Partial Resist Checks on DoTs

Currently DoT ticks do not roll partial resist checks past the initial check and only get one check on application.

Current bugged behavior example: Corruption is applied against a target with 30% average resistance. The first tick rolls a partial resist check of 25%, all remaining ticks will have a 25% partial resist.

Intended behavior example: Corruption is applied against a target with 30% average resistance. Each tick should roll a partial resist chance based on 30% average resistance (49% chance for 25% partial/24% chance for 50% partial/ 6% for 75% partial/20% for full damage).

Evidence:

At 1:15-1:17, Ignite is applied and ticks twice, once for 50% partial resist and once for 25% partial resist. Note that this Ignite was not refreshed or stacked by any of the mages as it immediately expired on its second tick.

Conclusion: The current behavior is bugged. DoTs should roll a partial resist check for each tick (based on resistance when it was applied - not dynamic updates).

2 Likes

I agree. I have a 220 shadow resist set as a 49 and partially resisting dots is super rare where as partially resisting shadow bolts is like 90% of the time which makes sense.

I also did notice that when a shadow word pain did get a partial resist roll, it carried over to all of the ticks.

Yep. Just started seeing this on my Mage since last patch. Thanks for posting, OP.

1 Like

Glad others are noticing this too. I first noticed this happening in bgs when I’d get hit w/ dots from enemy locks/spriests. Pretty rare to ever partially resist their dots no matter how much shadow resist I have, but occasionally I’ll get one where I’ll get 75% on every tick, and I don’t have enough resist for that to be possible, which is pretty unfair to the enemy caster.

Obv I don’t want this bug to impact Ignite (it is now) once we get into Phase 5.

1 Like

The partial resist of shadow dots is so rare compared to direct damage partial resists. Maybe the lock and priest talents are incorectly affecting dot partial resist.

Can a horde with lots of fire resist duel a shammy and see if and how often flame shock dots are partially resiste

Wow, checked some of my recent logs and you’re right.

|00:00:10.085|Qpon Ignite Bloodlord Mandokir Tick 158 (R: 382)
|||
|00:00:12.081|Qpon Ignite Bloodlord Mandokir Tick 162 (R: 382)

|00:00:21.000|Qpon Ignite Hakkar Tick 705 (R: 204)
|||
|00:00:23.010|Qpon Ignite Hakkar Tick 705 (R: 204)

|00:00:14.757|Qpon Ignite High Priestess Mar’li Tick 190 (R: 154)
|||
|00:00:16.746|Qpon Ignite High Priestess Mar’li Tick 195 (R: 154)

|00:00:32.061|Qpon Ignite High Priestess Mar’li Tick 1669 (R: 440)
|||
|00:00:34.046|Qpon Ignite High Priestess Mar’li Tick 1669 (R: 440)
|||
|00:00:37.388|Qpon Ignite High Priestess Mar’li Tick 448 (R: 118)
|||
|00:00:39.392|Qpon Ignite High Priestess Mar’li Tick 448 (R: 118)

That’s messed up.

1 Like

Also been running Fire for ZG and it’s pretty obnoxious for Ignite to roll one partial that carries over to all its ticks and lose a huge chunk of damage because of this bug. Thank you for sharing your logs.

So from what I’ve gathered:

1. Partial resists on warlock (spriest also?) dot ticks are much rarer than they should be compared to partial resists of direct damage spells like shadowbolt for situations where the target has high resistance values. This could indicate that something with lock/priest talents is affecting this. Is this intentional if so?

2. When partial dot ticks occur for any spell school, then every single dot tick for that dot duration rolls the same partial resist value. (25%, 50%, or 75%). This is inconsistent with vanilla with video proof provided above and can be easily checked on their reference client.

This bug negatively impacts some caster spec performace in PVE and also negatively affects people in pvp who stack resist gear since it is significantly less effective than it should be against dot spells.

1 Like

Bugs getting fixed? Nah just pacify them by increasing the number of buffs a player can have.

For point 1: their hit talents don’t show any evidence of spell penetration via wowhead, but even if they were bugged and doing so, most pvp-specs don’t go more than 1/2 ranks into them because the pvp spell hit cap is 3%. Regardless, it may have something to do with those talents as I have noticed a lot of partial resists with Ignite, but not so much with any priest or warlock dot.

It also could have something to do with how the game rolls partial resists on dots vs. direct damage spells. We don’t know the formula for how the game applies partial resist to dots given that dot ticks can’t fully resist.

This bug is really benefiting locks and shadow priests. I found another detailed post from EU forums with evidence source from vanilla proving that each dot tick should roll a separate chance of being partially resisted.

1 Like

Does not surprise me, they are probly very understaffed if they have any staff at all. Maybe 1 guy who’s kinda part time? Willing to bet they are invested into TBC and this is unfortunately on cruise control, but that to me is really sad because they need to keep a skeleton crew on bug fixes and quality assurance. That kind of good will goes a very long way in making the players love blizzard games again.

dots are 1/10 as likely to get resisted than any other spell
from here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080601184008/http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=65457765&pageNo=18&sid=1#348
it was fixed in 2007, a TBC patch
Previously, dots in general were 1/10th as likely to be resisted as normal spells. That has been fixed, they’re now as likely to be resisted as other spells. Please let us know whether there’s any reason to believe they aren’t working this way.
from a blue post
we’re playing on the ‘bugged’ version of wow where dots are 10x more likelier to land than any other spell when rolling against resistances
tl;dr: if your opponent has 300 shadow resist there’s a 70% to get your fear resisted and only 7% to get your corruption resisted

I do thank you for showing official evidence of DoTs having a 1/10th full resist chance, this post is about an actual separate bug of DoTs not rolling partial resist chances correctly.

DoTs did not have all their ticks fixed to partially resist for the same amount on the initial roll. Each tick is supposed to roll its own partial resist. This has already been proven via numerous vanilla videos. This partial resist chance is happening far more than 1/10th of the time too - ask any Mage that currently runs Fire in raiding. Half of my Ignites are rolling partial resists.

1 Like

Oh, yah, I thought snap shotting being something new to Classic was common knowledge.

With the Ignite hotfix, Ignite’s now snapshotting the partial resist bug at the first stack instead of the fifth. This bug is now seriously impacting Fire mages specifically as we’re the only spec that gains a significant amount of boss damage from a DoT.

It’s been nearly one year since Classic launched and this bug hasn’t been addressed yet.

Edit: This also seems to be applying to boss effects like C’Thun’s Digestive Acid. If the initial stack starts at say, 75% partial resist, all successive stacks will partially resist for 75%.

This is how dots have always been, in classic and in vanilla. It’s the initial application that checks and replicates throughout the duration. Whether or not that’s beneficial or detrimental or not, is anyone’s opinion, but that’s always how it’s been, for Warlocks, Druids, Mages, Shamans, and all classes that have damage over time abilities.

1 Like

No, it isn’t, and I’ve already proven it isn’t with documented evidence.

The initial application snapshots resistance, but each tick has its own roll for a partial resist based off that snapshot. It does not copy the same roll from the first tick.

looks like they finally addressed this bug on the Naxx PTR!

2 Likes