People be playing FFXIV too much, healers dont dps in WoW

Healers should be tasked to heal, a lot. Every encounter should require a fair amount of healing.

Modern WoW has allowed dps to heal themselves as they dps. Its a change in philosophy.

I think healers, at appropriate gear levels, should have to work to dish out the heals at every encounter.

1 Like

TBH, more rot damage in group content is good. The DF changes with 40% more stamina and damage taken, while additional tuning is needed, feels good. I feel like my role as a healer shifted away from having 30-40% overhealing, and it’s down to 10-15% or so. It means smarter healing is rewarded. While this doesn’t necessarily apply to all forms of content (mana doesn’t matter in M+), I like trying to figure out “oh, damn, I need to be more efficient or else I won’t have mana for this last burn.” And that is deeply satisfying as far as progression raiding goes – little adjustments to achieve better results, and the compounding benefits you get from simply gaining experience during progression.

1 Like

If healers are sweating healing Heroic dungeons, then what will happen when they have to step into a Mythic +24 ?

Well you’re getting your wish to some degree in DF, for what it’s worth.

I don’t think this is possible. If you’re required to heal “a lot” in a +5 or a +10, that unavoidable damage becomes unhealable at a +15, let alone a +20.

Just a matter of tuning and awarding gear that allows for scaling dungeons up that high.

If dps and tanks are saying, hey this healer is standing around - it seems the content is either too easy, or Bliz is now saying, “hey, we want less healing so you can do more dps.”

…or maybe they could be doing damage instead of standing around. I really don’t get this aversion.

2 Likes

Presumably, youre in a +5 in greens, a +10 in blues, and a +20 in epics.

But you may be right. It also could be that the modern game is simply too fast for that style of healing gameplay.

Then healing stops being an expression of skill and becomes a binary pass/fail check based off gear. That doesn’t sound good, to me.

A Mythic +2 is 10% extra mob damage done. A +24 in DF will be 600%.

Your HPS doesn’t increase by 600% in a given season, nor do health pools. M+ scales much faster and higher than gear does.

If you’re already sweating healing a Heroic dungeon, that does less damage than a +2, a +24 would be literally impossible to heal.

1 Like

The issue is mostly when rot and burst line up to alpha strike someone.

Burst is fine, but imagine taking 15% of your total HP every 2sec, then getting blasted for 70% of your health. You looked safe at 85%, I started triaging you at 70%, but you got blasted at that 70% marker, and I feel cheated out of my role as a healer.

If Blizzard’s encounter team can avoid those “feels bad” moments, it’s legitimately a great experience.

These were the same issues in that popped in Legion, basically, players pushed keys so high they were being 1-shot by bosses. Eventually it’s gets to be too much, and I’m totally fine if we reach that point around the +25 more in DF. There’s no way around that with limited gear and infinitely scaling keystone modifiers.

I didnt know that. Thats interesting. I can see why healing responsibilities in general has been toned down - and why every DPS class has a damage mitigation ability. Kind of makes sense why they buffed HP pools in DF too.

1 Like

I feel like I shouldn’t have to say this, but M+ is timed. It is good design for extra effort, if you even want to call it effort, to contribute to making better time. That includes healers doing damage. That includes people using personal defensives, self heals, having leech and avoidance.

People aren’t stressing about uptime and downtime because haha numbers go brrrr. They bring it up because downtime and uptime determine how well a timed run will go. They make the difference between completing a key and acing that shid, feeling like you just conquered a dungeon rather than scraping by.

1 Like

Saying Tanks and Healers shouldn’t DPS is just silly. Saying they should do their main jobs first is just obvious. Why do we insist on making it one or the other? If you are tank, you first keep aggro off your group, then you make sure pull is optimal for your groups current capabilities (factoring in CDs), then you contribute as much of your own DPS as possible. If you are Healer, you do what you can to keep group alive and fighting (except for that warlock who plays in fire, oh and that hunter who made snide remarks lol), then you also contribute some DPS as you are able.

1 Like

If I am taking 70% of my HP in a single tick and it’s unavoidable, that is extremely poor design. Just…flat out. That’s why unavoidable damage, outside of reasonable rot ticks, is so incredibly difficult to balance around. The higher keys go, the more difficult they become (obviously), and gear can be used to mitigate that, but the dungeons scale harder than our gear does. This is why unavoidable damage needs to be extremely carefully regulated.

2 Likes

It’s especially silly to ask tanks not to dps when the main method of getting and holding threat is dps.

I guess a tank can stand there and do no damage and he’ll take no damage too, because the mobs will just be eating the rogue instead.

2 Likes

OR… Let them have fun DPSing a bit as well?
Why this aversion to healers getting to help DPS?

2 Likes

But for instance, there are some tank builds that are more dps oriented, and some that are more tanky.

So are we going to kick the tanky tank because hes not in a dps build for that extra 5% of total damage equaling the paltry 5% of damage that the healer is doing?

Im being facetious here, by the way.

I am in no way, against a healer dps’ing. What I dont appreciate, is this movement among players to a place where the healer must dps to meet expectations - even in timed keys.

1 Like

Yep, this was more common in Legion. So long as Blizzard can get the balance right for incoming burst damage while rot damage is present, it’ll be really fun; otherwise, like you said, it feels like bad game design.