People DIDN'T Know What They Signed Up For

I’ve always played PvP servers. Played them even before WoW was a thing, and played them in vanilla.

It always has been exactly what it is now.

There’s more people than probably healthy for a pvp server, but it’s fundamentally unchanged.

I’m a human rogue on Stalagg, and I think the story of my last evening is a prime example of why Classic is dying, and why it’s nothing like vanilla:

My guild killed Onyxia last night. In and out fast, 20 minute raid, np.

The real adventure started when I hearthed to IF.

I tabbed out, but I have WoW’s sound play even if I’m not in the window. Within 12 seconds of the hearth sound finishing, I heard a cheapshot go off. Tab in to find out I’m being ganked by an orc rogue. A few other guildies hearthed at the same time, so he died about 10 seconds into his combo (he gouged to regen energy).

The three of us walked out and were promptly sniped to death by horde across the chasm; a raid of about 15.

I run back to my corpse, res, and run to the AH. While I’m checking auctions, a mage and a rogue gank me. I do not have the time to fight back; I melt to a pom pyro + backstab in the kidney shot. I run back to my corpse, and witness two other horde rogues, a mage, and a druid gank other flagged alliance in the AH before I res. One rogue dies, the others flee into the ravine and the guards leash.

Upon ressing I walk towards the bank, open up the mailbox, and tab out.

I step away to grab a drink, and come back to my corpse. I check the combat log, and a rogue + mage stunned and pom-pyro’d me. I see their corpses, so at least they died.

At this point, less than 3 minutes have passed. I have died three times, in the busiest alliance capitol city, and I have not fought back to extend my pvp timer.

I res, walk into the bank, and tab out behind one of the pillars, thinking I’ll be safe. I am not, and tab back in less than 20 seconds later at the sound of a cheap shot. I’m melted by a pyroblast + rogue again. I want to emphasis that none of these are the same players. Every single instance of being killed is at the hands of a different set of horde players.

I run back again. I now have a res timer, though not a long one. Having learned my lesson (that I cannot even be flagged in a capitol city), I tab out for two minutes, and res once my flag has expired.

Ironforge has numerous empty houses, and at any point there are usually 3+ horde groups (usually between 10-20 players) camping out in several of them, farming honor.

Their is usually one across from the inn, one in the path from the AH area to the military ward, and another one from the military ward to the flight point.

This isn’t talking about the mage ward or the rogue area; both of which have 5+ rogues spread throughout them, at all times of the day, ganking. This is not a rare occurrence, this is a constant state of affairs.

Alliance players in Stalagg have come to realize that, upon flying back into Ironforge, they will almost always be ganked at the flight point. We have come to realize that, when we walk out of the portal area in the mage quarter, there are numerous rogues waiting to gank us; and we’d best move as a group, or else they’ll kill us. Every time I run down the little tunnels to either side of the AH, to head to the forge area, my butt clenches. There are frequently rogues in this area, and I am expecting one or two of them to gank me at any moment.

This is absolute !*@&ing insanity.

The Horde are in IF. The horde are in SW. The horde are even in Darnassus. And I don’t mean one or two, I mean straight up raids camping entry points, flight paths, and other ways into the city to farm alliance for honor.

Again, I played in vanilla. I was ganked in cities and I, as a rogue, ganked in cities. Having a rogue in the city, ganking, was an unusual occurrence. It was welcome because it added an air of excitement, and you’d frequently see cities mobilize to hunt down these invaders and drive them out.

Not anymore.

This is not what vanilla wow was. Early server moves, expanded server sizes, and just straight up meta knowledge has corrupted the environment. More than that, Blizzard’s lack of foresight has ruined it.

I’m not calling for faction ques or anything, but something has to give. Making guards an actual appreciable threat, perhaps with insane leash ranges, would be a very much welcome start.

I never considered quitting, but I am now. I can’t even go from the auction house to the mailbox without being forced to leap-from corpse hop, and I’m getting pretty fed up with it.

6 Likes

You are the perfect example of a whiner.

At no point in your story did you even attempt to PvP, you just talked about how you weren’t doing ANYTHING or PvEing and got killed in PvP on a PvP server.

If you’re entire purpose isn’t to PvP, you should not be on a PvP server.

Also it’s LAUGHABLE that you’re complaining about being ganked in your main cities. Rogues are the only ones who can kill people in alliance cities, whereas entire groups can roll up on any horde city and farm us just fine between all the back and side entrances and massive traffic areas that have ZERO npcs.

Every time I go to UC I expect to die. And rightfully so.

You CLEARLY don’t belong on a PvP server, and I hope that free transfers to PvE become available so you can thrive and enjoy WoW like you were before phase 2.

im sorry. your story isn’t believable. PVP is not on in newbzones/cities. You have to flag yourself just like a pve server unless you’re in a contested zone.

