Please return survival back to ranged or give hunters a 4th spec

The other two ranged specs don’t provide the theme nor the playstyle which the old RSV did.

6 Likes

It really just sounds like you want to play an Affliction Warlock?

use your imagination or tough nuggets

Nope. Affliction is/was not the same as RSV. It’s not just about the mechanics themselves.

It’s not just about the basic concept of applying DoTs.

4 Likes

I played survival back in the day too and no, it’s not like an aff lock. I know what they’re talking about. Survival was fun and intuitive back then too, which is why I would be fine with a fourth spec. I’m not fine with asking for something other people might enjoy to be obliterated though.

3 Likes

How is it different then?

Because you’re saying the biggest thing was the ability to multi-dot targets that are spread out.

Which sounds like an Affliction Warlock, the other stuff, more direct damage cleave, AoE, can be handled by the other two hunter speccs?

Survival as currently stands seems to be heavily about stacking poison / bleed debuffs and keeping them up properly with good positioning focus, and proccing bombs and whatnot. (Watched a Mythic Raider on twitch play Survival Hunter, looked like fun, I’ve always been a BM hunter on my Wuggin)

I’m just not really understanding where the disconnect is here.

If you want a full dot class with some hard casting, I think Warlock still does that.

Warriors - buff.
Priests - buff
Mages - buff
Monk - debuffs enemy allowing for extra dmg. Aoe heals and AoE cleanse
DK - brez
Druid - brez and aoe heals.
DH - immune to most forms of dmg.
Rogue - shroud.
Shaman - lust, totems, strong aoe healing.
Warlock - summons, soulstone, healthstones.
Paladin - buffs and sac.
Hunter - only form of healing is on a 3 min CD. Hunter Mark is only for you.

Some are better than others. What would RSV add to the hunters kit?

1 Like

Hey, if they wanna make a dark-ranger esque specc, by all means we have the ground work for it.

I just thought they moved the ranged elements over to MM with dark arrow and such?

Which version of ranged survival are we even talking about right now? because it’s gone through many changes.

Explo shot, not Dark arrow.

It’s not about dot application, but the manner in which the dots were applied. Shadow priest and affliction are both heavily dot based. Survival was different in that it applied dots in a different manner with another dot acting as a catalyst and small cool down for damage amplifiers. The feel of the spec was also different. It felt smooth and played well and had other mechanics to juggle like aspects (viper and dragonhawk), trap management and proc management.

3 Likes

You’re not taking into account the theme/fantasy.
Only the pure mechanic of how damage is dealt to the enemy target(s).

Also, I’m not saying that the biggest thing “was”. I’m saying that it “would” be.
The old RSV wasn’t strong at multi-dotting. But if brought into Legion, it would’ve been as this would’ve been it’s natural path of development.

Never said anything about this.

Already told you.

Dark Rangers are not Hunters.

They are more casters/magic users than rangers.

Nothing. Got it.

The survival I miss the most and wish would come back would be mana based wrath hunter to be honest. That was the most fun I had as ranged survival.

1 Like

What If blizzard gives dark arrow and reemplace aimed shot instead through a talent?

Easy fix. No needs to remove one of the most fun specs which is melee survival

Debatable. But yes, some players are arguing for MSV to be removed. I’m not.

Anyone asking for melee survival to be obliterated doesn’t deserve to be responded to in my opinion. That’s absurd.

Discussing and proposing a fourth spec that would be ranged survival’s return under a different name with some changes in mechanics is fine and worth discussing I think.

4 Likes

Exactly this.

Agreed. I just wonder what it would add to the hunter class that would make it better in end-game content.

This is what I talked about earlier.

To the hunter class, it would add the strength of spread cleave as well as multi-dotting. Yes, other classes can do this as well. But we’re talking about hunters here, like you said.

Another unique thing it would add, is a ranged spec which focuses on the weapon itself that isn’t restricted in terms of movement. OR, in other words, the “Run-and-gun” style which many players are asking for from the class.

1 Like

i really like the new survival and do not wish to see it removed. i think a compromise could be made to where the spec could either be melee or range, ala roll the dice vs slice and dice outlaw/combat rogues. however, they might be hard to do, it isnt as simple as just changing one talent.