People seem to love to insult the lead narrative designer

I would honestly love to see a fan contest where people have to write an MMO narrative. You are given your desired beats, your cutscenes to design, your quests. As you’re working you are told you need to consolidate x, y, z, skip a and put b on ice all because the content structure changed.

Then get told they are axing a patch and you have 2 months to make it make sense.

Unironically this would be a fun challenge imho. Without the pressure of it actually having to be a live product, that is.

8 Likes

I still have no idea why they made the conscious decision to make super soldier dragons that deathwing never tried to replicate for some reason out of thin air instead of building off on the drakonids and dragonspawn that were already humanoid type dragons in the game lol.

14 Likes

Oh I’d do it in a heartbeat and my tripe would probably be so rank it would curl milk.

3 Likes

I ain’t no helicopter pilot but if I see a helicopter stuck in a tree then I can clearly say “Well someone messed up”

43 Likes

:rofl:

Yeah, pretty much!

2 Likes

Yeah, so this is what I wanted to say but only 10x better.

5 Likes

And yet no one has answer this specific question…

How would you know if Dragonflight will be worse than say Shadowlands or be equally as bad as Shadowlands?

2 Likes

You should change it to "people love to insult ‘insert anything and everything.’

1 Like

No one knows for sure, and you know this too. Please. So, we are criticizing his current/past work, which is much less than stellar, and if it is anything to go by then Dragonflight is basically doomed. If not, then yay! I hope that’s the outcome. But it doesn’t bode well at the moment after what we’ve witnessed already.

9 Likes

What amuses me most is the same people who claim Danuser is a hack writer for SL and BFA wanna fix it by saying SL was all a dream, their proposed “solution” is the laziest and worst writing trope to ever exist…

This is like the “don’t have to be a cook to know a steak is bloody raw and inedible” idea except instead of just CALLING OUT the cook, you went into the kitchen yourself and made an equally terrible steak…

4 Likes

I mean the story was wonky the last two expansions.

Thankfully in the beta, things seem better. Altho I have to keep dropping feedback of “These characters didnt know me until recently. Why are they talking to me like we’ve been buds for years?” “I’m a dracthyr why would I ask a dragon “Wait are you a vulpera or a dragon?” ? Even my non dracthyr toon would definitely know dragons can do this.”

3 Likes

I have beta access and I can say it’s decent to good. (It’s not the finished product but still a sneak peek)

1 Like

I will have to see for myself. You will have to forgive me for not taking your word for it.

6 Likes

But how can you know that if you’re not a writer yourself? Because that’s how it works right?

16 Likes

I might not be a writer but I do read chapter books in my spare time.

1 Like

And it’s amazing how laziest and worst writing trope to ever exist could arguably be an improvement.

6 Likes

Cataclysm, Warlords of Dreanor, Battle for Azeroth, and Shadowlands! they made these 4 expansions, how should i trust them?
Your logic is i should be going back to a abuser because there are some days he is nice.

9 Likes

Cataclysm was a hot mess, and that is putting it nicely. Warlords of Draenor’s story was fantastic…up until you hit level cap and ran through all the zones. It basically just died there. Then they had to pivot real quick because they abandoned WoD for Legion. lol It could have been wonderful if given enough time, and if they had not cut so much content before release. The WoW ship was sinking quickly though so they decided to cut their losses. They called it a “filler” expansion, but we all know what it truly was.

3 Likes

My pinky toenail is a better writer than Steve Danauser. But to be fair, my pinky toenail is a better writer than an over-median number of non-professional writers. He lacks a feel for character-driven story and just wants to string together flashy gotcha plot moments without putting in the work to establish those moments as being impactful. He doesn’t understand what motivates the characters in the story, and why that makes a story worth caring about. Even beyond the prose, from a structural standpoint the storytelling is bad.

But, as others have said, you don’t need to be able to do something to say if the end result is entertaining and makes sense to the audience.

11 Likes

No one does but even if I were to say “DF is better than Shadowlands,” that’d come off as a left-handed compliment given how bad Shadowlands is.

We’re in a situation where the story has to be miles better to just be OK - forgive me if I’m skeptical the same guy who attached his name to Shadowlands can pull it off.

2 Likes