PSA: Flagging is NOT the replacement for downvotes!

Found it, and liked!

I didn’t flag it for trolling, only because I felt bad for flagging dozens of posts for trolling earlier =\

Take classic out of the equation, you’re getting caught up in that part, if someone comes to GD and posts a technical question or a question that’s better suited for customer support, on the old forums we would hit other under the report option and state that the thread needs to be moved to tech support customer service etc.
Classic just happened to be the one mentioned but it’s not the only thread that ends up on GD. It’s not that the thread needs disciplinary action it’s just that the thread is in the wrong spot.

2 Likes

“Only because?” Why would my post be considered trolling in the first place? Even the mods reverted the flagging against it because it doesn’t violate anything.

It’s just a good discussion for us to all have constructively and see what ideas we can come up with to help alleviate some of the problems. Working together and all that awesome stuff! :smiley:

1 Like

I was kidding! Sorry, context matters, and it didn’t come through >.> that was my fault!

I don’t think there is any need to fix what isn’t broken - blizzard wanted those categories that way for a reason and to me trolling and spamming may be clearer to some people now than they were before. Do you have a source that indicates the entire point of revamping the choices was to make the choices look more serious ? I find that hard to believe really.

You claimed in your opening post people were using flagging to indicate posts they just don’t like instead of downvotes and now you are claiming they just don’t know.

The more people read that CoC the more reasons they can find to flag any one post so I don’t understand your aim in this thread.

Except it is broken. Otherwise threads that shouldn’t be flagged wouldn’t be getting buried.

Having an option that says “flag” instead of “report” seems less impactful to some. And having an option that says “it’s upsetting” is just asking for anyone to hit that.

“I disagree! So that means it upset me, so I’ll hit flag!”

Those are probably the generic ones given by the system. I mean, how does “it’s spam - it’s an advertisement or vandalism” make any sense? How does advertising and vandalism fit under spam? It’s a catch-all. It’s generic.

I don’t even understand what you’re asking. I said the entire reason for the idea behind changing what’s there right now would be to make it seem more impactful. Where are you getting this idea that Blizz said something somewhere?

What? Just don’t know what? I don’t understand what you’re arguing here.

Uh… if they actually read the CoC, they’ll understand what it and isn’t allowed on the forums. They’ll see the choices clearly laid out. Not sure how that means they’ll find more reasons. They’ll find the correct reasons.

And I don’t know how you don’t understand what the thread is about. It’s pretty simple. No one else had an issue understanding it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Seems to me you’re not quite comprehending what’s been posted and you’re arguing just to argue. :confused:

1 Like

Eh when the system changed they said they would monitor and punish people misusing this feature. Why aint that happening?

To be fair, we don’t know if it is or not. It’s not as if those people could post here and say they were punished for wrongly flagging something.

But we do know they pay attention to flags, because some of the wrongly hidden posts for flagging were reverted.

1 Like

Well ok thats good news.

That doesn’t mean the system is broken. And where are you getting people’s reasons for doing something - I don’t think you are giving people enough credit if you think they don’t realize flag and report is the same thing.

I vote Blizzard add a dislike button. I really don’t understand why companies think removing it actually helps anybody or removes the negativity. All it does is make people angrier because they cannot express their dislike, and so they turn to any other negative method, such as the Flag.

3 Likes

I would love a dislike button. With all this junk they added, their reason for removing it makes no sense whatsoever. People just put in a piece of junk instead of discussing now anyway.

1 Like

Considering the amount of posts that have been hidden for no reason… yes it is. I posted three that we’re hidden in one day that shouldn’t have been. The same with this one. So that was four. And that’s not the first time we’ve seen it happen like this on these new forums. It’s something that didn’t happen as often on the old ones.

Wording is everything. Tone changes the impact of things. As does wording. Of course they understand what it is. But the impact of the word “report” as opposed to “flag” is quite different.

You’re seriously nitpicking and just finding things to try to argue about. And I’m not going to get caught up with you in that. Enjoy your day. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have seen a bunch of people on the forums post admitting they do do this. “There isn’t a dislike button, so I flag it instead. If enough people do it, the post is hidden, maybe even deleted. Problem solved.” I have literally seen words like this come out of peoples’ mouths.

1 Like

I am nitpicking ? You want to change the wording from flag to report ? And if you are getting that many posts buried, idk, I personally would be examining my wording.

1 Like

Please link some because I am pretty sure changing the wording from flag to report wouldn’t be making a difference based on what you are claiming.

Yeah, same here. It’s kind of crazy.

I liked the idea someone had of adding in dislikes, but don’t show that number and don’t let the post fall below zero.

Add that with revamping the report options a little and we might see less abuse of the system. Maybe.

Just a thought.

Sorry, I’m not going to “lmgtfy” on something you are willfully burying your head in the sand about.

I personally feel it should show the numbers in all their glory. Tired of this “don’t say anything negative or we’ll melt the snowflake’s feelings” mentality.

1 Like

Ah, see I wasn’t looking it at it that way. I was more looking at it from the perspective of let’s not bury things and get them hidden. The mods could still see the number of negatives to address it if needs be, but we still get to actually continue seeing the posts. Just to combat the “I’ll dislike just to get you hidden” mentality.

People can still post and tell the person how bad it was or whatever, but at least things wouldn’t be wrongfully hidden.

I see your opinion though. Lots of others feel the same.

I am not burying my head in the sand about anything. Let me tell you what is probably happening here.

Person x says something which is also breaking the forums rules - people y either likes or dislikes what that person says. If they dislike it, they will report it faster than if they like something.

Someone in another thread I believe it was made a post in the thread and they didn’t say a single thing but input 8 junks items indicating the same sentiment. It had 18 likes but I reporting it for spam because it took a long time to scroll through that and it was all unnecessary since one of them would do.