Parsing Overrated

I recently made the conscious decision to just play the game in my guild raids, without constantly worrying about whether I would land pink or yellow parses on the bosses. It was a breath of fresh air, parsing isn’t everything - take a week off and smell the roses folks.

Thank you.

20 Likes

If you were the type that was able to get pink/yellow parses you would know a dps picking to not parse and “take it easy” trolls everyone else by messing with kill times.

Not really what I would consider friendly to just stop playing as well as you can when others still trying to parse.

It’s another story if the guild picked to have a offnight but that wasent your story, your case you mentioned as you just picking to not bother that night.

While parsing is not everyrhing. Doing your part and meeting your commitments is. If you are in a parsing guild you try to parse unless the raid is taking an easy night. If you’re in a dad guild do what you want but than you where not getting yellow parses and likly not even pink. Given you were worried about hitting those before or at least claim to of been. The guild would be one trying and as such picking to not try a week on your own is just rude to your fellow raiders.

4 Likes

You have never parsed any of those colors.

9 Likes

Doubt. Are you in a chinese guild?

1 Like

Trolling parsers is one of the few entertaining things left to do in this game. Nobody important cares about parses.

13 Likes

Man, I would honestly give zero consideration to whether someone is “trying to parse”. That guy has already lost, regardless of the kill times.

Like… It’s the first phase of WoTLK. I honestly think 80% of the playerbase could get their DPS into the current omegaparse levels, but they don’t care enough about it to do that.

Like, if parsing in classic was a thing people actually cared about, due to the ease of content, everyone would be within like 1k dps of each other and the difference between a 99 and a 50 would be decided by two pieces of gear or 5 seconds of offtime.

I think Classic players forgot what logs are actually for.

3 Likes

You worry about getting 100 parses? Damn those are some lofty aspersions considering there’s only ever 1 in any given day/week. I’d tear my hair out trying to get a 100 because it’s ultimately up to raid comp and rng if you get it.

I don’t think parses are important… But at the same time, I have to wonder why so many people come to the forums and try to tell everyone that they’re not important. Do you care about the arbitrary stuff that other people care about?

6 Likes

I am forced to care, because people who have never done actual progression in their lives think that because they parsed 99 they’re a better player than the guy who parsed 95. Meanwhile the guy who parsed 95 probably doesn’t even know what his parse was, he was just trying to perform well and kill the boss.

Parsing in the first phase of WoTLK is akin to cheesing full 99s in heroic mode of a particular tier while being completely unaware that literally any mythic raider who attempted that could do it.

1 Like

Or you know, they’re just trying to squeeze some fun out of Wrath Naxx. My guildies do this, and none of them are serious about it. It’s just a metagame.

As a general rule, you should always be worried about performing well, if nothing else, just to get the run to go faster.

4 Likes

Wait, how does this “force” you to care, exactly?

Even if that were true (lmao), why do you care so much? You seem to be disproportionately bothered by this topic but I truly don’t see how it affects you negatively, unless you’re saying that it’s a bad thing that you don’t get to play with people who care a lot about parses? :confused:

Oh, don’t misunderstand me, it can be good fun.

The issue is: when people are primarily equating parses with player quality you’re kind of forced to join in on the game if you ever want to join a guild capable of clearing Ulduar or a decent pug.

Like… Parses WILL be looked at. Not logs, parses. The number. And it will be used as a catch-all for player skill

1 Like

Are you sure it isn’t true? I farmed full 99 and 100 parses in this tier of content and it was actually EASIER than cheesing 99s on heroic modes. At least when I did that in Antorus I had to try more than once per encounter. And I say that as, honestly, a bottom of the barrel raider. My guild’s Argus cutting edge took like 1000 wipes while good guilds were doing it in 400.

EDIT: Yes, Antorus. I abandoned the sinking ship pretty early.

1 Like

As Justicar? I don’t actually know what that is, and I don’t know what parsing is like on tanks. Somehow I feel like tanking and healing parses are probably a bit more prone to being affected by their circumstances than DPS, but again, I don’t know.

But having good parses =/= being a good raider. Isn’t that what you were saying earlier?

I don’t know what this has to do with the conversation about parsing. My point is that, while I understand and agree with the idea that parsing isn’t the most important thing and shouldn’t be looked at as an essential aspect of enjoying the game, I still don’t see why all of these threads denouncing them are necessary.

I think pineapple on pizza is nasty, but I don’t go making threads on food forums telling people about it. Some people like it. But if I go and assert my feelings about it onto other people who may not feel the same way I do, it kinda sends a different message.

I’m not familiar with it. I’m guessing it’s a Retail guild?

1 Like

That’s what I meant. Hm

so

I used to be in the lowest-skilled group of players that was still cutting-edge capable. The fact that I could still go on Heroic mode and cheese full 99s is a good illustration of what I mean - that actual good players don’t care about heroic parses.

Basically, the first phase of WoTLK is too trivial for anything useful to be gathered from parses. Even logs won’t tell you much. In harder content, parses end up measuring overall efficiency pretty well - how good your movement is, how many mistakes you make, how much you can anticipate, etc - so that number actually is useful.

But context is always important when looking at “parses”, as it’s just a number next to your encounter DPS. And the context, in this case, is that there aren’t enough variables to discern a good player from a bad one. You could be horrible and parse 99s every fight, because this is the first phase of WoTLK and nothing matters yet. Still, people will be looking at those numbers.

1 Like

Antorus is the last raid of the Legion expansion. That’s when I left retail.

chase parses
stand in bad because zugzug
die
BuT i PaRsE hIgHeR wHeN i LiVe So I aM bEtTeR tHaN yOu

:clown_face:

Dead DPS deal zero damage. Ill take a raid full of guys parsing in the 70s and 80s that do mechanics flawlessly and never randomly die over a load of dudes chasing 90+ parses that die to dumb :poop: constantly.

Parsechasers also consistently manage to be the most insufferable people ive ever met. Just one dimentional ugly personalities. And horrific primadonnas.

2 Likes

Parses doesn’t matter during progression, it’s a thing you do when the raid in on farm. Right now content is just too boring and easy so parsing is a way to make the raid more interesting.

People will get hit by a reality check in Ulduar that’s for sure but parses are usually a good indication of player output. Damage meters are similar, you will get called out if your dps is constantly near the tanks because it does represent player skill in many ways.

If that stresses you, it’s best to not think about it, just do your things while doing mechanics.

1 Like

The game became a lot more fun for me once I uninstalled my damage meter.

That’s what my guild said about Blackwing Lair, Ahn’Qiraj and Naxx 40. :man_shrugging:

What about about T5 prenerf and Sunwell? Ulduar prenerf will be harder than these 2.