Paladin Tanking in Classic

Grab the quest item: Egan’s Blaster

As good as getting a item to improve what you already have is, having to rely on things outside of your class to do something primary to it is just bad design. Both a druid and warrior tank have abilities an methods in their class for something so core to it.

How hard is it to play with team work?

Team work is one thing, but being able to do basic core factors of your role is another. Many times relying on the team to do what is needed is not going to end well, like not ninja pulling, watching threat, or being mindful of what is happening.

The core role of a tank is grabbing and holding threat while mitigating damage. None of that requires a ranged pulling ability. If you really want a ranged pull, you can always invest into holy to get Holy Shock. Dungeons aren’t hard enough to require a full prot build until you start doing raids.

Paladins neeeeeeeeeeeed to take Engineering just so we don’t try to tank with a SHOCKADIN build.

That way, you always pull with a bomb and begin the encounter as #1 on threat.

Egan’s Blaster. Also, 1.3x of 0 is zero. And 1.3x of that hunter’s scorpid sting is less than 100 threat if it generates threat at all.

1 Like

True, but why wait for the trinket when Engineering solves the problem utterly and completely?

That being said, that trink and Linken’s Boomerang do solve the problem without Engineering.

I didnt mention a trinket, it’s a quest item from The Restless Souls dungeon quest for strat.

1 Like

Forgot that wasn’t a trink…

OOPS on me

They’re sub-optimal to Warriors for raid tanking, but in the right hands they’re the best dungeon tanks in the game, IMO.

I would disagree having a ranged pulling ability is quite required, since not having it pigeon-holes you into taking specific things or be sub par from the on-set. As said there is two aspects to tanking there is getting an holding threat, and mitigating damage while doing so, though positioning is also quite important. Having a ranged pulling ability does help that an is quite a big aspect of threat gaining, being able to pull with a descent ability allows you to both establish threat on the target (this helps that if a dps or healer starts early the mob does not peal off), but also allows you to do los pulls to get mobs into better positioning like away from patrols.

2 Likes

That only works if people aren’t DPSing right after the pull and are actually attacking the tank’s target.

The are AMAZING at threat, it just costs lots of money for them to spam those buffs, we have a pally who will tank ony, pop like 20 symbols of kings as she’s landing and have immediate stacked agro so the DPS just goes nuts.

1 Like

I had a Pally tank in BC and above. Never had a problem keeping threat and didn’t run out of mana. I’ve come back to the game to make another Pally tank in Vanilla. From what I’m reading it sounds like Vanilla was really lacking for the Prot Pally.

Partially correct. I can see uses for them in alot of fights and to use in Naxx trash.

Not having a taunt is a tiny part of prots issues, been through them a dozen times already.

Find a guild that needs OT’s. Honestly theres nothing really stopping a raiding guild using a Prot pally OT aslong as they’re using them for add tanking duty.

Pally tanks had most of their issues addressed in TBC.But their largest issue wasn’t touched till wrath of the lich king.

1 Like

not correct, Paladin tanks are more than viable, people drastically overestimate Classic’s difficulty and don’t want paladin tanks because they require effort.

I didnt say otherwise.

I was saying theres still one other flaw of prot paladins that they didn’t fix.

Two completely different things.