Profanity filters and player reports

Have some Blue posts related to this.

14 Likes

I don’t think it’s ever a good thing to foster a community that uses excessive profanity. I imagine such communities are less friendly, less welcoming, more toxic, etc.

The rule exists because Blizzard doesn’t want it in their games. Why do they not want it in their game? Not sure, but I imagine for good reasons.

3 Likes

Is a way for you to see that you are about to be reported…if you press the enter key.
If you see the text change… Be aware and not press the button.

1 Like

Honestly, after 20 years anytime I see one of these threads I immediately look at it as trolling. Being ignorant of the rule is no longer a defense (never really has been), but at this point it appears to be willful ignorance.
The answer is Do. Not. Curse.
End of discussion.

5 Likes

Yes, but they also have guidelines for when specific language will or will not be permitted such as types of programming and hours of the day it airs. There is also specific ratings for those shows/movies that inform the watcher of what kind of content it contains.

Yes, for game content. While in-game content is governed by the ESRB and our Teen rating, player behavior is governed by the Terms of Use and Code of Conduct. With that in mind there is some content that while perfectly acceptable when experienced through the game (i.e. NPC’s, quest dialog, etc…) it would not be appropriate as part of a player discussion on the forums.

It should be fairly obvious that use of inappropriate language in certain settings can be considered offensive to some. Not everyone believes using profanity is appropriate, especially in environments where there may be those who are under the age of consent.

Except, most people, regardless of if you omit or otherwise mask the word, know exactly what you said. The policies prohibit the use of any and all inappropriate language. The condition isn’t “are they personally offended by it?”

One could argue and understanding of your environment and when such language may not be appropriate for all audiences would prevent a sensible person from using it.

12 Likes

Awww… but I was typing!

Glad to hear it though, good luck, Beasttoy.

22 Likes

Well, to be honest they quoted your own words so, it was you in some capacity :smiley:

12 Likes

Not really. There is never any excuse to cuss in game. If you cannot refrain from typing it out, you are welcome to disable chat for yourself. You can also get into the habit of just saying it out loud or thinking it.

The rules are pretty clear on the foul language. It’s not wanted in the game and I’m glad it’s being reported and acted upon personally.

11 Likes

There are no automated penalties.

As for the rest there is no need for any reading of intent. You cuss, you get punished. Period. It doesn’t matter why, you took the time to actually type out the words and hit enter. You broke the rules. And people have been punished for abusive language that isn’t just cussing. It is just that cussing will always get you punished, it doesn’t matter if it is directed at others or not.

9 Likes

A squelch (temporary silence) is the only automated penalty.

Any other penalty is applied by humans.

We need to recognize that our own actions also have consequences. It’s super-easy to put someone on ignore in-game. It’s also easy NOT to type something and move on.

Yes, people should indeed be actioned if they cannot control their own behaviour, including intentionally typing out inappropriate words.

10 Likes

I’m not certain why bringing up a 2 month old post is helpful, Vovas - but this is absolutely correct.

In the arena of chat/social violations, everything starts from player reports.

14 Likes