Purge Squads... really? *8.1 Spoilers*

Honestly I saw better writing and character development on the match game then BFA
10/23/2018 12:58 PMPosted by Dîomedes
10/23/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Tarc

YOU: "Blizz, Alliance storylines are boring, give us something that isn't just reactionary to Horde!"
BLIZZ: *Alliance preemptively invades Horde strongholds*
YOU: "Blizz, my White Knight cape is stained, WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Sweet Christmas, you people.

What are you even talking about? The alliance isnt invading horde strongholds in this conversation. The alliance is sending purge squads to kill a neutral race.

Man, some of you Hate-Everything-WoW crowd aren't the quickest bunnies on the racetrack, eh? The vulpera are allied with the Horde...y'know, seeing how we earn reputation with them? They aren't in the faction fully at the moment, but they're still on our side. The Alliance will be attacking them because of those ties.

Think, bro. A --> B --> C. It won't hurt much, I promise.
10/23/2018 12:52 PMPosted by Rollo
10/23/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Searik
Maybe some of the commanders in the Alliance are individuals capable of their own actions that aren't directly an extension of Anduin or the Alliance's themes. It's not like groups don't go rogue in times of war and do horrible things. For all we know these alliance are frustrated at losing so much that they pick on a race they view as weaker to take their anger out on.

If they were going to play such a prominent role in 8.1, you'd think some kind of narrative groundwork would have been laid for such characters earlier in the expansion.

Thinking things through is a dated concept for WoW though. Hell not even the systems, expansion features or design changes are thought through anymore since WoD.
Getting your panties in a bunch when we still dont' know the finished questline?
I need more details before I can form an opinion.

That said, I hope it's not what it looks like.
10/23/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Tarc
The vulpera are allied with the Horde...y'know, seeing how we earn reputation with them?

Um, allies typically have something to offer each other. Vulpera are just quest givers for the PC. If they have any ally at all it with be Zandalar since that's who we are working for when we interact with them. And Zandalar isn't a 100% Ally with the Horde yet. Meanwhile, a bunch of neutral scavengers with the population of a midwest county fair offer jack all benefit to the Horde and no strategic relevance to the Alliance.

The Horde: Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, Forsaken, Goblins, Blood Elves, and Pandaren are almost entirely absent from the story. They only show up for players battling the Alliance in Warfronts (located on the original continents).

Horde needs boats, Zandalar has boats, Alliance is going to plant bombs on those boats in 8.1. Without boats Zandalar is worthless, particularly after losing innumerable citizens to Blood Troll invasions and still more to a a short civil war.
This is just a half baked way to push the Vulpera's away from the Alliance and towards the horde. They did the same thing with Nightborne. They try to justify random mood swings and shoehorn these sudden changes into a defining moment.

If anything, what the alliance would've probably done is try to show Vulpera's they aren't terrible people and then we'd just have them as a Neutral race rather than making them our enemies, unless the Alliance was "kill on sight" for them.half attempt at "morally gray" with this.

In a way, it makes sense though since they are closely tied with the horde, so you want to strike Vulpera's down before they fully merge with the horde and increase their forces, trying to dwindle their numbers as much as they can. They seem to want to rush all this and not "waste time" on world building so they can focus on other points of the story. this FEELS like just random filler stuff to them that they don't care to put a lot of thought into it and how it's done. Just a point A to point B objective to get Vulpera's on the horde.
10/23/2018 11:36 AMPosted by Farajah
10/23/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Awby
The only explanation I have for most of BfA's story is that they are going 100% all-in on trying to make the faction war seem as stupid as possible so that they can break down the faction barriers partway through or at the end of the expansion.

If they're actually playing this straight? HAHAHAHAHA

They are playing it straight.

How do I know? Quite simple, really; Blizzard writers have never mastered subtlety- not even the third parties writers have. They can only beat you over the head the obvious and the mediocre.

So instead of just going for light speed stupid, they went for ludicrous speed stupid, and the game has now gone plaid.
If I had a better computer, I actually would unsub at this point, there are a couple other mmo's I would rather give my money to. I kept hoping for a good story line with this expansion.
10/23/2018 01:01 PMPosted by Nyteshadè
As the Alliance story is written at the moment, we have zero reason to attack the Vulpera.
But we also don’t have any context for why the purge team is a thing. The reason I mentioned those leaders is because I could, given a big blank space, fill in a reason to have them give the order without seeming overly contrived.

