Please Deal With Sockpuppeting

That is so flawed tho, cute gnome.

Some ppl are gud at making their account(s) vastly different.

I’m afraid the forums would be very quiet if sockpuppeting could be eradicated. Would be a great thing in my book.

Wasn’t there a browser extension that worked with the old forums that called out alts?

This problem has been around for a while. The blues claim they can see sock-puppeting but they never say if they can detect it when someone is using multiple accounts. From what I’ve seen, they can’t. I’ve seen people get suspended on the forum and then simply switch to another account to continue posting.

2 Likes

Can’t that be bypassed? :wink:

It’s easy to detect if one account is sockpuppeting. It would take more work to detect multiple accounts being used to do it by the same user, but it can be done through access to computer information such as IP addresses and other subject matter.

If I recall from the CoC, staff are supposed to straight up close people’s accounts for doing this.

2 Likes

Still can be worked around, eh?

More than we know probably do this, however, as a person who switches mains allot, i constantly am changing my forum character to match my main of what I’m playing in game. Yes I know it’s dumb but I like to keep them the same.

Just claiming my innocence. Plus I don’t hide my profile :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I never understand when ppl say this. You can still look up what ppl say.

I’m sure Blizzard would be happy for that to sell more expansions and boosts, but just remember that would also mean even less moderation from Blizzard because they can make more money off it.

This change would also kick off quite a few MVPs, and Community Council members.

What would fix a lot of things is 1) having a support ticket system for when your reports are not enough and you may need to explain things to a forum moderator. 2) Moderators that don’t just look at a ticket queue and go off of single posts and actually look at frequent behavior, because the way they investigate it currently completely ignores ongoing harassment and other issues.

When did this happen? Under what circumstances? I understand that flagging on multiple characters on the same account is highly frowned upon, but how often does posting on more than one character in a day result in “punishment”?

I think never.

The forums don’t matter. There is no reason to have a massive purge, which would make it painfully obvious how few people are still interested in the game enough to want to discuss it.

That’s not the same thing, though. Sockpuppeting is specifically using multiple characters or accounts to post in support of one’s self, giving the appearance of public approval where it doesn’t exist. Just using different characters to post isn’t problematic.

4 Likes
8 Likes

Was it me? Or was it me pretending to be me?

Realistically, I don’t think this is a huge problem.

Fruit Flies aren’t a huge problem either but I don’t think a single person on the planet would tolerate one constantly buzzing around their head.

4 Likes

Point taken, but, realistically if this annoys you and you see it, it’s because you want to see it. It might exist, but to what extent? And, how is it realistically impacting your forum experience? Probably not very much. In fact, if you think someone is ghosting or sockpuppeting, you can simply block them.

1 Like

Except I can’t. I can ignore people but their threads and replies still show up on my screen, and it doesn’t take rocket science to guess who the “ignored content” is from. Secondly, ignoring one account does nothing if the user is posting from a different one, which is the point of my post here. Blizzard needs to step in and deal with people that are using different characters for nefarious purposes, and provide players with a way of prompting investigations into people that are reported for doing so.

I shouldn’t have to see anything from troll posters, but the lack of a blocking feature means that Blizzard needs to compensate for this by getting rid of people that engage is problematic behaviors like this that cause large numbers of people to want to block them.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s a good point.

Realistically, I don’t have a better solution for you than to block them. Flagging people (if it were an option) for falsely propping up posts and accounts, would largely be based on assumption.

I think this is why people call for your account to be shown, regardless of what character you post on. It’d solve a lot of issues. Realistically we don’t even really need to show any account information. Blizzard could simply have us choose a forum name, so mine would be Warlockguy2298, and then I’d choose the character Kittredge to post from. And both names would show up. Forum user Warlockguy2298 posting as Kittredge. Problem solved for single account abusers. Multi account abusers … I have no idea how to solve that.

2 Likes

Just be like me, and don’t honestly care what other people think of you or your opinion. Sockpuppeting has no power over you if you don’t give a damn!

2 Likes

Yeah I agree with this guy, just don’t care!

Nah screw that, sockpuppeting sucks and is damaging the credibility of these forums!

5 Likes