Please don't give in to the GDKP enjoyers

While that’s fair, GDKP is unique in that it uses a finite player resource, gold, as its distribution method. To fall victim to shady GDKP hosts vs shady SR, MS>OS, or free roll, is different because you actively lose a resource (outside of time/lockout).

In a GDKP ninja scenario you either lose the item OR the gold, not both. You still walk away with something.

In MS>OS ninja there is only the item to lose, so you always lose everything.

I don’t see that as a positive. Playing a game with higher gold value in era (not to talk bad of cata, gold is just worth less as the game progresses) losing gold is more of a hit than losing an item.

It’s also a smaller community, and on Mankrik GDKP or SR runs, I haven’t seen or heard of anyone scamming in a long time, though Whitemane sees GDKP pot-stealers all the time. (irrelevant to grand scheme of loot system vs but important for why I see losing gold as ‘‘more impactful’’ than items)

But in this scenario you’re already willingly agreeing to pay X amount for an item, then getting the item…
If the host ninjas at that point, you’re only losing your split.
The gold you paid in the bid is the same ninja or not, and you still get the item.

in MS>OS you get nothing.

I help to operate the SoD community discord for Shadowstrike AU realm, we have a blacklist function to report raid ninjas and list them in an addon. It’s very active (well, not at the moment due to dead game P3), there is a huge amount of ninjaing (reminder, GDKP banned).

This just circles back to being savvy about what runs you’re joining from trade chat. If ‘xianxilong’ is spamming for 2 hours for a very poggers fast gdkp run with no discord, no logs and can barely speak english let alone lead a raid, it’s probably not going to result in a good outcome regardless of the loot system. Obviously, GDKP provides a bit more of an incentive for these kinds of people to attempt to run a scam, as they get gold they can sell.

I see this kind of stuff on the same level as the Indian Microsoft support phone call scammers… oh sir please do the needful and buy 20 gift cards to pay your microsoft virus license…

1 Like

That’s fair about being savvy. Generally speaking all runs on Mankrik, GDKP, SR, MS>OS+1, all come with a discord. Many of them are guild runs or longstanding pug scenes (fun runners, wehr goot loot, etc), so generally speaking you can hop into any type with a reasonable sense of security.

In my eyes I’m putting myself as a carry here and not a buyer, so I am losing everything. This just comes from a personal bias as I don’t enjoy paying gold for my items. Important reframe for me the way you put it, thanks.

It also does boil down to, a larger a server gets, the more you’ll run into scams, both because there is just more people playing, and because it becomes easier for your actions to go ‘unpunished’ in meaningful ways. Getting kicked out of a guild on Mankrik for scamming will get you kicked out of the other few guilds who are long-term raid guilds too, basically.

Yes as a pure carry a GDKP ninja event will be very annoying, but it’s only a time investment/lockout loss. You’re not being denied the ‘right’ to an item that you won the roll on etc which hurts, mentally, less.

From the community side, I anecdotally have noticed that GDKP pot scammers are treated a lot worse and are more memorable than item ninjas, mostly because it takes a lot more time investment and intent to pot scam.
You need to operate an entire run, hold bids where the entire raid is very engaged and observing your actions, then collect gold from all the winners. The entire raid is invested due to them all getting a split, rather than just the item winners being invested.
It’s much more difficult (but not impossible) for people to repeatedly pot scam as a result.

Probably also why all the scammers tend to be boosted bot mages. No investment in character, no plan for its future, its get what you can, sell it off, get banned, repeat.

If by “real” you mean “the remnants scraped from the community barrels”, then yes.

The reality is that GDKP isn’t any different than using gold for anything else in game, yet it did keep the economy circulating and keep sub counts active until it tapered off and dropped after the pivot.

It is perfectly fine for people to not enjoy GDKP, but GDKP is counterintuitively health to the survival of Classic-style survival in the long-term.

Show me where I can buy purple bags for 60k like dft goes for.

Dont have them but there are SS of discord led GDKP leaders giving links to people to purchase gold, and telling them they should top up before they begin.

This whole thing about gdkps being guild insulated is such BS.

3 Likes

You complain a lot about numbers you can’t explain or don’t understand. If you’re going to throw out numbers like this without any frame of reference, it means nothing. In other words, you have no idea what prices normally would be.

Dont have them but there are SS of discord led GDKP leaders giving links to people to purchase gold, and telling them they should top up before they begin.

Again, same thing. Someone can say they have screenshots of non GDKPers linking RMT, and it’ll have as much value as your statement here. Absolutely none.

I have seen items prebought/reserved for an enormous set price before. Like one of the bindings for thunderfury.

But reserved where money isn’t added to the pool. Never seen it either. Even trash green items are sold off in the floor.

Yeah i think he was calling “HR” items pre sold items.

Calling pre-sold items ‘HR’ just further reinforces that he legit does not understand GDKP and has likely never participated in any real organized GDKP raids.

As is the case with almost all of the very vocal anti-GDKP posters, talking out of their buttholes.

3 Likes

Now that GDKPs have largely been reigned in, sure. Back in TBC classic and early wrath classic, you couldnt even buy level 45 consumes without GDKPing or buying gold because everything was 15 freaking gold a piece, made hardcore characters feel dead in the water if you had to transfer them to era. Now all of them have either quit because they ran out of people for their groups, or they went to Cata Classic and are mucking things up there (like prebis epics going for 40k)

2 Likes

You’ve reached a new low. What are you going to find to complain about next? GDKPs charging a buy-in?

1 Like

sigh. what do you not understand about gold accumulation over time. Gold doesnt just magically appear when its requested. The longer a server is up, the more gold is acquired. If youre trying to solely blame a loot system for the supply and demand prices then youre absolutely off your rocker lol. Hardcore servers will have less gold simply due to the fact that you can lose your wallet when you die. So yea, in the afterlife you may not be able to afford the same things that people living in purgatory can.

If the content is made for braindead awful players why would you even need consumables? Huh ? Is it easy or hard pick a lane .

So you are probably against GDKP if you are against players having raw gold.

I thought it was pretty clear in my post that I enjoy character progression and having a strong, high performing character.
If I willingly avoid using consumes, I may as well also not bother enchanting my gear, or getting upgrades at all.

It’s an MMORPG, I will progress my character as I see fit, it’s none of your business how I want to play the game.

Just because the content is braindead easy baby mode raiding doesn’t mean that I can’t squeeze every drop of blood out of it by maxing my character. These are two completely seperate issues.

Do you really just progress a character to the thin point required to barely clear the raid and then stop all progression?

1 Like

There is a huge amount of gold injection in cata from questing, especially dailies.
You get like 100 gold as a reward for just queuing a dungeon.

Comparing gold values in versions of the game that are 3 expansions apart is a very pea brained thing to do.