Punching Down?

You are mentally ill

3 Likes

Exactly. Joking about stereotypes from different groups of people can be a good thing. My friends in the black, gay, and American Indian communities love those jokes. They appreciate being recognized in a game. Furthermore, these types of jokes making light of stereotypes are means to get to know other cultures and to strike up conversations.

These jokes are innocent and not conceived in hate. Critics here injected that. Only people who want to segregate and keep people apart would take issue with any of these.

MLK and Farrkhan were at the center of the civil rights revolution in the 70s. Both had starkly different solutions. Farrakhan wanted black spaces free of whites (segregation) and reparations (money). MLK wanted color-blind unity and reconciliation. In the end, all of the Republicans voted for the Civil Rights Amendment. The Democrats split their vote and it passed. Now segregationist Democrats want to religitgate that resolution. You see that on college campuses with black and poc only housing, areas and no-whites allowed school days.

Humor brings people together, breaks the ice, and helps us understand. They are essential in establishing and continuing relationships. Attacking any speech where people have an opportunity to know and interact is racist and counter-productive to race relations. Most people aren’t eloquent. They probably put their foot in their mouth more often than not. The important thing is to keep dialogue rolling. This speech activism impedes all dialogue. Misunderstandings about their intent evaporate the more we talk.

1 Like

Wow you thought the whole “my gay black friends are ok with it so where’s the problem” routine would come off not horribly ignorant? Interesting…

So better to be the butt of a joke than not in it at all? Just wow

Holy crap. I don’t know if you’re just being facetious or if you’re actually naive and deluded enough to think this is true.

1 Like

When you actually meet people from different communities, interactions aren’t polished. They don’t have to be. My friends make all kinds of jokes about me, and we all laugh. It’s human nature, not pure evil like you’d have everyone believe. Among my friends, if someone crosses a line, they are scolded and we move on. That’s how real human beings interract. I bet your go-to solution is to sever ties with them, dox them, then post on twitter how great a person you are for doing so.

I bet you live in your precious bubble, never meeting anoyne who thinks differently. I am fortunate in living in a very diverse city. I meet people from all over the world. Believe me, they have some very “interesting” ideas about white people. You would shut down those conversations before they start. I take them on the chin and laugh, because I know they aren’t rooted in hate. I see them as opportunities to get to know them and educate them on our mutual differences.

3 Likes

Well you’d be wrong.

And yet I’ve never had to stoop to making fun of someone to “break the ice”. Normal people say “hello nice to meet you, tell me about yourself.” Works amazingly well if you ever want to try interacting with people while not being a giant a-hat

Never said it was “pure evil”. Things can be inappropriate without being evil. Stop using childish reductionist arguments.

No that’s how YOU interact. I know this may come as a shick but you and your friends aren’t the gold standard for human interaction.

Wow you sure make a metric ton of assumptions about other people don’t you. Must suck being wrong so much

Again with the assumptions and pretending you know anything about me. Notice the difference here. I take issue with what you say. You on the other hand create this whole person that I’m not, and then take issue with that person. Ignorant.

You see, we’re getting to know one another. You’re making me out to be someone I am not. I am apparently doing the same. We now know something more about one another, because we dared to throw our opinions out there. Had we played it safe, we wouldn’t.

How so? Or is it that you just aren’t happy with the picture of you when it’s laid out in the open?

And oh look we didnt have to make jokes at eachother’s expense to do it! Thanks for proving my point

I told you something about my life, that I had friends in different communities. You called it a “routine,” portraying me as disingenious and rehearsed. That’s not just an insult to me, but that my friends can associate outside their own community.

I don’t know if you think that someone like me isn’t able to have friends that don’t look like me, or don’t deserve friends “of color.” Either way, you’re using my friends to score points for your argument. That’s worse than any joke I’ve heard in this game. It’s disgusting.

2 Likes

That’s an amusing statement. It could equally apply in both directions of your conversation. You both have built versions of your opposition in your heads, and both believe those versions to be the truth. Then you both attack what you perceived to be the truth.

What’s funny is that you both probably agree about more things than you disagree about.

1 Like

A piece of advice… Stop setting standards on how others relate.

1 Like

Actually I just said it pertained to you not a generality. Try to understand what’s written not what you want to hear.

Never even came close to implying it

Actually YOU used your friends to score points for YOUR argument, I merely refuted that argument.

See that’s where you’re wrong. I spoke on what he said, not any preconceived notions. Good try though.

That’s my point. I set no standards. You clained that how you and your friends relate is the norm. Perhaps you should stop projecting.

Now you insult my intelligence. You’re on a roll. A simple apology and we can move on.

You refuted my comment not knowing a single thing about my friends. I just gave context from my experience with them. You turned it into an indictment on my character. That’s pathetic.

Well, with these implied standards, you certainly are policing them.

What I said required no knowledge of you or your friends. You said that that is how y’all act and you use that as a justification to say

Refuting that doesn’t take personal knowledge it just takes common sense

Fantastic pivot. I guess if you can’t actually refute a point making a completely different one is probably the best move. Certainly better than actually admitting that you were wrong

I didn’t give you justification for anything. This isn’t a balance sheet. I simply said how they reacted to these jokes. You don’t need to score every comment. That’s a sickness, man.

You are applying standards on how I relate to people I’ve known for 20 years. If they’re still my friends after 20 years, I think you have your answer whether I am right or wrong.
Let me put it to you this way, I can relate to my friends in any damned way I choose.

you dont have to be anti vax in order to be against a ‘vaccine’ that literally ISNT a vaccine. Its more like the flu shot…not the polio vaccine.

And went on to say

I mean can you not even follow your own conversation?

Once again, no Im not. Telling you that you can’t claim your friends and you have this relationship and therefore it extends to everyone else isnt applying standards, it’s keeping you from asserting your personal experience as a standard.

About your personal experience you are right, yes. You become wrong the second you try to apply that to everyone else.

No one said you couldn’t. How you relate to people you don’t know in public spaces, including online ones, isn’t the same as how you relate to friends. Just because you have a friend you can make fun of without them getting hurt doesn’t mean that’s all of a sudden how you should approach everyone else in the world.

The world is bigger and more complex than your personal experiences and those within your sphere.

So do I have permission to relate to anyone beyond my current circle of friends?
Please just stop applying your standards to how others speak and relate. It’s none of your business.

I’m not distilling my friends’ life experience into a single thesis here, and signing my name to it. I just said how they reacted to a joke, and they liked it.
Do you swim in this BS all the time? It’s dizzying.

Clearly people loosen up as they get to know one another, but that shouldn’t stop someone from saying whatever they like.
I don’t censor myself to a handful of pre-approved catch phrases so not to offend the people around me. I say what’s on my mind and most people appreciate the unfiltered honesty.
I am not out to please everyone. No one can do that.

Thunderbluff still stands.
Highmountain still stands.

If you’re talking about wars, skirmishes, and conquering-

Welcome to World of WARcraft, ya daft git.

1 Like

Never tried to and won’t ever when it comes to private.

When it comes to public spaces however, no, your wrong, it’s everyone’s business and I won’t stay out of that.

Maybe third time’s a charm. You followed that up by saying that’s how normal people interact. So I point out that you can’t make a sweeping generalization based on your personal experience and all of a sudden you feel attacked and that I’m applying “standards”.

They’re your words dude.

So if you’re now admitting that it’s a personal experience and that you cant generalize by saying everyone else does the same, then fine. That’s not what your words said before. If you’re still sating that, well…

You should have ended the sentence there because it’s an accurate statement. Everyone sucks, it’s a required physical action to survive.