Promoting Twitch channel in trade chat?

Are we allowed to promote our Twitch channel in trade chat? Is there a support article or ToS on this? Not asking for follows, donations, subscriptions in trade chat but just saying “I’m doing X raid, come check out at twitch.tv/(mychannelhere)” I’ve tried searching on google and here but see no policy on this.

Trade chat can be used for alot of stuff but your realm mates may find it annoying and report it for spam id stick to guild chat.

4 Likes

Imo anyone spamming their twitch is gonna get reported by the vast majority of people. Wouldn’t be surprised if you get hit with a silence regardless of the rules.

6 Likes

[quote= 9h

Imo anyone spamming their twitch is gonna get reported by the vast majority of people. Wouldn’t be surprised if you get hit with a silence regardless of the rules.
[/quote]

Sadly I would agree with this and if I’m honest I would report (and have done in the past in trade chat.)

3 Likes

Generally speaking any such promoting would usually be considered advertising and may be reported as such.

The stance we have on it is much like it is on the forums. If someone were to link a guide video on how to do a specific quest, dungeon or achievement, as part of a discussion, that tends to be fine. Flat out advertising of a stream/video, etc… that is not.

9 Likes

Am I able to say “Doing X raid, streaming it, msg me for my twitch link” or does this fall under advertisement aswell?

That usually would fall under advertisement.

2 Likes

I would consider that acceptable and not advertising, but to each their own.

But maybe not…

That you include a link initially or not is not really a factor, you’d still be advertising a stream/video. Only, you are requiring someone to contact you specifically to get the link. The advertisement for it is still there.

Much like a pop up on your computer… “Find out more, click this link”…

4 Likes

Very true.

So basically, you aren’t allowed to promote yourself in ingame chat (public or private), but you can via talking with friends outside of WoW, word of mouth, and just simply running your stream in the hopes that you get more viewers. Okay.

2 Likes

Adding to this somewhat, would one be allowed to post a wow armory link in trade chat?
ala https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/(server here)/(character here)

Here’s the thing, it would depend no the context of why it’s being linked. Typically speaking, I don’t imagine you’d need to post your armory in a public chat channel and I wouldn’t recommend posting someone else’s.

4 Likes

If we use trade chat to giveaway a spot in our group via a raffle on stream, I assume this would fall under advertisement? So we can’t use the LFG system to show people we have a spot and give back to the community and we can’t post a link in trade to join our raffle but we can spam links for services in chat as long as we sell them for gold?

Yes, it would. You are advertising your stream which is where the raffle is. That is spam/advertising and not allowed.

You have to follow the LFG rules regarding advertising.

Correct.

Spamming is not recommended. That is also actionable when reported. Many realms have people who get annoyed pretty fast with adverts if they are done too often.

Something else to be cautious of. If you require a sub or donation in Twitch in order to enter your “raffle” for a raid spot then you are engaging in real life money for in-game services. That can get the accounts involved suspended or banned.

7 Likes

Are you allowed to promote your twitch in /say chat?? Or in a battleground instance chat? Do these rules only apply to trade chat?

No, it applies to all. Even if the thread is 2 years old, read it. It’s quite clear.

4 Likes

Holy necromancy this thread is over 2 years old. Please start a new thread.

1 Like