Paladin Tanking in Classic

See this is good. Now get on the beta and do some real theorycrafting.

Hard to tell without all the synergies, but I’ll be keeping an eye out for Theloras to make a thread post-launch.

1 Like

i ain’t gonna resub for a “chance” at a beta invite - whether people without active subs or not get in I don’t know for sure 100% but I’m not gonna resub retail and pray

that being said, my theories are proving correct thus far coming from private servers cause all of the bug reports I wrote on each of those servers were based on information/evidence that I discovered from retail vanilla sources

so that right there is your answer - everything that i’ve ever written about or advocated for was based on retail vanilla and NOT from private servers

Just don’t be one of those people that cry’s because it’s not like their private server lol.

that’s not how I roll - read this thread if you haven’t already…

on some of these issues, I was never able to find answers and so I have quite literally been searching for final closure for years.

now finally at long last, I will be able to get answers to these with Classic :slight_smile:

I’m sure some people won’t have time for raiding. Prot pallies are great dungeon tanks.

1 Like

The word viable should be replaced with optimal

Most things are actually viable

4 Likes

Yep, totally. And the only time it matters to be optimal is if you’re in a hardcore guild - and even then, they’ll need players to fill out their rosters, and non-rogues/warriors/mages for DPS. Druids are actually good OT too and are very flexible, so even in a hardcore guild you’d want at least one for that flexibility and utility.

I can agree that paladins in classic/vanilla were not the best, and many times were geared in a very weird way. Though looking at changes that were made over the course of the game prior to tbc, such as losing seal of righteous fury to gain the buff righteous fury, there is the potential to make some small changes to improve enjoyment for all.

I mean as said we had no real taunt, also no real reliable pulling ability outside of face pulling (not counting exo as it is quite limited). So what if instead of losing seal of rightous fury for the buff it would become we kept that seal an the judgement effect was changed to be a taunt effect (still you would need to put up the seal an judge it when you have the cd ready compared to just taunting as a warrior (still a ten second cd for them).

Though also will say that I would not mind seeing them take away the restriction on exorcism to allow it to be used on all targets, but give it something like it deals max damage or bonus damage against undead/demons, and which would make it our pulling mechanic like warriors could charge or bow/gun pull too.

No changes. There’s no reason to fiddle with class balance.

I think there are enough threads on this that you didn’t need to necro this one, but w/e.

Take it from someone who played Paladin in Vanilla: If you want to tank or dps, play warrior. For any other reason or exception you’re going to have a bad time. Only play Paladin if you want to heal and others expect you to heal.

Prot pallies could never be the MTs in a progression raid in vanilla; however, they were the kings of AOE tanking and frankly were better than warriors in this regard. They probably had the most reliable AOE threat generation. Things like the BRD emperor run really made prot pallies shine, as well as certain raid encounters. In fact this continued for some way into TBC until the AOE tanking abilities of the other classes were improved.

Having said the above, however, the vast majority of tanking in vanilla raids was single target tanking.

You’ll regret farming consumable weapons and being terrible without BiS items and every consumable.

Until they run out of Mana

everyone has to farm consumables dude - everyone…

Mana is only an issue if you’re spamming consecrate, which any good prot pally shouldn’t be doing, you use it once then let ret aura, blessing of sanctuary, and holy shield do the rest, while target swapping and judging priority mobs.

Thing is that you’ll have to raid as holy to get that plate int gear, so you can tank dungeons.

Which is why you can downrank spells. Paladins gain more aggro off of being hit or a much better block when it comes to AoE packs.

You have a max rank priority system and a system later designed to just maintain. Which is also why all PUGs get Salvation over anything else in instances.