Purge Squads... really? *8.1 Spoilers*

Rumor has it that vulpera stole the Wrynn family jewels.
What drugs are the devs on? I want to try them!
The Alliance came to the new continents and completely forgot that the Horde was the enemy.

"For the Alliance, time to destroy the Hor- oh wait, who's this independent troll with the crown and what are these overgrown squirrels??? KILL THEM QUICK!"
"For the Alliance, time to destroy the Hor- oh wait, who's this troll with the crown and what are these overgrown squirrels??? KILL THEM QUICK!"
In their defense, the ‘troll with a crown’ represents a significant empire with a powerful navy that is openly pledging its allegiance to the Horde. It’s not exactly a random target. They’re military allies.
10/23/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Narsereg
10/23/2018 11:21 AMPosted by Dîomedes
Blizz, this is your answer to make the alliance "morally grey"? This is contrived crap. Seriously, your writers need to go. Get them a job at Huff Post or something, bring in real writers.
The Alliance has always had it's evil side, only the fanbois with blinders on don't see it. This is nothing new for you guys. And its good you get reminded of your dark side every now and then to make the mealy mouthed "BUT WE"RE THE GOOD GUYS" junk easier to laugh at.

And it is easy to laugh at the reactions to this.

So much whining and complaints about not getting enough story time or interesting enough story, and then when they give you story that can help make that side more interesting suddenly its a flood of whining because of the story.

This is one of the many reason so few people can take the cries of "Horde bias" seriously.

Blizzard is in a no win situation, not giving in to the whining is somehow magic evidence of bias, and giving in to the whining is also somehow magic evidence of the same bias. Its like there is just some utter inability to ever come out of a self inflicted victim complex

Except the problem isn't that the alliance can't even be evil, the problem is the plot is being pulled STRAIGHT OUT OF THE TWISTING NETHER, it makes no sense from what we do alliance side, nowhere do we deal with the vulpera, interact with them or even learn about them, literally never do alliance players do anything with vulpera in voldun and then all of a sudden there are purge squads and what not running around killing vulpera because??????? NO REASON.

Horde side we interact more with the vulpera and help them fight against the snek people but not alliance side, alliance side all we do is fight to defend the temple then we leave.
10/23/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Truko
Except the problem isn't that the alliance can't even be evil, the problem is the plot is being pulled STRAIGHT OUT OF THE TWISTING NETHER, it makes no sense from what we do alliance side, nowhere do we deal with the vulpera, interact with them or even learn about them, literally never do alliance players do anything with vulpera in voldun and then all of a sudden there are purge squads and what not running around killing vulpera because??????? NO REASON.

Horde side we interact more with the vulpera and help them fight against the snek people but not alliance side, alliance side all we do is fight to defend the temple then we leave.

Not only that, I can't even think of a current Alliance character that would decide genociding an entire race because a few of them helped random Horde adventurers would be a good idea.
I have a feeling they will use this attack as a reason to introduce the Vulpera to the Horde. If the Nightborne "I was offended by Tyrande" moment was any indication... then I wouldn't be surprised if this is how they choose to make vulpera playable.

As others have said, there's little to no reason for the Alliance to attack a neutral race.

10/23/2018 11:43 AMPosted by Lathander
Rexxar giving a weak motivation of Jaina killing too many people.

God, that moment was so stupid I facepalmed when he said it. Like, out of all reasons to join the war, his motivation was "Jaina's aggression" Lol. Dude must've been under a rock this whole time.
10/23/2018 12:34 PMPosted by Nyteshadè
10/23/2018 12:30 PMPosted by Truko

Not only that, I can't even think of a current Alliance character that would decide genociding an entire race because a few of them helped random Horde adventurers would be a good idea.
I can think of a couple that would Given the right provocation. Matthias Shaw, Genn, honestly I could even see it coming from Tyrande. To say nothing of the fact that it could be a lower down Alliance commander.

We don’t know what that provocation is yet though. Without knowing the who or the why I don’t see how we can make a judgement call that it’s out of character yet.

I won’t be surprised if that is indeed the case, but we can’t say that now.
Blizz, this is your answer to make the alliance "morally grey"? This is contrived crap. Seriously, your writers need to go. Get them a job at Huff Post or something, bring in real writers.

YOU: "Blizz, Alliance storylines are boring, give us something that isn't just reactionary to Horde!"
BLIZZ: *Alliance preemptively invades Horde strongholds*
YOU: "Blizz, my White Knight cape is stained, WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Sweet Christmas, you people.
10/23/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Tarc
*Alliance preemptively invades Horde strongholds*

What are you smoking? The same stuff as the devs writing this steaming pile of kodo dung?

Vol'dun is an empty desert. The only reason the Horde PC goes there is to find one Zandalari captain and find out what the bad general is up to. Which ends up being setting a giant tentacle bug free to help unleash a test tube Old God.

There aren't any Horde bases or strongholds in Vol'dun. The Alliance has zero strategic reason to go there, much less waste time and energy killing a few scattered nomads.

