Player housing is stupid, and i hope it never gets added to WoW

There are plenty of games with it. I like that no dev time and money is wasted on this nonsense in WoW. Now if I could convince them to drop the PokeWoW bs, yay!

And yes, I advocate for what I want at the expense of what others want. Why wouldn’t I?

I find collecting (certain) things fun. I told my old bff for years I saw no point in transmog because there was no collections tab for it and it felt pointless at the time. Once it had a tab and cheeves I started collecting stuff and mogging and now I feel like I always have something I could be doing. Getting pets, mog, mounts, etc on my various toons could keep my plenty busy. I’ve started doing keys and stuff and that eats up a lot of time but I’d like to spend more time doing casual stuff as well. The world should never be neglected over lobby game stuff imo.

2 Likes

Because there’s a better than fair chance those things you want removed are the only things keeping this game profitable enough to keep the servers running.

1 Like

Yep. Instanced stuff is cool and all but that’s not what pulled me into the game. It was a gigantic, seamless world full of things to do, places to go, and enemies to defeat that hooked me. I didn’t even know what dungeons were until I racked up weeks of gameplay, and I didn’t know that raids even existed until I had been 60 for a few months.

WoW is about a lot more than spending all your time cooped up in hubs and instances.

2 Likes

If wow just went full raid/mythic+/pvp I’d nope out so hard. And so would most of the player base, I’d imagine.

3 Likes

Yes, I believe that high end instanced gameplay is more of a niche than some think.

1 Like

What’s better, them spending hundreds, if not thousands of man hours on yet another borrowed power system or “feature” that will inevitably become a chore that we will eventually forget about and never use in the next expansion?

Or them spending time on something that is very popular in other games and could be expanded upon forever?

2 Likes

I feel like if there was to be anything personal akin to player housing it could only at the most be like a venue/booth in a city designed for it. Something to get people out and seeing others in an opt-out scenario. Of course how can blizz have space for everyone on a server? Well that would require some time limit. Sort of like a show and tell continuous event in each of the majority cities. I want to see people but having everyone sequestered in a housing hides them. Like at times I’ve felt like a big fish on my own server but hopping over to illidan/a52 during prime time you got a whole parade of people showing off stuff. That feels more organic and you actually see bodies. Instead of people blipping out of existence to their own instance.

More dungeons and better outdoor content. I think the overall boss count we got in legion (40 bosses over 5 raids) and in bfa (39 over 5 raids) felt ok too. Maybe only bump it up to 45ish at most for the entire expansion.

Stuff to get people to bump shoulders trying to do. And the beginning is challenging to do solo, which then encourages people to group and socialize. And then as the expansion goes on we earn better gear (from wherever) allowing a player to earn independence in the outdoor content. Sort of like what we had with outdoor court of stars in legion. That place was so annoying and I remember for WQs picking mobs off solo near the port or canals in order to complete. And I grouped up here and there. By the end in 7.3/7.3.5 I could go through there and mow stuff down as needed.

And in some of those social interactions that can be opportunities to say to others, hey nice mog/mount/title.

They could also burn time and effort on yet more unnecessary total re-inventions of seemingly random specs for no good reason, instead of just fixing the specs as they are. So many options!

(also, hello fellow bleeding hollow)

Prior to the Cata revamp, Stormwind used to have a barred off portal on one city wall that was originally intended to lead to a player housing district. If you put an AH and bank in such that district, I’m sure a bunch of people would just hang out.

Sets of houses could rotate out with the phasing system, so one day you see one set of player houses and the next day you see another. They’d then add a bit of UI that would allow players to switch to “their” district shard whenever they wanted to so they always have access to their house.

1 Like

You know Blizz could easily afford to hire a bunch of people to just work on player housing and such right? That way they still have people to work raids and patches and everything else.

Edit: Well…they could’ve done that, but I don’t think that be as easy to do right now.

1 Like

As long as it doesn’t take away from all other professions being able to craft decos and the like for housing, that’s cool.

The core of WoW is many things to do, including pet battles and questing, as well. Don’t dismiss something just because you want to call it a “minigame.”

Yes. Because the expansion was over on a planet we couldn’t go back to canonically.

Irrelevant to real player housing.

Offense taken, considering other MMORPGs have housing and it’s not “Barbie.”

Your bad opinion isn’t everyone’s. You can ignore the other things people like and stop trying to devalue others.

5 Likes

No! Logic! What have you done?!?

Um, this game already puts quite a lot of focus on both of those. Not quite sure what you are getting at here.

Player housing (done right) would give us something else to do that isn’t just dungeons, raids, and PvP.

:wave:

2 Likes

With the amount of sharding to hold all the players and alts (which I think player housing should be account level to minimize house footprint), I feel like it just frays out into effectively too many.

Like the videos we see on youtube for peoples homes are obvious done up/that way so as to show off. And that entails there needs to be foot traffic beyond just yourself in said house. Maybe your own room can be the isolation area but a big table and chairs (simple example) needs people to be there to use/see/enjoy it.

And too many of those tables just splits things up just like how we have many dead servers.

And it sort of feels like player housing at most should be something at most on a guild level. But even then some guilds are just raid loggers or are dead.

Just saying that if there is to be housing, I personally want to see what other people have. And I want to see other people without blipping happening. So that to me feels like there should be like at a most just an outdoor (non-instanced) district in a city with rotations on housing. Much like that area could have been before removal.

And to tie it all up though. The conditions for the above really in my mind seem to circle/boil down to one key thing. Gold. Fewer plots that are not instanced, bring the gold/tax talk up. And I don’t think people would enjoy being taxed to keep a public facing home up. Or feel particularly happy if they were crowded out/gentrified by largest gold earners on the server.

1 Like

8 dungeons was not enough for this expansion to start off. Should have been like 10-12 at launch with one megadungeon. And then a megadungeon at the mid-way point. Anything to get to around 15-16 dungeons by the expansion end. And then maybe with that dungeon variety they could finally drop the need to have tyrannical/fortified affix that makes people not want to do certain weeks.

well, how exactly did either of you answer my question? there’s no trolling involved… seems you just can’t discuss this intellectually without feeling offended.

Yeah, the problem with having to buy plots is that almost instantaneously, all plots will be bought up by AH goblins and token buyers, after which it will become impossible to buy a house without doling out millions and millions of gold (basically exactly what’s happening IRL as we speak). I don’t play it so I haven’t seen it firsthand, but reportedly FFXIV player housing has this problem to an extreme degree.

So for everybody to be able to enjoy it, the system cannot have significant scarcity issues. Perhaps the answer here is to have player housing areas in almost every zone in the game, which would increase supply and allow a wider range of pricing since housing in the city is probably going do be more valued than housing out in Tanaris or something.

I totally get it. You dont play Dungeons, Raid or PvP. You want your game which is not related to Dungeons, Raid or PvP to be put on the game.

who are you even asking… me? if so, Rift. they were called dimensions.