People mass flagging

Well, yeah. The post had been deleted. But you know which topic it was, so I’m sure you can understand the general nature of the conversation, and how you responded.

Maybe give a suggestion in the Website Feedback Forum that moderated messages should be included in the e-mail. I think that’s pretty reasonable.

2 Likes

thank you for the link, You posted it while I was typing. I will use this.

Yes, my main concern was just not knowing what happened. In these threads I see people getting flagged and hidden for really no reason that I could see. So when that happens what can a person do?

Not much. A moderator will look at the post and either delete it if it’s found to violate the rules or leave it be if there’s nothing to be done.

1 Like

I would rather not. I would like to do that in private, because I think I am being targeted. I am using a different character to post this for this very reason. The link has my name in it.

So question for you Vrak.
Are we able to flag posts from users that have a name violation? IIRC the old forum had an option where you’d select the Other option with a text box but this one doesn’t have that.

There’s an appeals process in place. But before that, there’s nothing a player NEEDS to do. Someone, or lots of someones, can report your posts all day, but if they don’t violate the policy, nothing will ever happen. THEY may get actioned by Blizzard, but you’ll never know about it, and it’ll never affect you.

So, what you need to do is just make sure your posts are not violating the CoC. Or in this case, as Vrak pointed out, your names don’t violate the naming policy.

2 Likes

Thank you for your time, I will submit a ticket for further review. Thanks everyone for replying.

1 Like

You can post the link, then immediately edit the post and delete the link. Just be sure to replace it with something that is at least 10 characters long. Vrak will be able to see the original post before you made the edit.

4 Likes

thanks again, but I will just submit a ticket. Thanks for your help.

You’ll want to include it in the appeal then, otherwise the Moderator won’t have any idea what post you are referencing.

Mouse, looking at your recent ticket history it appears you submit two appeal tickets already, so you seem to know how to appeal. O.o

As for the hidden post, it was a response that feel under trolling. It was removed and no penalty applied. Keep a focus on the discussion, and avoid attacking the individual.

We don’t have a specific option for it but you can report a post as inappropriate. It isn’t the primary task of a moderator to also review names, but they generally will on those that tend to be highly inappropriate.

4 Likes

We cannot see if a post is flagged.

And that was addressed by Vrak in his first post.

This is incongruous. If you truly understood the flagging system, you would also understand that it can’t be abused in the way you are asserting has been done to you.

Just to be clear, that’s not exactly the case in the new forums. If enough people flag your post/tread, then the system locks the thread pending review. It will also hide a player’s post pending review. So it’s not totally accurate to say that “nothing” will happen if they report anymore. It was certainly true of the old forum though :wink:

Unfortunately, there have been several instances where people use alts, different wow accounts or different battle.net accounts to spam reports in an effort to lock a thread or hide a post. The new forums treat every posting character as a new ‘account’ when it considers flags on a post. It’s likely a side-effect of being able to post on our characters instead of our battle tag.

So while any actual account action does indeed require an actual moderator, the OP is asking what they can do in the event of mass reports…which is to simply wait for the mod-squad to look over the reports and take any appropriate action (including on those who inappropriately abuse the feature).

1 Like

I should also mention that the post in question received two reports. They were by no means mass reported.

11 Likes

There’s nothing that can be done to stop other people from reporting. legitimate or otherwise.

If Blizzard doles out punishment for frivolous reporting hopefully that will provide a deterrent. But as forum goers there’s nothing we can do to prevent it.

4 Likes

That’s true. You will notice if the thread is locked. Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

Indeed. We’re working on a way to not have the system treat each character individually, but for now those are the limitations. Because some of the systems in place on these forums have an automated aspect, those who try to abuse the reporting option may find themselves suspended from the forums as a result and not merely silenced, maybe permanently so if they continue the behavior. Our moderators are on the look out for reporting abuse.

9 Likes

I recently had a post in a topic I started flagged and hidden. It was short, to the point, and not the least bit offensive. Other posters even mentioned they had no idea why this would be hidden, and neither do I. I consider this abuse of the system, because there was absolutely no reason to flag this post other than spite for not agreeing with my viewpoint.

This thread has received a lot of replies, with a lot of good feedback and discussion. I hope the moderator will look at this post soon, and unhide it. And I hope they will take another look at the system and make it undesirable for posters to flag inappropriately.

1 Like

This is sadly not the place to get in touch with moderators about your post being hidden. Should you wish to do so, you’d need to send up an appeal here: https://us.battle.net/support/en/help/product/services/665

3 Likes

Posters who develop a history of inappropriately flagging threads get their forum privileges suspended and can be banned from the forums.

Flagged posts are generally reviewed within a day or so to determine if the flagging is appropriate or not.

5 Likes