Poll: Choosing a Covenant

But if you are playing wow then you are also paying them… If you aren’t and don’t intend to come back any time soon then Idk why you are here.

Paying them to play bfa which does not have the system and not pre ordering the expac while talking loudly about how bad the major system in the new expac is is not supporting the system.
Honestly Idk if I will play SL. I don’t pre order anything until just before release so that I can make informed decisions. I am making them earn my $ and this covenant system is making me unsure.

Already saying how the system sucks and have been for months. Hopefully the 6 months plus before release that they got from this negative feedback is enough to give them time to address it before patch 9.1 or 9.2 like it took them to fix azerite and essences with the vendor.

2 Likes

azerite armor 2.0 = Legion artifacts / legendaries.

1 Like

Yeah that’s how this game has always worked. People are going to want whatever makes their character the strongest.

It’s not like it mattered which one I picked. My first 4 characters will each be in a different covenant. So I will be playing all 4. I actually have 4 max level warlocks, one will go into each, that way I can play my favorite class in all covenants.

I just saw this so I didn’t get a chance to vote. Seems like people are choosing based on aesthetics. I wanted to do Night Fae but as an Arcane mage, I am currently leaning toward Kyrian. Necrolord does not feel like mage aestheticswise, or I might consider it. Night Fae for mage is melee and just doesn’t seem viable.

As soon as my wife seen you can turn into a unicorn in the night fae, our covenant was picked for our mains. No way I’m getting out of that.

1 Like

Yeah, the shape-shift ability, the whole “Nighttime in the forest” aesthetic, the covenant armor, the beautiful look of the abilities themselves… Why would I ever choose any of the other groups?

2 Likes

Will probably go the same route. But I’m definitely going to join Kyrian and Venthyr at least once.

Can I port over my Barbarian from Diablo? Just sayin lol

It’s too bad we’re not allowed to quote entire posts more than once when responding because this is a fantastic post and everyone should go read the whole thing.

I know Blizzard wants to give us “meaningful” choices" but I feel like they don’t even understand what that means. Vanilla and BC rainbow talent trees gave us meaningful choices. Expansion systems have been steadily going downhill since the introduction of specializations and LFG.
Give us back full control of a class’ talents in the original spirit of talent trees.

Let us choose the city our character home bases from with all available services in every city.

Let us customize the color of our gear.

Let us CHOOSE PLOT PROGRESSION.

Let us choose between ALL covenant abilities to suit our own playstyle and just…unhook them from covenants all together.

Covenants as is are NOT what player choice looks like. “Meaningful” does NOT MEAN “choose between your RP, immersion, aesthetic, pvp play, or pve play and successfully do only ONE of those things on your main.” That’s just tyranny and lunacy.

7 Likes

I think the devs are sending the message you are not supposed to minmax this thing and if you try to you are gonna waste your time. That’s why they always say it’s a roleplaying thing.

Maybe those NPCs talent trees are more important than the powers themselves. Who knows? Maybe the system is going to be too complex to say a covenant is the right one.

In all honesty, I don’t know if this thing is going to work, but I’m glad they are trying to get away from the homogenization that’s been plaguing this game for so long.

If they wanted that then why do player powers even exist?
People would be happier with them as a talent row anyway, people are sick of borrowed power.

4 Likes

That is what they said about the AP grind too, but people still did islands for 16 hours a day. People will min/max anything, it’s stupid to think they won’t.

They should just be a talent row, tbh. There is nothing that inherently links any of the abilities to their respective covenants aside from visuals.

So remove the skins, make it a new level 60 talent row and call it a day.

@Blizzard. Remember the golden rule of design: Keep it simple, stupid.

5 Likes

Why does everyone seem to assume that if you don’t like the Covenant system that you’re automatically a min/maxer? I really dislike the system, but it’s not because I’m a min/maxer, it’s because I don’t want my player power to be tied to aesthetics.

I like both the Night Fae and Kyrian for their look and feel and transmogs, but I have a sinking feeling I’m going to like the gameplay aspects better for the other covenants (I’m holding off judgement for now). Why do I have to choose between what I like aesthetically and what I like game play wise?

In my opinion, it’s a stupid move to mix the two together - especially when they have the ability to fix it so aesthetics and power aren’t tied and everyone can get what they want.

People don’t have to be min/maxers to want to perform better.

4 Likes

I’m also sick with borrowed power. I wish there were only those 2 abilities per faction and that’s it. People could pick the faction icy veins says it’s the best or just the one they like and it wouldn’t matter that much.
I just mentioned the NPC trees because I think this covenant thing will be far more complex than people think, not because I like it.

But I think what they are trying to do is good, to give players more variety between them, more flavor. We are going to see a warrior using a necromantic ability and another using something arcane, and that’s nice. Unless min/maxers have their way, that is.

They are not saying you can’t min/max nor they think people won’t do it, just be prepared to change covenants every month. Or do islands 16 hours a day. That’s on you.

For example, I keep hearing that the Venthyr ability is op because you can escape dungeon bosses mechanics, or something in that line. If everyone starts picking venthyr for that, I bet Blizzard is gonna put a 2 sec cast time in that ability and screw everyone up.

It already has a 1.5 sec cast time lol. It’s still going to be insane for progression.

1 Like

Well, I bet they will find a way to nerf it to the ground if they want to.

I am not sure where my toons stand. For one, I am looking at stats and which one is cool. I am thinking my toons will be in all of them. Big decisions.