PTR PVP gearing changes: Swing and a miss

Looks like 9.1 will not be worth coming back for if anyone was counting on WoD gearing. Pretty sad that so much community feedback was essentially ignored, or misunderstood here.

It looks to be a change just for the sake of PVE, missing the point entirely on how bad rating gating is for PVP.

90 Likes

Yep. They managed to make a perfect system suck lol. It’s unreal.

34 Likes

This means less boosting, so I like it.

1 Like

It actually means boosting will continue exactly as is.

40 Likes

This hardly curbs boosting whatsoever, what?

8 Likes

How so?

People paying for boost typically because it’s a lot easier to gear up through PvP because the ilvl is equivalent to PvE. Now PvE gear will be 6ilvls higher across the board and the people who pay for boosts will go back to getting raid/key boosts for max ilvl gear.

People will still pay to get higher ilvl in pvp wdym

8 Likes

Also pve’er will still pay at the start of the season because they get gear faster in pvp

7 Likes

Removing the tiers of PVP gear and rating requirements (just like we had in WoD) will remove boosting. This change keeps boosting alive and well for people who boost for PVP.

39 Likes

I agree with that.

I feel like this current will cut back on boosting, but there will still be boosting.

They should just make it so higher rating gets your more conquest points per win and have rated pvp gear be upgraded with it, so if you’re higher rated you get the gear faster, but you can still be lower rated and catch up with time.

1 Like

People who hate this change won’t admit it but this will have a direct negative impact on boosting and make it much less prevalent.

Arena as a result should have more fair competition more frequently after this change.

1 Like

I was hopeful. Their stated design philosophy here is so awful. It’s a fix for PvE, that’s it.

3 Likes

I hate this change because it doesn’t fix other problems within the current system like huge ilvl disparities and huge grinds for alts. I’m happy it’ll cut down on boosters, though.

6 Likes

ok wow they actually are this clueless

12 Likes

Resilience will fix it.

4 Likes

It’s better than the current system, it’s just disheartening that it’s only a half-measure, and doesn’t really solve the problem of PvP gearing (gear being far more important than skill). People have always paid for boosts, and most seasons PvP gear is nowhere near as valuable in PvE as it currently is, people buy boosts to be stacked in Arena gear and flex outside Org.

2 Likes

Well that’s the nature of the rpg beast, isn’t it? They tried already with PvP Templates and it was deemed unpopular enough to be removed.

1 Like

Is it? It disincentivizes a boosting scene, but that’s it. It just makes PvP gear worse in PvE.

Templates were bad because it fully takes out autonomy, the ideal situation is just make Honor gear have 1 set ilvl in PvP (and still scale with upgrades in PvE), and conquest gear similarly having 1 ilvl in PvP regardless of upgrade level (and also similarly continuing to scale with rating in PvE). High level PvPers have slightly more use in PvE with their gear, and PvP is largely skill based.

4 Likes

I’m OK with this… Just run some keys or raid if you want better PvE gear, and if you don’t want to run keys/raids for it, then why even bother wanting to get PvE gear?