Any casters getting resisted a ridiculous amount?

I’m only hitting big resist steaks with mobs 3+ levels higher than me. But I just put a few points in the spell hit talent too.

True story:

My very first smite upon logging in was resisted.

HA try being a dual weild melee.

Had 4 eviscerates miss in a row.

Against an even level mob at that.

It’s a wonder if any of us would even survive to become some great heros at this rate.

1 Like

we had spell hit back in the days. I forget waht level locks get Curse of Shadows/Elements. that should help resists.

They could have resist to certain spells or even cast a spell to make them resist more.

I know that in classic when you upgraded a spell, you had to actually replace the current spell with the new one on your skill bar or you are actually using a level 1 spell on a level 10 enemy…could be why??

My priest seems to get resisted a lot - hence my impressively high death count.

I got a rank 2 spell but I keep both on my bars for mana reasons.

I also recently got a sweet level 5 wand so we’ll see how this plays out. I seem to miss a lot hitting mobs with my mace lol.

It’s your mind playing tricks on you. You remember the negatives (resists) because they stand out more, so it only seems like you get a disproportional number of resists.

Warriors will say the same thing (“Miss, miss, miss, miss…”). But it’s an illusion, and is very common. Humans tend to dwell on the negatives and forget the positives.

Do an experiment. Count your casts, hits and resists. I bet that, after 1,000 casts, you’ll see maybe 50 resists. That’s 5%, and in-line with what it should be.

Remember the quote from Rounders:

“Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.”

Level PvE PvP
Vs. +0 level (same level) 4% 4%
Vs. +1 level 5% 5%
Vs. +2 level 6% 6%
Vs. +3 level 17% 13%
Vs. +4 level 28% 20%
Each additional level +11% +7%

Its player lvl not spell rank I’m pretty sure. Plus natural resistances.

Look at your talents. There may be a few that will help overcome spell resists. They seem a waste when you read the description but they can be life savers.

It feels more like Pokemon sometimes. A 95% chance to hit will miss half of the time.

2 Likes

First respec is one gold. Way too much for early levels. Better to just get the points in next levels.

I hear you. This mechanic didn’t bother me TOO much during the leveling process, but after I’ve gone through the time and expense to get hit % gear on my mage (I have a 5% chance to miss against lvl 63 bosses, but have 99% hit against everything else), I’ve been frustrated with the amount of resists I get sometimes.

For example, there’s a nice juicy pack of whelps lined up in BWL. I Frost Nova to proc Shatter, and I’m all ready to have my improved CoC crit all over these fools and see my screen light up with multiple 1.2k damage hits… and then… poof. I hit 1 or 2 but see 5+ "RESIST"s pop up. And I’m like WTF? How is it possible, with 99% spell hit, that 5 out of 8 mobs resist my attack?

Statistically possible of course, but HIGHLY unlikely. Something else is going on that I don’t understand.

This chart does not work for Holy Resist as it doesn’t exist on at-level mobs or below, no matter what your private server said. Holy only has resists with level differences and nobody seems to know how Holy is truly calculated (flat number resistance vs pooled bank percentage vs some other system).

without doing a deeper dive into combat logs have no way of knowing if those resists were misses…or actual resists. just because it shows up resist in game does not mean that it was automatically a miss. you can “hit” the mob and have them “resist” the damage.

How do I become anon94200297

Thank you. This is what I’ve been reading about.

A yellow “Resist” text means you miss, which is dependent on spell hit rating

A white “Resist” text means the mob resisted damage based on that mob’s resistance rating.

After watching some videos about the suppression room, I see that there are actually different colored whelps that have resistances to their color of magic… I never saw the different colors in the chaos:)

So probably when I’m seeing a bunch of white Resists when I Cone of Cold, I’ve just hit a pack of blue whelps.

I’m a Shadow Priest with 5/5 Shadow Focus and another 4% or so additional hit from gear … and I still get resisted frequently. So I’m curious if there’s a bug also.

Speaking strictly from a Mage perspective:

I’ve been playing deep fire in ZG and even w/ Curse of the Elements active I get a ton of partial resists, even on trash. I doubt this is the result of level-based resists due to the amount of 50% and 75% partial resists I’m seeing (far more than +24 resist would grant). Frost doesn’t see this nearly as much as Frostbolt cannot partially resist, but I’m sure Mages have noticed Blizzard’s ticks partially resisting quite often.

At the moment I’m thinking bosses have higher resistance levels than we previously assumed. As resistance levels climb higher the full resist chance (due to resistance) becomes high enough to become noticable, and will make it seem like your spell hit isn’t doing anything (when it is, it’s just not off-setting resistance based resists as intended as it isn’t spell pen).

I am assuming that there will be some amount of spell pen Mages (and probably other casters) will end up wanting once we all swap to Fire full time.

I am wondering if this partial resist stuff is happening to other casters though, since their filler isn’t binary and they’d have noticed long before Mages.

Also: There is a bug with how periodic resists apply over dots, which is causing a big damage loss: Partial Resist Checks on DoTs

I think someone needs to have you look at one of those Men in Black gizmos.