Punching Down?

The recent blue post addressing their retroactively removing or changing dialogue so not to offend anyone explained the reasoning as, they don’t want to be be… “punching down” If I get their meaning, they don’t want to make the objects of these jokes disinfranchised or minority groups. I can’t think of a single example of jokes like that in the game.

It is also awkward to not say, they don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Instead, they want to make sure only one demographic is the butt of jokes. I’d like to know who’s included when a joke punches up. Are we talking straight christian white males? Are they going to include the pro-lifers and vax-skeptics? This is a very slippery slope they’ve embarked on.

Personally, I agree with John Cleese who said, “all comedy is critical, that’s what makes it funny.” Thin skinned people suck the humor out of life.

177 Likes

Late night comedy kind of had this kind of thing going on for the longest time.

Trump this Trump that. Was really boring and predictable.

37 Likes

It was easy because the jokes wrote themselves so of course they would run it into the ground.

4 Likes

Probably because you pretend to not see it, there are many homophobic, sexist, misogynist, and racist joke spread around the game.

11 Likes

Nope. Still nothing comes to mind. I think you’re one of those types who see social injustice under every rock. Please give examples.

84 Likes

the joke is on people who play wow

29 Likes

-The “Im not gay” joke from Tauren. (homophobic)
-Tauren female flaunting their milk, or every writing in the game about Tauren female usually mention their milk (sexist)
-The depiction of Tauren in general are pretty racist, they wear native American people’s attire and are frequently shown to being bullied or almost colonized, either by Centaur or by Alliance expedition. (racist)

And that is just from 1 race.

10 Likes

Pretty much the only demographic that it’s socially acceptable to say things about that if you changed a single part of the demographic (eg man to woman) you would immediately get cancelled for.

Although personally Idk if the religions part is needed.

5 Likes

why people mad about a pixalated cows opinion though? /flirt

41 Likes

Like…? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

26 Likes

I agree… Rowan atkinson also brings some stuff up with this current shift in society.

For sure. But it seems there are people who dont care about this or actually share the snowflake feelings of the devs.

13 Likes

You’re angry at a video game fantasy cow. I think you 'ought to rethink your life.

66 Likes

How’s stating your actual sexual preference or saying “i’m not gay” is homophobic? …

Oh no, how dare a lady talk about her pizzas, and how dare female cows can produce milk. Oh no. /s

Really, is this your first day in World of Warcraft?.. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Taking inspiration from a real life race and putting it in a fantasy race isn’t racist… I mean Blizzard isn’t even doing anything racist with them to begin with.

Also, the alliance were trying to kill the Tauren because they are apart of the horde, nothing much to do with their race or their culture…

As for Centaurs, their just jerks, so they will kill anybody who isn’t with them anyways… Horde and Alliance included.

83 Likes

Another catch phrase that was used incorrrectly.

13 Likes

All the examples are reaching … very far at straws you still cant get to.

Comedy is comedy. I doubt ANYONE (fractal percent) was offended before it bought social points.

26 Likes

Still glad people aren’t talking about Trumps dumb tweets all the time.

2 Likes

In this case, the phrase wasn’t even used correctly, given what has been removed.

We’ve transitioned from the sublime to the ridiculous at this point.

7 Likes

Stop poking me from peons will get removed if they had it their way.

3 Likes

why do you hate dwarf women crushing steel with their thighs? people like you suck the fun out of everything with your neurotic fixation on reminding everyone of all the evils in the world in a 15 year old video game that has nothing to do with the real world.

32 Likes

Pro-lifers and anti-vaxxers are a subset of your straight christian white males category, so yeah they’re fair game nowadays

White women are actually fair game nowadays as well, but only if you call them Karen regardless of their actual name

Also any rich people are fair game since basically forever

Thems the rules, don’t complain to me I didn’t decide em

5 Likes