PSA - Guide to Barber-Shopping that reserved name

Alrighty,

I see some people are advocating counting the clicks of hair color, face, skin color, ect or going to wowhead.classic to practice build your desired look in the dressing room before deleting the name you reserved on whatever the default race / class popped up as you entered your reserved name on the classic server of your choice.

There is a much better way:

• [1] Log into the classic server with the reserved character name.
  • [2] Choose create a character (even if you have 3 already on that server)
  • [3] Design the character you want (class, race, gender, looks, everything)
  • [4] Type in the reserved name you will be adding to this character.
  • [5] Select the name with left mouse button and ctrl-c on your keyboard (shortcut for copy)
  • [5] Click 1x on a different race.

Now as long as you dont change anything about the class/race/looks of the toon you wanted, it will all be saved just as you left it. You can click cancel and exit back to the character selection screen if you want, click create character again and click your race/class/gender to double check.

• [6] Place fingers on the ctrl-v (shortcut for paste) buttons on your keyboard.
  • [7] Click delete character (make sure its the right one…)
  • [8] Type delete then enter
  • [9] Click create character
  • [10] Select the race/gender/class of the toon you designed (the pre-made design will appear))
  • [11] Left click the name box and ctrl-v to quickly past the name
  • [12] click create

Once the character has been designed, the deletion and recreation process takes under 5s.

Do this late at night, early in the morning to minimize someone snagging the name from you. While it is possible you can lose it this way, I believe it is the lowest possible chance you can have while doing it as a solo person and having as long as you want to make the perfect look.

You can practice this a few times before doing the deletion step or do it on a live server as well to make the process as fast as possible.

5 Likes

^ say it louder for everyone in the back!

Conversely, you could just hit Ctrl+V as well if you want to paste something, which is arguably faster than using both hands to hit Ctrl+P

1 Like

oh, thats an error on my part, i meant V, ill change it

1 Like

Thank you for this post.

Good trick, but the zerg has passed now.

Man I’m really glad I’m on Grobbulus lol. I didn’t bother customizing my character when I first reserved the name, but I went back a few hours later and did it that very same day, no harm, no foul.

1 Like

I’ve got my characters customized now, but this tip would’ve saved me a lot of worrying.

Problem being, what if it is a server that is marked as FULL?

It doesnt matter. “Full” is not “locked”.

This method will work regardless.