"Perhaps now the Horde will see that, too."

I mean, I get what everyone is saying, but there’s a line one of the valkyr say when theyre mourning their fallen sister along the lines of ‘there are so few of us left now’. Which is true, since Sylvanas didn’t get that valkyr queen goddess in her palm.

I can agree the NE playerbase (hell, most of the WoW playerbase myself included) get shafted left right and center during this expansion, but trivializing the loss of a by-no-means expendable resource like a valkyr shouldnt be taken lightly.

Brynja was a meaningless loss. Sylvanas needs 3 to rez herself. She had 4. Now she has 3. Which means she still has the same number of extra lives. Because true to everything Sylvanas does or anything that can affect her. If its negative it’s never negative enough to really inconvenience her.

Not technically meaningless, they could focus on the fact that this leaves Sylvanas with the choice of sacrificing her people’s future for one extra life; which could be an interesting redo of the early Legion plan for her character.

EDIT: Since she currently doesn’t seem to be able to raise more then mindless undead at least.

You wouldn’t consider the loss of security at having an extra valkyr at least inconvenient? That at the very least severely limits her options and endangers her extended life. Not a trivial thing, that.

Sylvanas is the only character in the history of WoW to have canonical extra lives like a DBZ character.
Her losing the Val’kyr just means she is reduced to the same level as any other character.

The fact that all she lost was a mere spare is insulting really.

1 Like

Considering Sylvanas is the only one who’s plans always go off without a hitch? No. Because she’ll probably just make the remaining 3 stay at her side at all times from now on.

Yeah, Genn didnt do anything to mess up any of her plans in Legion. Or her own arrogance causing her to screw up her revenge at Icecrown. Or the same before Arthas bootscooted to Northrend. Or losing UC to Varimathras and Put. (Please don’t tell me you’re going to accept the retcon on that.)

5 Likes

Accept it? If it turns out Alex wasn’t just tripping on his own farts at the time then yes. Like it? No.

Hmm … as a side note, I believe the terms of her deal with the Val’kyr were that “As long as they walk free, she walks free”, which suggests unless it only takes two to bring her back next time, she’s going to hell. Even if it doesn’t suggest that, the reality that she would have to choose either her own resurrection or the sustainability of the entire Forsaken race is a harsh one (especially since I don’t doubt for a second she’d choose herself over them).

I agree, and thats why I think she should get the boot, as sorry as it is to have to deal with another Garrosh situation. Regardless of how I may be coming across, I’m not a Sylvanas fan these days. Her post Wrath schtick has been awful.

Saying that, I don’t think trivializing the loss of a valkyr is helpful. I’m pretty sure that everyone in WoW is clueless as to what awaits them after death, all except Sylvanas who knows she’s going to hell (or the equivalent).

That retcon was so narratively nonsensical on every level that I’m not sure how to approach anyone accepting of it.

2 Likes

Didn’t she go to that hell specifically BECAUSE she escaped a proper death?
If a paladin or a druid dies he doesn’t go where she did. They go somewhere else.

Or am I misunderstanding something?

At this point it’s most likely I’m misunderstanding.

It’s all about the context.

See, back when it had first happened and before Cata set her on to kill herself, yes it comes off as complete nonsense.

However knowing that after Arthas dies she offs herself without so much as two hoots given to what will become of the forsaken in her absence is makes far more sense; She just wanted Arthas dead. And damn the costs. If the Wrathgate paid off and Arthas died along with all the Alliance and Horde forces present, it was fine so long as he was dead and gone. Her unlifes goal was complete and she would go on to off herself without a care.

And if it didn’t succeed, then she could have just pointed at Val and Putt as the culprits, although that works only if she did not order the attack, but rather knew it was in the works and did nothing to stop it.

1 Like

No, she most likely went to the Shadowlands because she no longer was a major player for the Light rather then her actions as an undead or her state as an undead (since the Light only intervenes in specific deaths as shown in the Bridenbrand questline).
The lore seems to suggest that the Shadowlands is a horrific place where all souls are naturally pulled to but that outside forces can ‘redirect’ said souls elsewhere (hence the paladins, druids, and trolls going to respective patrons)

I think the loss of a Val’kyr in Darkshore would be much more of a significant loss if two criteria were met. Firstly, that Sylvanas had found a way to empower the Val’kyr, which helps the image of Tyrande being more powerful than ever. The second, would be a comment from Sylvanas or Nathanos that they now had too few Val’kyr remaining to sustain the creation of new Forsaken.

Couple that second point with the Horde player following Nathanos to a Battlefield to raise more Night Elves as Forsaken, and the Alliance player and Tyrande show up and Tyrande instantly one-shots every raised Forsaken in the blink of an eye, and I think it’d help. You’d have Nathanos telling the Horde PC to get the Val’kyr to safety because said Val’kyr is far too weak from the raising to defend herself. Back at camp add a little line from Nathanos such as, “That is the third time Tyrande has destroyed our freshly risen troops, and the Val’kyr are too exhausted to raise more! We need to get them out of Darkshore. They’ll be useless for far too long now. Months. Sylvanas will not be pleased.”

5 Likes

Was the existing Alliance power wank not enough for you?

7 Likes

You and I can still log in. It will never be enough.

7 Likes

There’s no point to this part, because the alliance player isn’t there to see it.

2 Likes

I don’t think the devs are talking to the Horde playerbase through Alliance only content.

This being said, Jaina is still right. Sylvanas is evil and Baine is not.

2 Likes

Perhaps. Could be Alliance players are told the same thing at camp. Or it’s a move to impress upon Horde players the kinds of powers Tyrande has. Either way I think it would do a lot more for players to see the Night Warrior as a true increase to power, without outright changing what’s already in-game. Seeing Tyrande literally showing up each time they try to raise more Night Elves, and shutting them down to the point the Val’kyr are exhausted and useless, is a way to go about this.

1 Like