If you hearthed or flew in from a contested/flagged zone, ok - you might die once, but if you had the where-with-all to wait 5 minutes after dying once, you’d unflag and be 100% un-gankable ----> your experience was 100% your fault if you kept rezzing and fighting back instead of just waiting for the timer if you had other things to do besides pvp

1 Like

Incorrect. If you come from a contested zone you are auto flagged for 5 minutes. On Stalagg, we have horde in all the side tunnels, groups of 5-10 in most of the empty houses both near Magni and around the outside ring.

It’s an easy 4-5k honor in just an hour. But dying in your home city because guards are autistic isn’t a fun time.

i mentioned that:

Just make a lvl 1 alt and run to IF. You will see. It’s kind of tame right now, but ina few hours it’ll be bumpin

i’m not doubting there are gankers in IF — I’m merely stating after 1 death, a 5 minute wait solves the whining.

I should not have to defend myself every minute, of every day, that I am flagged in my faction’s largest hub.

Let me say that again for those in the back.

Being ganked in a major city should be an uncommon occurrence. It should not be so prolific that people are effectively corpse camped between the auction house and the mail box.

And this is not an “alliance only” issue. The same should be true of the Horde in Orgrimmar.

If you hearthed or flew in from a contested/flagged zone, ok - you might die once, but if you had the where-with-all to wait 5 minutes after dying once, you’d unflag and be 100% un-gankable ----> your experience was 100% your fault if you kept rezzing and fighting back instead of just waiting for the timer if you had other things to do besides pvp

Yeah. I could have died, left for five minutes, and come back. That’s not the point.

The point is that the pvp servers are so heavily imbalanced that minority factions are actively camped in their largest faction hubs. The point is that I cannot spend 3 minutes, standing still, in the busiest 50 square yards for my faction… without being ganked numerous times.

That is absolute mind-boggling insanity. Anyone who defends constant camping of the enemy factions capitol cities has no clue what vanilla looked like, because it sure as hell did not look like this.

2 Likes

um, the point is, if you unflag - they literally can’t kill you?
it’s not defending capital city ganking - i’m just stating you can quite literally avoid it after 1 death if you’re really trying to get something else done.
If you want to whine about repeatedly getting ganked when you alt-tab - just wait the 5 minutes before rezzing again and you can alt-tab to your heart’s content without coming back dead…

I disagree. The point of PvP is that there are no safe spaces. You should constantly be under threat of death. That’s wPvP. That’s what PvP servers are supposed to be.

So let me get this straight. Instead of discouraging horde ganking, or encouraging more to go ally, you want blizzard to give you the right to server swap, so that server pvp dies completely?

Yes. Because if I can’t transfer to a PVE server I’m just going to quit and cancel my sub. It’s just no fun the way it is now. Plenty like me out there. So I’m leaving the PVP server regardless. Blizzard can get more of my money if they start allowing transfers to PVE.

1 Like

This is stupid argument. PvP servers are always small, you’re largely just playing with people who like that type of content, and those people aren’t leaving. The people who don’t like that type of content will. It’s not going to kill the server, you’re just separating the wheat from the chaff.

So you don’t want to group up with people and try to push back, you don’t want to even wpvp at all… Not only that, you REFUSE to level another character… I think you should just quit. People like you who believe it’s your way or the highway are the reason there’s problems in retail.

Yes. So why not allow PVP to PVE servers? The player who wants to leave wins. Blizzard wins. And the PVP server is essentially no better or worse off than if the player just quits.

Why oppose this?

Because you should have to level up your toon, just like everyone else that was upset about things back in 2006.

Because if you leave they have no one to attack.

Everyone saying you and others in your shoes “need” to stay love you…the way a glutton loves his lunch.

In the end, it’s your money and your time. Do what’s right for you. If that’s unsubbing until there’s server transfers, unsub. If it’s rerolling alts until there’s server transfers, reroll alts. If’s unsubbing and never returning, unsub and never return.

Never let another person who has something to gain from your misery influence your decisions.

Yes. I do refuse to level another character. I just did it and don’t want to do it again.

And end game isn’t all that great either. Already did MC and Onyxia a bunch of times. What else is there to do?

And this game is not even a good PVP game. It’s terrible. Most fights are usually horribly unbalanced and over in 2 seconds. Even when you have a rare evenly matched fight there is terrible lag making it unplayable. It’s just not a fun experience most of the time.

I guess maybe I should just quit.

2 Likes

You literally just told them it’s your way or the highway. You’re the problem bro.

Are you directing this at me? you keep replying to me. I’m the one who created this entire thread saying we SHOULD allow PvE server transfers.