People seem to love to insult the lead narrative designer

It’s funny how people have the audacity to attack Steve Danuser and yet they can’t prove themselves to be a better writer and show for it. Yet they seem to have this mindset that Dragonflight will be equally as bad or worse than say shadowlands in the narrative department.

And I’ll ask this how can you know it’s going to be worse or equally as bad as shadowlands without going through it (yet?)

11 Likes

I probably don’t know how to make a better TV show than Daniel Weiss… but I can still say that Game of Thrones Season 8 sucked.

162 Likes

Steve Danuser is a case of “Peter Principle”. He’s an expert on multimedia integration / transmedia narrative, not an actual storyteller. Technically the role of Narrative Director is still vacant, Danuser has simply assumed the role de facto as they have yet to backfill after Afrasabi left.

34 Likes

In what world is a random fan supposed to be a better writer than someone who makes six figures for designing narratives?

People know what they like.

46 Likes

I don’t need to be a chef to know that dirt tastes gross. As for personal insults. I don’t condone them, but the game’s story has gone downhill.

93 Likes

You don’t need to be a professional writer to know when a story is poorly written. That’s like not being a professional chef and not knowing when food tastes bad.

Story-wise, Shadowlands was the worst in the entire history of Warcraft. This includes WC1 and 2 where it was basically, “Orcs bad, kill Orcs.” That’s why people are nervous. BfA is a close second.

Personally I feel like they’re taking the right steps for Dragonflight…but there’s ample reason to worry.

For the record! I write as a hobby and for my RP characters, and I enjoy the stories I write up. I won’t say I’m the best writer, but I think it’s fun to do! And also a good reason to have a healthy amount of care for the narrative.

56 Likes

I would say season 8 was good up until the last 2 episodes. If you stop watching after the Ice king dies its a good season :rofl:

2 Likes

See everything to do with Sylvanas post WoltK

19 Likes

y

Dragonflight’s narrative is bad. It’s not aggressively bad but it is still bad.

7 Likes

I’m considering it a ‘reset’ from the nonsense that is the narrative from the last two expansions. I can’t say for certain if it’ll pan out or not, but I am staying optimistic.

…It can’t be as bad as it currently is.

6 Likes

I think it’s more funny when people really think you need to be a good writer to notice when something is bad. Especially considering the medium has a big reliance on an audience. It’s laughable.

27 Likes

The buck stops at the top.
Just as one does not have to be a vintner to tell champagne from vinegar, players do not need to be top flight authors to call the iffy writing here out.

37 Likes

The entire season was a mess, but the second they threw Jamie Lannister’s character development out the window was when they lost me.

6 Likes

Not picking sides in the debate.

It’s just really funny seeing people rant about the story and then drop the biggest load of Livejournal teen fic I have ever read as their “fix it”.

9 Likes

Sure.

That’s not a high bar at all though. In fact, I can’t think of how you could set the bar lower.

It being not as bad as Shadowlands therefore you’re optimistic is uhh… wow. Okay.

2 Likes

I won’t disagree here at all. But at least it’s actually in azeroth this time. Although they keep trying to make it not warcraft even in DF lmao.

4 Likes

Facts.

Big difference between saying: “Boy, this guy sucks at writing” and “Even I could do better than this.”

The truth is, no, you probably can not.

7 Likes

Fair enough.

I can’t deny that Dragonflight LOOKS like Warcraft, at least in its zone designs. Character designs, VA? That’s a different topic though (kekw Dracthyr).

2 Likes

His char had reached its peak though. He knew his flaws and faults but simply accepted them. He knew no matter what he did or changed about himself he would be forver known as the kingslayer and the dude who was banging his sister. He knew redemption was never an option for him.

1 Like

It was still a terrible writing choice. Should have had him go down swinging in Winterfell or something. Started off as a villain and died a hero. That would have been a win.

4 Likes