PSA: How To Report Gold Sellers In Classic WOW

does it have /command ? I can’t find in interface and have to /w first, for me this would be way more convenient just use

/report goldsellername

There is no /report command in game, all reporting right now is usually via a right click menu.

2 Likes

yeah, I tried this first. but right click => report invoke some function, so maybe we can have a macro like /run ReportBadGuy(“name”) ?

You’d want that to be seen by the people that make such decisions, and they can be found in the General Discussion forum or via the in-game suggestion option from the help menu.

The command isn’t a bad idea, it just won’t be seen here.

5 Likes

The best solution for me was to disable Chat Channel Invites. Go to Interface >> Social >> Block Chat Channel Invites.

3 Likes

Hi Blizz,

I understand we can try and use this method, however for some reason I’m not able to message the person sending me the channel invite. I get an error message saying “No player named ‘gold seller here’ is currently playing.”
Is there a way I can still report this? I have taken a screenshot of it.

Many thanks,

Ish

You’re actually supposed to message their character name. When they send you the invite, it tells you who sent it. That’s who you send the message to and then right click report them.

2 Likes

there is an addon to block only gold seller called “GoldSellerBlocker” Available on twitch and wowcurse and it allow you to report them very easy.

The easiest way is to block chat channel invites before you get one, then when they send a invite you get a message saying they tried but you have chat channel invites blocked. You can then right click their name on that message and report and never have to whisper them which just acknowledges to them that they got a living soul.

Interface options, social, block chat channel invites is at the bottom.

The issue with the chat invite blocked it block all incoming chat channel invite and most of people don’t want that. if you receive a channel invite from your guild mate you probably don’t want to block it… Yesterday just before our guild begin MC I received a channel chat invite from my class leader and I’m happy that the addon doesn’t block all channel invite. I strongly recommend to use “GoldSellerBlocker” for many reason, You don’t have to fill the spam ticket to blizzard the addon do it all automatically and it send all info of the player so it make it easier to blizzard to caught those gold sellers.

Necro’ing an old thread just to advertise an addon is bad form.

I’m not so sure I’d agree Xiong. Here in CS we’re always looking for great ways to help other players out. In this case I hadn’t heard of that addon and it’s great to know that someone not only went out of their way to make it, but also to add in that it reports the other account!

That’s awesome!

If the post had been non-constructive, absolutely I’d agree. But it added some great value to the thread :slight_smile:

8 Likes

@Xiong First of all, you clearly have no idea what my post is all about. Forums usually doesn’t like double post so I used a post old of 20 day I think its not the end of the world here… In this thread , Pzykotik linked 7 similar post of the same subject and I took the best one to try to help people. Disable chat channel invite from the blizz menu is not a solution… Also the option doesn’t stay active if you quit the game, you have to activate the option every time you log in. You also have to fill a spam ticket every time you receive a gold seller chat invite and I think people don’t want to waste their time filling spam tickets. My intention is to help peoples with this type of game pollution.

You don’t need to fill in the space. It’s just if you need to put additional information. Spam, like the language report and the name report, generally speaks for itself. Until recently, they did not have a box to include additional information.

The only one you need to fill in is with the “cheating” option to describe what you believe the player to be doing (botting, using exploits, fly-hacking).

3 Likes

I noticed that, too. What’s the reasoning behind suddenly requiring an explanation for a spam report?

It’s not required. You can file a Spam report without filling anything in. Same with Language and Name.

3 Likes

The issue if you are not filling the space, Blizzard will have to look into reported player data for additional information which cost them more time to process the ticket… The addon give them what they need. Date&time/Player name/Server/Player ID/Channel invite name etc…
Filling space is there for a reason and its there to give them more data to process the ticket faster. there is so many spammer in the chat that get reported every day, imagine how long it can take if they have to check into server data only for a single spam reported without having provided additional info.

I haven’t reported language or name recently. But I report all the Carry and Powerlevelling sellers. I just don’t see the need for the box. Maybe for explaining why a certain name might be an obscure vulgar reference? But for spam? Seems unnecessary. And just doubles the effort for each report.

1 Like

THe right click report already has all the needed info that the GMs need. Using the right-click report > X will get the info needed for them to do their work.

5 Likes

There is no issue with you not filling in the space. Even if you do fill in the space, the process doesn’t change. When you report spam, they look at the chat logs. They do this whether or not you filled in the box. What you put in there is superfluous, unless you are putting in a translation of non-English text.

Which is all information that is included in the report that is generated when you right-click and report. It doesn’t speed up anything. They still need to check the chat. They also don’t just look at the reported player’s chat but also all the other chat around them. Information that is not included in your report.

No it doesn’t. It doesn’t change anything. The information the addon is putting in your ticket is already included by design by the right-click report.

Good thing that isn’t how it’s done. The report includes the chat files when you report spam and language. It includes the needed log files when you report cheating.

Edit:
As well as the character name, the realm name, the date and time, the channel. It also includes the account information, which your addon would not have access to.

5 Likes