People are literally Un-subbing because of the Dynamic Flight Change

Why does there need to be a pointless 5 second cast time?

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I do when I can - toggle off skyriding and leave it that way. The problem I have is that there are times where the option to turn off skyriding is disabled. That includes lvls 10-19 and in zones where pathfinder achievements are required to enable static flying. While I am working on pathfinder, or leveling from 10-20, I am forced to use mounts I don’t want to use (ground mounts; my favorite mounts are all flying mounts) to avoid accidentally triggering skyriding until I can finish pathfinder and disable it.

Instant switching provides a clear advantage in gathering, questing and world pvp. It would require any player who participates in those activities to use it because the advantage is so great. Skyriding is now the default method of travel and old flying is an option.

An option that provides an advantage when combined with the new standard must come with a cost.

1 Like

Might be because it is central to this discussion

2 Likes

Because instant switching would allow a player to zip across the map at top speed while farming resources, hunting other players in pvp, or searching for quest objectives - then they switch instantly and land with absolute precision and/or take off again and hover above objectives, This provides an advantage in navigating the game and engaging with content. Advantages require everyone to use them. That is not how they have designed the game now. Old flight exists as an option, not a requirement to be competitive.

I think that is a different group other than those that are disabled.

Many customers use a like both forms of flight and switch back and forth. Skyriding for fast. Steady Flight for fine controls

This whole comment ultimately results in “because Blizzard says so”, which doesn’t seem like a good reason to declare that something is the perfect the way it is (right now - as opposed to 2 weeks ago when the way it worked was bad and completely wrong, i guess).

1 Like

And this is why there has to be a cost. Using both with no penalty provides an advantage when interacting with the world and therefore would require all players to use them both as described in order to be competitive in gathering, wpvp and questing. The game is not designed that way and I don’t know if a game could be designed to accommodate both with no clear advantage to using both rather than just one.

Honestly its much to do about nothing but it is still unfair to switch so easily. The switch command should have a 30 minute cooldown.

Because he started this controversy about flying way back before WoD went live when he stated that they were removing Flying when WoD went live
from then on its been a up hill battle with him to get rid of this stupid Pathfinder 
and I don’t care how short it is for TWW it needs to go and allow disabled players and those that get physically sick from Dragon Flying to use Steady Flying Day 1 of TWW.

3 Likes

You really can’t help but try to pretend it is ableist to have to unlock flying. That’s just sad.

Ahhh hate to tell you but that isn’t happening at all anymore since removing PVP realms
War Mode isn’t really a hit anymore with PVP’ers.

See all these things that posters keep posting that is reason to force pathfinder on players for Steady flight isn’t happening anymore
Pathfinder is useless now
all these excuses for having it have been proven false. Pathfinder for TWW is nothing but one Blizzard person not letting go from the past with WoD

2 Likes

I know wpvp is on its last breath, but there are still people who engage in it.

Pathfinder exists because they want every player to (at least one time) engage with the content as it was intended/designed. As I understand it, however, this time around it is easy to obtain.

The other arguments I made address the advantage of having an instant switch, not the existence of pathfinder.

1 Like

Yeah why do they keep inserting this who knows.

I had no problem with earning both regular and epic flying when I started.

Mining and herbing professions for the win!

:cowboy_hat_face:

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man:

2 Likes

I think Charles Darwin had a theory on this.

That’s what it currently is in Cataclysm classic, ~250 for base flying, 5k for fast (before rep discounts). Add in an extra 1k to fly in Northrend, and another 250 for flying in EK/Kalimdor, all per character.

I think base flying was actually 1k on launch in BC, but was changed to 250 either late in the expansion or with Wrath.

1 Like

That would imply that Vanilla would be considered difficult in today’s environment, which it is definitely not.

Tedious as hell? Yeah, Vanilla definitely was tedious. Difficult compared to today? Nah.

3 Likes

He also had a theory about your tail. :wink: Sorry, couldn’t help myself.

2 Likes

Pathfinder exists because Blizzard wanted to slow down gameplay for the first year of each expansion by making ground travel mandatory through endlessly repetitive copy-paste terrain and valueless trash mobs. Pathfinder is probably responsible for the loss of more subscribers - and the conversion of continuous subscribers into cyclical subscribers who would buy and play only after flight was released - than any other bad decision. Pathfinder has returned because once again, management is upset that they had to revert a game change they wanted to use to manipulate players to play differently.

They never intended to extend normal flight into DF content, which is why it took so long for them to come up with a date for it. They always intended to extend dragonriding into old content, which is why they announced it early, because they had been working on it all along.

3 Likes

Yes it seems that they never planned TBC normal flying to be popular and asked for during DF beta and during the DF expansion. The fact that TBC normal flying was not on their road map speaks volumes.

But once again we will prevail and TBC normal flying will be free of the shackles of PF.

:surfing_man: :surfing_woman:

1 Like