Pay to win game

Omg lol how is this so hard for you. Ok so you can’t directly buy an item from the shop… but you can buy the wow token that will allow you to get carried on a run to get said item.

Little jimmy who’s parents can’t afford wow tokens for him can’t get his 15 done for the week cause he’s not good enough. But little billy has moms credit card and equal skill level to jimmy so he buys a 15 run.

Come Tuesday billy gets his 475 while jimmy gets nothing. But it’s not p2w

Yes, you are correct. It is currently not Pay-to-Win.

1 Like

Lmao ok let’s do a challenge then…

You give me $1000, we both level toons to 120. I’ll buy $1000 worth of tokens and you buy none, by the end of the week we will see who’s character is further progressed and if it’s yours I’ll give you $2000 back

You will have bought your way to further progress, certainly. That still isn’t Pay-to-Win, however.

1 Like

We can buy the strongest gear in the game? Can someone show me where? I would be totally down.

Closest I got was selling a token and then getting gear of the AH. It’s rad, but it’s far from “Strongest”

What did you win?

1 Like

Oh god another “WoW is pay to win” post.

You are not paying blizz for these items, you are paying people that got lucky with a drop. It has always been this way. Get over your cry baby attitude when you apparently haven’t paid attention in WoW’s 15 years

1 Like

Lol my mind is blown at the ignorance in here. Like “you aren’t buying the item from blizz”, ummm I’m buying the wow token? Which goes to blizzard?

Pay to win is literally using real life money, to advance in a video game. Me buying hundreds of dollars worth of tokens, will 100% without a doubt advance my character power level in WoW. Which in turn is pay to win.

Gold gets you everything in wow, there’s literally no aspect of the game you can’t use gold to get ahead of the pack. Wow tokens are literally money for gold…

I don’t think I can spell it out any easier for you

2 Likes

Yes, only under the addendum that the items in question can only be obtained by spending money on an in-game cash shop.

Buying items from an Auction House or paying other players to carry you, does not fall under the purview of the Pay-to-Win definition.

What really kicks me over to the “not P2W” area is that the items you get through gold (via token selling) or buying a carry…isn’t BiS. It’s not even close in my experiences. You can definitely pay to skip some of the progression, but you’re not going to be top tier by any means.

For me, that’s where the “win” aspect of p2w comes in. The use of real life money has to push you to the head of the pack. Not just catch you up to a point where most players can get to without spending a dime.

Its still very much a microtransation, but it’s not quite P2W, imo.

1 Like

Correct.

If Luminate wanted to have a discussion about microtransactions and their impact on WoW, that is a valid conversation. Trying to claim that it ‘Pay-to-Win’ when it is not, is uneducated at best. Hyperbole, at worst.

1 Like

Believe me. I have zero self control and am super lazy. If this game had P2W elements. I’d be a lot less bad at it.

1 Like

I say this every time someone posts this dumb thread. The people actually “winning” this game pay LESS than you do. The guilds doing carry runs, the auction house barons, the pro teams. They all get funded by derps that think they are paying to win.

Someone with full BOEs will always lose the arena match against the team that actually earned their rating, and the person that pays for carries will get kicked from their next run because they obviously don’t know the fights. There is no real advantage over skill in this game. It’s just asinine to suggest otherwise.

You guys always attach “winning” or exclusivity to these terms when it’s wrong. You literally buy power and strength in the game by buying tokens and then gear/carries and not having to grind out systems. These people are higher rated in arena or attempting higher raids/m+ than their skill allows but since they might get kicked or lose its ok?
You make the argument that they have to be bad but what about a skilled player buying BIS corruptions in arena? Suddenly their rating shoots up with nothing but a swipe of the credit card no self improvement only money and rating.

I don’t really care that much about it but it’s definitely there and does impact me somewhat by inflating boe prices beyond what I will ever grind gold for.
You can argue that its not a big deal or you don’t care but saying its not p2w is moronic.

Not at all.

The definition of Pay-to-Win is;

If using your money does not fall into this specific criteria, then what you are doing is not P2W.

You’re just quoting a self made definition and treating it like fact.

No, I am quoting a literal definition that has been in use since the original Counter-Strike days. Your incorrect usage of a term does not magically make it apply to WoW.

You didn’t add “what do you win” in your definition keep up dude slim that down some more

Why would I need to?

Nothing is p2w! I defined it.
You’re getting hung up on semantics and clutching at narrow definitions to keep yourself happy with the state of the game, it’s clear what people mean when they say and give examples of what is happening.