Player housing is a waste

Why is it “cringe”
You say MMO but seem to forget that WoW itself is an MMORPG. Player housing creates an immersive environment especially for RPers.
What’s cringe is that people on the forums here seem to think that only their playstyle is worth the devs dabbling in.

2 Likes

I’d be super happy if they just updated the garrison a bunch and kept updating it over time. Throw in some more buildings for the various sized lots, put garrison resources in more types of content…

Garrison could be a decent groundwork, but it’s not good enough as is. I’d much rather have personal housing than guild housing.

2 Likes

Agreed…It’s a shame your post has been ignored.

1. SWG had actual MMO housing. Does not matter if you can get different sizes(plans) Most MMOs have houses of various sizes. Same with being able to own more than one.

ESO allows you to own 1 of every type of home. there are over 40 of them…

1. Rust is not an MMO. None of this means anything.

I don’t believe wow can do player housing the way many want it to be with current wow tech. Otherwise it would have been done.

Well its not being spent on player housing and every thing is average to below average. Might as well give it a try

2 Likes

correct. tossing ideas around.
they eventually had to put decay on them because people would build entire villages and then might not come back. also anything you could pick up you could display in house or even inside spaceships. and you could build anywhere on several different planets as long as it was so many feet away from cities. the zones were huge,

yes its massively multiplayer and online

Your opinion is noted.

I believe there are more than a few folks aside from myself who do not share it.

This is not new.

1 Like

And which of those “homes” can I decorate? Change the furniture, put art on the wall, show off my collections? Clearly, you have no concept why players want housing, so maybe stay in your own lane.

2 Likes

This is a stupid thread because it implies that the same team that could be working on player housing are also the ones that design boss encounters.

Not going to keep arguing things that are obvious to all but a few just because you want survival housing to be called MMO housing and have no clue why you keep attempting to tell me about MMO housing in other games at the same time.

I already am well aware of the many types of housing in MMOs from UO all the way up to current MMOs.

Anyone who thinks class balancing is more important than a housing system is out of their minds.

1 Like

Anyone who believes this never got to experience WildStar housing, and I feel bad for them.

1 Like

I’m starting to think that one of the problems with modern wow is that there are so many refugees from other failed MMOs that want to transplant the worst features of those games into this one.

Leave bad ideas in those other games please.

That game is quite literally the poster child for doing everything wrong. A big reason “,nobody got to experience” it was cause the game barely lasted a year or two before shutting down.

1 Like

I have to disagree with this. The number one problem with Garrisons is that people were forced to do it. That in and of itself made Garrisons undesirable to a number of people. The second problem was the lack of customizable options. People were not able to really make it feel like a personal home. Garrisons are a military base, not a home, unless your rp involves being in the military. Third problem was that it did too much for players. You could make a ton of gold, have a bank, AH, fishing spot, and herbs while never having to leave the Garrison. It made the world empty in a way which was not fun.

Personally I feel the closest we came to the type of player housing I would like to see is the MoP farm. The location was good, it did not do too much, had a few quest with it, and most importantly it felt like a house. Player housing is a reflection of the players that create it. The Garrison nor the farm really allow for that. This is why people keep asking for housing.

Just like not many people raid, pvp, do world content, pet battle, or craft not many people will spend a lot of time with housing. That is okay but it could be ever green content with quests for items. Clickable items in the world, in raids, in dungeons, and even in mythic+. Pvpers could also have their themed items as well and trophies for display. Even armor set displays like by the tender people.

There is a lot that can be done to make housing engaging while still keeping it optional. Having profession areas would be nice even having cosmetic areas for mining/ herbs. I look around WoW and see there at a ton of things that can be done, while still fitting with WoW’s style and the fact that WoW is an RPG as well as an MMO.

2 Likes

In a game that lags with more than fifty people in one area… You’re never going to get anything but instanced housing.

But all of it’s moot because we don’t have word on it being in the works

The garrison isn’t housing, it’s a garrison. The garrison doesn’t really belong to the player.

Do you call the farm from MoP a “form” of player housing too?

2 Likes

just offering ideas, incase any devs read this thread. presumably not everyone at the decision table is a 20+ year mmorpg’er.

Cool idea about the Farm. I think we have enough of a foundation for “housing” in things like the farm/garrisons that an instanced loft in a major city just seems pointless.

I’d rather we see those old systems just be transplanted into the world. So maybe each zone has an area where we can place a garrison/farm. Add a couple of basic skins so your garrison could instead be a manor/mage tower, etc so not everyone has to have a “garrison”-like home.

I think having the option to make something like this is every zone would be very cool. I just don’t think something brand new is required when Garrisons and the Farm are perfect foundations for this. And already better than most MMO housing.

What ideas? This game cannot do a survival game build-a-base. No persistent world MMO can and I doubt they would make what would essentially end up having to be a second game inside WoW to give everyone an instance where they could do that.

Also, that style is not new, its just combining RTS base building with The Sims house building. Oblivion had it via player mods around 2007, Fallout 3 got one not long after its 2008 release.