Player Housing possible Leak, "Dragonflight." Let's talk

The selling point of a game should be all aspects of the game. It should be a check on a list of many checkmarks that the game offers to players, it should never be the main point, just nice addition. I am not touting this as a thing I want, the point to this is a discussion on if/when it happens, what would you like to see done with it? I am no housing fan boy; I am a simple player who has enjoyed housing in other games that has been disappointed ever since Blizzard ruined it with garrisons. It could have been something.

4 Likes

You may enjoy being a squatter, but that’s not all there is to player housing and doesn’t at all scratch the itch.

Of course, it’s all a subjective opinion at the end of the day. People either like it or don’t, and I don’t think the people interested are as small numbered as people seem to think. But it’s all anecdotal and there would be no real way to get a good idea of numbers anyway.

1 Like

Rogue, you know.

You know, you got me there, I can’t say much else. :joy:

I don’t see the excitement for it though. I get it might be cool to collect some stuff for it but then what? I don’t feel the fun for sitting alone in my room so that I could also sit alone in my room in the game. Where’s the appeal in what’s supposed to be a social game? :joy:

My experience with housing in WildStar was one with a vibrant, engaged community. People hosted contests for themed builds. For holiday events, many would create custom plots and invite people over - haunted houses for Shade’s Eve (their Halloween event) and such. Housing was HUGE for roleplayers. The ability to create your own custom space tailored to whatever RP plots you might have was an enormous boon. I know people who built essentially art museums to display their works. Many people curated lists of Places to Go to view and interact with people’s creations - and that’s really what they were. Lots of people in the community treated it as an art project, and folk loved experiencing those products.

Had a friend who created an obstacle course housing plot. The Katia addon allowed them to set it up in such a way that one visitor could run the course, while others could stand in a “viewing room” and interact with levers and buttons. These would cause certain aspects of the course to change (one lever caused rocks to fall and break a pathway, for example). It was fun to try and mess with friends trying to complete the course.

Housing is as social as the community makes it, and housing is most social when players are given robust tools and a well thought-out system.

6 Likes

While I agree that this should be a social game, aspects of any MMO should be RPG stylized. Players have wanted housing since the first iteration of the game. And recently, many different communities have commented on wanting housing just done right after going out and trying other mmos during the mass exodus of Shadowlands. There are plenty of games and metrics out there from other IPs to corroborate what the players in this thread are talking about. Yes, while some people especially the ones that have just gotten off of work and are logging into the forums with a 7k+ forum post count disagree with housing, many others would be excited for it. The housing in XIV, Lotro, RS are very popular to a player base that exists outside of raids/pvp/dungeons.

Simple fact is that housing is something that can be very good for the game long term that will outlive expansions and bring a breath of fresh air into a stagnant game that never changes its style of raid/m+/pvp/daily/sit in city. I don’t think that players will just hang out in their houses, I think their house will be something they can work towards after they have, “run out of content.” I think that houses will be a way of doing something while waiting for raid or the Tuesday reset. If done right the house will get players out into the world to collect achievements/items/collectables/archeology for their house. Players like collection/mounts more than that boss achievement, because in 1 expansion that boss achievement is meaningless, but if you for example, got Gladiator/m+3k score or something similar and get a statue that isn’t attainable after the patch ends, that is something you can view when going to your house that you can be proud of, vs text on an achievement log or another mount.

It only adds, it does not take away. Even if it makes the game 5% better, why not add that 5%.

4 Likes

No. Actually I respond directly to posts. I was responding to a post where you said there was no need of player housing because players can travel anywhere, and I guess, log out in a rainstorm or in a pile of trash.

See this right here, sounds so fun, and I am sad I was never part of it.

What I can say is my clan in OSRS used to hold duel tourneys in our houses where we would place gentlemen’s bets on opponents, it was amazing and really added to the vibe of the whole thing.

2 Likes

By instancing it, but allowing like 10 or so houses per layer.

Personally id like to see that portal in SW return (the one by old town that was there in vanilla) and have that lead to an instanced living area.

Make housing items drop from all content, old new and ignored. Im not sure how well WOW could handle it, but even just a choice of table or chair vs a different one could lead to some nice customization.

1 Like

I honestly feel like WOW would handle it just as well as raiding tbf, it can be done. And this time round if it breaks, its wont ruin the game because it won’t be a hub for questing. And players won’t be as upset as they were in WOD. If Blizzard learned anything from Garrisons, it was how to fix it with every player pouring into 1 instanced space, and the beauty of them splitting it up to every major city instead of 1 area is that the game will handle it much better than Garrisons ever could.

2 Likes

It really doesnt need to be much bigger than the pandarian farm. A bigger house, yes, that thing was tiny but the plot itself wasnt bad sized.

1 Like

Totally Agree, neighborhood with 10-40 players (raid size) with plots about the same size as the farm. Larger plots could be utilized as a guild hall smaller could be guild members, or for the solo players a public neighborhood.

Guild halls should be a thing as well, yes.

I hate to bring up FF14, because the way they rolled out housing was atrocious, but the way they have the wards set up is a good way.

1 Like

If you have never played, youtube the Lotro style of housing, they do it so well. Not as customizable as FFXIV but their engine (Turbine) is just as old as WOWs.

And I would be totally fine with the way Lotro does it.

1 Like

I have played, but never got that far. I log in once a year to do the christmas town, which has a quest titled “Ewwww”. Which i find hilarious and swore to do every year xD

HAHAHA, yea I only made it to like lvl 30, but man it’s a good nostalgic game to play when I’m truly bored and I don’t want to play OSRS.

1 Like

They could just use and reconfigure the garrisons, keep the features it has, add new ones, and install ports to the Garrison from Stormwind. And of course we have a hearthstone to it.

If you want to see REALLY cool player housing, go check out Everquest II. Came out the same time as Wow, but they have ALL kinds of player housing. And you can have multiple houses. Portals to your houses. Paintings, furniture, all kinds of “stuff”. It’s very cool. You can even “stuff” your mounts and drop them in your houses. They did guild halls really well too.

That’s what I’d like to see for Wow.

I don’t want them wasting time on something as useless (no gameplay value for most players) as player housing. I suggest if collector types really want housing they can fund a separate dev team to create that so we don’t have to continue playing recycled content because Uber casual collectors think pets and mounts are content