Player Agency and Covenants

Ah, call me “thin-skinned” if you think it will be effective in convincing people they were asking for this.

Nobody asked for this. We’ve been told choices will be impactful because there should be consequences to choices. And we’ve also been told they will be inconsequentially small.

We’ve also been told it’s the fault of those bad min maxers who apparently were never supposed to want to be good players. Devs never wanted anybody to be raiders, they just created the content for no reason.

You guys need to get your stories together better. Because I never saw a single poster ask for a single choice at the beginning of the expansion that will lock their play into a strict zero-option track for the entire expansion, which they should enjoy for the purity of the game design.

If you need to make up nonsense like “lots of people asked for gameplay restrictions and penalties”, where are those people now? I see only a few of you spamming those ineffective copy paste arguments about the joy of playing a game that has purity of design.

What choices do people have once you’ve forced them to lock themselves into a rut? “Here, regrind this rep with another covenant, and when you’re done you’ll be 2 months behind”.

Choose a covenant now or else you won’t even be able to play. That’s not an “or else”? In what way?

Was it 5 or 10 players who asked for this?

3 Likes

Haha yes, it’s not for everyone. I’ve played at tables like that… For some reason the roster kept changing!

i would be totally down for that. i have no idea the ability i’m getting for necro but it doesn’t really matter to me. for those that it does matter to make them all different colored versions of the same thing!

2 Likes

Look all he had to do was check for a trap. He didn’t. You know what happen next.

3 Likes

i think i agree with you about the talents. my issue is with switching the convenants themselves. which i still think should be involved to do. make them all the same thing with different visuals if you need to.

2 Likes

Okay, that’s not nearly as bad as the GM I played with who would get angry and berate the players for taking more than 30 seconds for their turn (true story, that didn’t last long).

In fact, killing players with traps is a time honored tradition. My first GM dropped my first character down a 90 foot hole one time.

1 Like

I’m calling you thin-skinned because you’re freaking out over one choice.

You can opt out of a Covenant if you don’t like it. There are consequences, but the option is still there.

I said nothing of the sort.

Two months behind what? This is a MMO, not a competitive race.

Welcome to modern gaming.

This seems like the easiest compromise all around - plus it would save the devs a ton of work with trying to balance everything out against each other.

3 Likes

you do get where i’m coming from about the rpg choice though right? we were arguing about different things i think. lol

3 Likes

No way. Blizzard tried that method with essences and corruption and look how that turned out.

zoumz my dude i hope your chosen covenant gives you a bazillion dps increase and you can go hang with all the loa and have an EXCELLENT expansion experience. XD

2 Likes

Yeah in a very simple and basic game/environment, I can see wanting to preserve some kind of RP choice. But WoW just seems too large and expansive, with so many ways to play; not just what you play (raid/M+/pvp/BG’s/etc.) but how you play - RP vs Heroic Raid and done till next tier vs Try-Hard for parses vs. Cutting Edge raider, etc.

To impose a system that crosses the RP and Performance boundaries seems really unfair to a lot of people.

Even still though - like I’ve been saying this entire time, if people had the ability to switch, and I valued sticking with one covenant - I could still do so, and not be impacted in any way by others being able to change whenever they like.

He’s saying keep the choice from the cosmetic and story standpoint only and let people swap abilities however they please, or even make them all just cosmetic variations of one another.

3 Likes

yep. i don’t care what they do with the abilities. the mogs and stuff are why i’m choosing my stuff. or like uther for my pallies. stuff like that. people who want the best ability should get the best ability.

2 Likes

Yeah - that makes the most sense as a compromise to appease all side of the issue.

Unless you’re one of those people that just want others to play the game how you want and enjoy them being punished if they differ.

Just curious - would you be ok with them opening up all the aesthetics after the expansion is over?

Or would you want people to have to go back, switch, and re-earn old content to be able to get a different xmog item in the future?

i’m not sure on that. idk if they’ll let you use all the different mogs or just the ones you have an affinity for. that’s something they’ll have to clarify for us later i think.

1 Like

I think people need to get learn that game play always has to come before RP

You know what. You are right. Forget design concept. Give me solo mythic raiding and keys. Let me change classes/ specs/ races with the click of a button. Let me go horde or alliance depending on how I feel any given moment. Why should I have to wipe on a boss to kill it? That’s not fun. Make the game fun.

I think next I’ll post on the FIFA game website. Tell them to give up soccer, its not fun. Tell them to change it into baseball. Let me rp as Ronaldo and play center field. Would be much fun.

You can change races, specs, factions, etc. at the click of a button; well a few buttons.

You just have to pay Blizzard money for some of those. Some you can do freely.