Please revert elite set completion to 1.8k

bro what are you talking about go back and read or quote the right post

At the beginning of shadowlands rewards were good and there was Tons of pvp activity.

Rewards are lessened and pvp activity drops.

Maybe make the elite set like Glad atm. Win 50 games AT OR ABOVE 1800. Also fix Glad to be AT OR ABOVE 2400.

Raid and M+ kids complaining. ‘All these RBG players out geared us!’

they could make PVP gear be item level 2 in PVE for all i care. IF i dont have to pve for legendary patterns or conduits ever again.

1 Like

Yep, because that is what PvP needs. Even less participation.

Also - are they doing this in 9.1.5? Why not save this for 9.2? Are you really going to move the goal post mid-season?

Agree or disagree on 1800 vs. 1900 vs. 2k - maybe doing it mid-season isn’t a smart move.

Participation was better when it was at 2k though. Was also better when it was at 2200 in Cata too, for that matter. People keep saying moving the reward up would result in less participation but it doesn’t seem to be rooted in reality. Especially considering how low the participation was in the middle seasons of BFA where the set was at 1800. I just don’t think elite sets in particular affect participation as much as you are assuming, especially not with the quality of sets we’ve gotten since they moved it to 1800.

2 Likes

Before the sub numbers tanked?

How was it as a percentage of the player base?

Also - this was prior to the terrible gearing system that PvP now has.

High enough in MoP that Holinka said it was the same participation as raiding.

Right, MoP.

Isn’t MoP considered to be one of the better expansions, with one of the best PvP gearing systems? Certainly it is the one most people propose we go back to as far as PvP gear is concerned (ilvl/resilience/relative strength).

I don’t remember what the cutoff was in Legion for the elite set, but that might give you a better comparison. Certainly a closer one.

i think 1800 or 1900 or 2k is going to have very liittle effect on participation. i think the bigger cause of high or low participation is the general state of the game which is sitting in the toilet.

3 Likes

You aren’t proving that elite set requirements have anything to do with participation, which is kind of my whole point. The gearing system and balance are what matters, anyone saying that moving the elite set up 200 rating will kill participation is not arguing in good faith.

1 Like

Making the elite set higher rating won’t matter much. People that bought boosts will still buy boosts. Plus 1800 is still a pretty high barrier, there’s just so many bad players out there. Rival was top 3-10% and while I don’t know current numbers I’m sure it’s still pretty similar.

There are still enchants, tabards, titles and a mount to unlock. Participation would increase if the gear disparity wasn’t such an issue and warriors/ww/rets weren’t going around 2 shotting things.

1 Like

I guess time will tell then.

Things are certainly going well for WoW at the moment and it’s not as if even prominent WoW PvP youtubers (people who make a living playing this game) are moving away.

The last thing they need right now is to make choices that will alienate more players.

At a time when PvP complaints are more than ever, boosts are a bigger problem than ever and more in the public eye than ever.

Even if you are right, the timing for this could not be worse.

2 Likes

Alot of things affect rated PvP participation. Gearing, MOG unlocks, overall population, balance/accessibility of PvP, availability/appeal of other types of content (e.g., M+). It’s not as simple as saying that participation was higher in a previous xpac when the MOG rating was higher because you can’t isolate the MOG from the other factors impacting participation.

I don’t think we’re arguing in bad faith or contrary to facts to say that pushing up the MOG unlock is adding an additional unnecessary disincentive to rated PvP right now for newer/less accomplished players.

In any case, making this change mid-season doesn’t seem terribly fair to those that didn’t realize this change was coming and now have a higher barrier than those that pushed earlier in the same season. Would be different if this was announced a month or two ago maybe, but this change didn’t really come to people’s attention until the week before the patch.

If 1.95k is going to be part of the MOG unlock, then maybe push it to 9.2? Also, maybe change it to just head or head and shoulders or head and cloak or something. Boots at 1.95k is pretty limiting on ability to use the set before that point which negates the point of the earlier unlocks in alot of cases.

3 Likes

This is kind of where you’re losing me. Helm, shoulders, and chest are the most prominent pieces of an xmog. 1950 for boots essentially still lets people wear the xmog if the other pieces drop lower.

1 Like

Guess it depends on the mog. Boots for pants makes a lower half. Particularly lately where the boots/pants can have specific designs/features. For robes, I guess boots don’t matter that much.

SL season 1 had the highest participation in a while. It did something right and I personally think we just need to follow in it’s footsteps instead of change things up.

1.8k is good enough for elite sets, but they also need to reverse all the changes that were made in 9.1 and 9.1.5 for PvP.

WoW’s player population was also a LOT bigger back then than it is now…

5 Likes

Thinking back on it. I got 1800 on a frost mage and fury warrior. I also got it on a Rsham and Kyrian Demon hunter. 1800 isn’t hard. Just gotta play decently well. Takes about 200-300 games to reach it, so a good week or two of queueing and I got it on 4 classes.

Pvp isnt harder than pve. Pve you gotta instinctively know when to time cds with which pack to optimally dps a key. In raids you’re basically giving yourself carpel tunnel 6 minutes into the fight.