” was a tameable spirit beast, but Kimbul himself couldn’t bother to show up?

4 Likes

Was kinda sad my boy Gonk didn’t making a showing. All the big loa you think would have had a special interest in lending a hand should have been there.

But you know, had to be Night elf and friends instead

2 Likes

How did they give it to the Alliance? Q’onzu doesn’t belong to either faction. Wild Gods predate both the Alliance and the Horde.

2 Likes

They take the form of a nelf themed owl while ruling over elune’s creatures, owl bears, in the nelven emerald dream.

How many nelf flags do you require before you’re willing to acknowledge something as nelf related?

I might’ve missed something.

Where in the patch was it stated that Q’onzu rules over the Moonkin? Also, the Emerald Dream doesn’t belong to the Night Elves.

3 Likes

That’s meaningless when no other race has the same connection to it.

It does in every possible way that matters. Even if they don’t own the place in a technical sense

1 Like

Not all owls are “nelf themed”

2 Likes

Pretty sure the Dragons’ connection to it trumps anything the Night Elves have. It’s not as if every Night Elf has that connection either: it’s just their druids.

Of the playable races the Emerald Dream is the more relative to the Night Elves through their druids, this is true. Amongst all races, however, that’s not the case. As I noted, the Dragon’s have a far deeper connection.

1 Like

Cool no one plays dragons

3 Likes

While at the same time it is stated that they were kicked out of the Dream for being a pain and are only tolerated now due to Fyrakks assault. At least it is implied that they were kicked out since Avianna does say this

“I’m still trying to figure out who allowed them back into the Dream!” - https://warcraft.wiki.gg/wiki/The_Answers_You%27ve_Earned

2 Likes

Okay.
The vast majority of them are.
Owls have been nelf pets since WC3 and vanilla wow.
Owlbears have been nelf adjacent and Elune centric their entire existences.