Perma-Banned, but Innocent

Hello everyone, i was curious to see if anyone else was affected the same was i was. I was Perma-banned a few days ago for botting/hacking. I have never done this in any game ever… So im wondering what could have triggered this. I had been farming dungeons on my main (level 80 warlock) for cloth on my alt and ore for the same alt and just mailing it to myself. While waiting for a buddy to hop on to play with (we are trying to only play these toons together). I went home for xmas (different state) for about a week and came back and was thinking that could have triggered it. My buddies seem to think its another scenario that i highly doubt could have triggered it, but i was in a dungeon and kicked someone from my party because he was being very rude to everyone in the party, he ran up to me and told me to “Kill yourself irl”. I never said anything to him even throughout the dungeon. My buddies seem to think he reported me for botting/hacking and it happen to stick as the ban happened the following morning.
Lastly i use only traditional addons like weakauras and DBM and such.

This is my first ban ever, never been notified of doing anything wrong before. So im curious to see what the issue was.

I would love some insight from our community on this topic and to see if there is anything i can do besides trying to appeal it as i have already.

Thanks in advance everyone!

p.s. I just posted this on the WoW Classic forums but someone suggested i make the post here.

1 Like

The way to have any account action reviewed is through a ban appeal - through a ticket, Microbyte.

7 Likes

I understand, i have posted a ban appeal but was hoping for some insight as to what the issue possibly could have been while i wait for a response

You’re not going to get specifics - that’s information the botters/scammers want so they can avoid detection.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Blizzard will not go into specifics as to why an account action is applied other than the reasoning stated in the email.

1 Like

Oh i understand that, i guess i was seeking examples of addons i could have been using or something. But i guess youre right, I guess im just wondering how its possible to get perma banned for a first offense. Everyone i have spoken to has stated that i must have past infractions but i never have had any.

Addons (which run in Blizzard’s LUA sandbox) would not trigger an account action. If Blizzard doesn’t like what an addon is doing, they simply remove the functions it was using.

5 Likes

From what I understand about how botting/hacking investigations work, I think it’s unlikely that it was based on something recent, especially as recent as a player reporting you the night before you were banned. It sounds to me like those investigations are usually in the weeks-long range. Also, a player reporting you because they were mad won’t get you banned if you didn’t do anything – there must have been something in Blizzard’s logs that made it look like you were hacking/botting to a GM’s eyes.

I’d suggest thinking back further. What happened may not be obvious from a player’s perspective, though. You should also make sure your account is secure and you’re the only one who has access to it.

Regardless, I hope your appeal gets reviewed soon, and if you truly did nothing then I hope the ban gets overturned.

4 Likes

Thanks for the good wishs!
The only thing i can think of possible is farming materials for my alt, while on my main and sending it all to my alt. I also have an authenticator on my account and am the only one who can access it.

Just to add on to what I said:

If you use external software to automate keystrokes such as AutoHotKey or macro software from a keybord or mouse, that can trigger an account action - which would fall under automation. If it can’t be done with the in-game macro editor, then it shouldn’t be done at all.

The general rule of thumb is one keystroke = one action, not including the press and hold casting feature.

2 Likes

I understand that, I dont use outside key macros though as they seem too much, i dont understand why people would need to use these as its super easy just to press the buttons yourself…

Edit: Terise beat me to it.
The only thing I ever see mentioned here that would be likely to bite someone who really was innocent is programs designed to customize how keyboards or the like operate. That is, there’s software that allows you to have one key press on the keyboard take multiple actions within a program. There have been reports that if these are installed, they can trigger something for Blizzard even if you never use them in WoW. Obviously none of us know for sure if that happens, and Blizzard isn’t going to tell us, for reasons already explained. Just something you could look for that may or may not be related.

3 Likes

Are you appealing a first offense? I thought you were innocent.

2 Likes

Why wouldnt they apeal its to remove any black marks that were applied in error.

6 Likes

This looks like it was escalated for further review, Microbyte.

Just done, so it will likely be just a few days before the results are in.

9 Likes

this is a first offense for me, but what ever happened resulted in a perma ban, Thats what im appealing. @Orlyia Thanks for the update, i replied to it so cross your fingers!

I hope ur not replying to the email that wont be read leave ur ticket open.

3 Likes

I was just informed that i should replay to the ticket to keep it open. It did show answered haha Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

You woudlnt be the first player to reply to the email i did that.

1 Like

Just thought i would let everyone know that i was just unbanned today! Thanks for all the good wishes and all the tips everyone!

13 Likes