All we have right now is that blank space. I think it’s hasty assume that it’ll be filled with something stupid. It may very well be, I won’t discount this possibility, but I try to make a habit of judging people for what they’ve done rather than what they might do.
I mean, the writing's never been great, mediocre really, but this expansion it's just nose-dived into Plan B from Outer Space territory.
I think the difference between this, and say the burning of teldrasill, is in that example you at least had sarufang screaming it was wrong to kill unarmed civilians. Even showed in a high quality cinematic.

There is no alliance equivalent here in this scenario for the alliance purge squads. This feels demoralizing from an alliance player point of view. It does feel like this is out of character for alliance races shown here. Space goats standing next to warlocks happilly executing civilians while being called purge squads.

Is the alliance so weak or written as such, that they can’t succeed at winning against the main horde factions, that they have to bully small unarmed foxes?
It's Blizzard trying too hard to make both factions "morally grey" when the Horde has been evil since day 1 of letting the forsaken in.
What many people don't know is draenei are deathly allergic to foxes.

This is why the Vulpera must be purged before they can join the horde.
10/23/2018 01:12 PMPosted by Kitë
They did the same thing with Nightborne

Hey now, Tyrande said MEAN WORDS
10/23/2018 01:04 PMPosted by Tarc
Man, some of you Hate-Everything-WoW crowd aren't the quickest bunnies on the racetrack, eh? The vulpera are allied with the Horde...y'know, seeing how we earn reputation with them? They aren't in the faction fully at the moment, but they're still on our side. The Alliance will be attacking them because of those ties.

Think, bro. A --> B --> C. It won't hurt much, I promise.

The Vulpera are also allied with the "good" Sethrak with whom the Alliance is allied. The good snake people are more powerful and advanced than the Vulpera and their llamas. Keeping the good snake people happy should be an Alliance priority, particularly since the bad snake people are doing a bang up job at enslaving the Vulpera into oblivion.
In a way, it makes sense though since they are closely tied with the horde

No they aren't. They are loosely tied to the PC and Rastakan loyalists of Zandalar. Not even allies, just friendly natives that like to get outsiders to collect delicacies and treasures for them to enjoy.

trying to dwindle their numbers as much as they can.

Unless they have a huge secret underground lair completely cut of from Ghuun's taint they they don't have numbers. The Zandalari don't even have numbers between the Blood Trolls and Zul taking a good chunk of the population into rebellion.

10/23/2018 01:20 PMPosted by Milkshooter
What many people don't know is draenei are deathly allergic to foxes.

So that explains why the Vindecaar is MIA. They've gone back to Argus to find Velen some Claritan.
10/23/2018 01:22 PMPosted by Pharsalus
Hey now, Tyrande said MEAN WORDS

One group of elves scorns arcane magic and acts suspicious of your arcane-magic based society.

The other group of elves also delve into arcane and shares your unfortunate addiction to magic energy and welcomes you with open arms.

I don't think anyone should be surprised at how that turned out.
10/23/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Grumbles
Wait, this game still has writers on payroll? O.o

Who knew? I thought it was fan fiction written by some guy locked in Salvador Dali's basement.

Cookie anyone?

I’m crying real tears at the comment lmao
10/23/2018 01:07 PMPosted by Starlagosa
Getting your panties in a bunch when we still dont' know the finished questline?

Upon seeing pictures of Teldrassil burning.

Players: Sylvanas did it!

Blizz: Wait and see!

What actually happened.

Sylvanas did it.

When you have constant ineptitude don't expect the people to remain quiet.

10/23/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Reshyk
10/23/2018 01:01 PMPosted by Nyteshadè
As the Alliance story is written at the moment, we have zero reason to attack the Vulpera.
But we also don’t have any context for why the purge team is a thing. The reason I mentioned those leaders is because I could, given a big blank space, fill in a reason to have them give the order without seeming overly contrived.

All we have right now is that blank space. I think it’s hasty assume that it’ll be filled with something stupid. It may very well be, I won’t discount this possibility, but I try to make a habit of judging people for what they’ve done rather than what they might do.

If you're robbing a house and kill the homeowner I don't need context as to why you killed them. Sometimes things are just bad no matter how you try and spin it. No amount of context will make this look good. Much like Sylvanas burning Teldrassil. No amount of context will ever make that not evil and not stupid.

We are the heroes and shouldn't be anywhere near this, but just as Blizz likes to retcon their own lore they choose to keep us, the player character, totally out of lore, so /shrug.
10/23/2018 11:25 AMPosted by Swiftraven
WoW writing team is on some bad shrooms

At least it means i'll probably be able to play as a fluffy fox boi soon

Isn't that what you are playing now?