Running into Vol'dun to kill Vulpera means coming into conflict with evil snake people before heading to Nazmir to fight extra special evil trolls just to launch a rear guard attack on an already weakened potential Horde ally?

This is both boring and dumb.
10/23/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Searik
Maybe some of the commanders in the Alliance are individuals capable of their own actions that aren't directly an extension of Anduin or the Alliance's themes. It's not like groups don't go rogue in times of war and do horrible things. For all we know these alliance are frustrated at losing so much that they pick on a race they view as weaker to take their anger out on.

If they were going to play such a prominent role in 8.1, you'd think some kind of narrative groundwork would have been laid for such characters earlier in the expansion.
i really hope this purge squad is just extra data they scrapped.
10/23/2018 11:22 AMPosted by Snowfox
Is there some context to this?

I mean, I only act like I know it all.. I have to read and learn new things too.
the alliance decided to form squads literally called "purge squads" to kill the vulpera because... we don't like furries or something? I don't think there's a real reason. Blizz probably just got fed up with us complaining about being boyscouts and decided to make us do a 180.
(This is real world, not WoW)

If I am in a firefight and my buddy is wounded, and an enemy (AQAM, Taliban, ISIS, whatever) is wounded, I am REQUIRED to render aid to the enemy first.

What I am not supposed to do, per GC, is kill an enemy combatant who is obviously "out of the fight". (Not saying it doesn't happen. Let's be adults here)

Why did I mention this?

Because we are required, as soldiers, to remove any "moral ambiguity" from orders by superiors.

If, my unit, has 10 enemy fighters, tied up and on their knees, and my commander says, "Maj Pharsalus (My rank, not my name), I want you to take care of those prisoners", I need to, I am required to, clarify what he means.

And if he (or she) says, "Kill them" or words to that effect, I am required to disobey that order from a superior officer.

I'm not even allowed to put my crappy 9mm next to their ear and pull the trigger in an attempt to intimidate them for information. (The Colonel Allen West story)

So now, the "higher ups" at Alliance HQ are asking their soldiers, to include Paladins and others, who while their class may be "morally flexible", but the PC is not, to become a "kill squad" is laughable.

This isn't just bad writing, it's injecting story elements that make, again, no sense.

Blizzard, like The Walking Dead, needs better military advisors. (And no, I'm not volunteering. They can't afford me)
Purge squads against sylvanas are one thing but Purge squads against vulpera? What the hell? What did they ever do to us?
10/23/2018 12:40 PMPosted by Tarc

YOU: "Blizz, Alliance storylines are boring, give us something that isn't just reactionary to Horde!"
BLIZZ: *Alliance preemptively invades Horde strongholds*
YOU: "Blizz, my White Knight cape is stained, WHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!"

Sweet Christmas, you people.

What are you even talking about? The alliance isnt invading horde strongholds in this conversation. The alliance is sending purge squads to kill a neutral race.
10/23/2018 11:31 AMPosted by Grumbles
Wait, this game still has writers on payroll? O.o

Who knew? I thought it was fan fiction written by some guy locked in Salvador Dali's basement.

Cookie anyone?

I was about to say, that's an insult to fan fiction writers but then I read "some guy locked in Salvador Dali's basement." I've been to the Dali museum in Saint Petersburg, FL and can't unsee what you described now.

/takes cookie

10/23/2018 12:19 PMPosted by Searik
Maybe some of the commanders in the Alliance are individuals capable of their own actions that aren't directly an extension of Anduin or the Alliance's themes. It's not like groups don't go rogue in times of war and do horrible things. For all we know these alliance are frustrated at losing so much that they pick on a race they view as weaker to take their anger out on.

That's a good explanation but the problem is Blizz has always portrayed us as the heroes. Especially in Legion. Everything in BfA has been the opposite of what they ultimately had us stand for throughout the years. There is no logical reason for us to be doing this. I don't care that we are non-canon. If this was their ultimate goal then maybe they should switch us to playing various characters in lore since that's what they want us to do.
10/23/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Kristyana
Purge squads against sylvanas are one thing but Purge squads against vulpera? What the hell? What did they ever do to us?

Be a race that a bunch of people want to play. I mean, it isn't my choice. I'm not going to roll Vulpera.
10/23/2018 12:39 PMPosted by Reshyk
Given the right provocation.

Therein lies the key.

As the Alliance story is written at the moment, we have zero reason to attack the Vulpera. We've had no interactions with them beyond a handful of pirates at Freehold. None of the leaders you listed have displayed character traits that would indicate they would butcher random neutrals with little motivation beyond "they helped random Horde that one time".

If Tyrande is going to spare a bunch of Forsaken at Darkshore while being the NIght Warrior, how would her advocating the purging of Vulpera be believable?

Matthias might be capable of doing dark stuff like this if it serves Alliance interests but what would we stand to gain from this? Killing neutral people has a tendency to create enemies (German invasion of Russia is a prime example).

Genn may be hotheaded but he has always stuck to viable military targets.
Are Alliance seriously crying about us killing a bunch of rats again?

That's not bad writing, that happens every day. It's called pest control. Grow up.