Overwolf is a cancer we cannot allow in Wow

Seeing how Twitch doesn’t get paid for advertising Twitch, I have no issues with that. I just use the add-on part, not the stream part of the client.

I do have massive issues with his :

Which is leaving me puzzled why you’re trying to make excuses for them here…

4 Likes

I’m not making excuses for anything, I don’t like overwolf in the least. I’m just saying that the addon developers are going to stay where they are getting paid.

I just know I’m going to be forced to used overwolf regardless, because i sure as hell ain’t manually updating 60 addons.

Oh I’m sure there are some addon makers that operate that way. But they’d sing a different tune if the vast majority of attention from the player base was on wowinterface rather than curse. Here’s what happens if you try to purposely leave an outdated addon up in the primary market space for add-ons…people stop using your addon.

He has 1300 patrons, at the minimum pledge of 1$/month, that’s 1300$ per month. I doubt they are all level 1.

1 Like

Isn’t it hyperbole to say Overwolf is making threats? They bought the curse website and presumably will be paying for it’s maintenance. If everyone used Wowup then how would they continue to pay for that? Why would they?

They offered to talk to the other addon updaters, they can’t be sued over that. That’s just silly.

1 Like

Yep, they took it over, and now they’re going to use the fact that it was the best and most popular and only game in town to force their overlay client on you. And you’re lapping it up.

My god some of you guys are shills.

7 Likes

It’s his only job, no one can live on 1300ish a month lol.

Just gonna ignore what I type I see. Typical Wirt.

3 Likes

Most probably are, there’s no way he’s making a liveable wage off just that.

Point is, no matter what happens with Overwolf, if you like it or not, the addon devs aren’t going to leave a paycheck because people don’t like the service.

some of the core addons that need updating the most will tell you with a prompt in text or pop up when you log in. most others its not a game changer if they’re out of date.

You think the 3$ in ad revenue he makes off Twitch does ?

The add-on devs aren’t getting a paycheck from Twitch. It’s also against the ToS to force monetization of add-ons.

That’s why they have Patreons.

Also, really doubt the DBM guy has no actual other real job.

1 Like

It’s cute how naive you are. LOL You must be young or don’t understand how corporations work.

And yet no one in the past when they owned it had issues with other add-on managers. Overwolf wants sole control over add-on management.

And those “talks” will be to try to tell them they need to stop web scraping from Overwolf.

This is not rainbows and unicorns.

2 Likes

This is not just to you Wasselin but to all of us. You just gave me a what if thought.

WARNING SPECULATION

Why did Amazon/Twitch divest themselves of Curse? One thought is due to the complexity and amount of work to maintain the site. Also remember that Curse does not just host WOW addons. The Minecraft sections is far larger than wow. I still mean to research what they are doing.

I suspect Overwatch just grabbed this up thinking it was going to be a win win. First, where did they get the capitol? Second, what are they going to do once they figure out its too much work to sustain the investment they made?

I could foresee that in a years’ time they just pull the plug leaving all mod authors out in the cold.

Again. . this is just SPECULATION, but something to consider and plan for.

When is that supposed to even happen. I remember hearing about it months ago thinking it was already happening and still using twitch for my addons.

Ah yes, back to spending 1 hour going to various sites and downloading add-ons, on the daily.

Hey, if only someone could make a client where this is checked for you, downloaded and installed automatically at the push of a button… and Overwolf bought it and it’s full of malware now.

The reason these posts are popping up now is they just changed their release from sometime next year to Oct 20

They are pushing hard to get it in for expansion.

2 Likes

However, I’m going to be real here. I don’t just work on DBM full time. It’s all I do period. I have no life, no friends, no time to really do anything else at all. It’s not just coding mods here or getting to play the game for money. It’s not as peaches as it sounds. It’s committing to every ptr/beta even when I have a raid character to maintain on live and raids to go to later that night. It’s grinding dungeons, artifact power, world quests, gathering mats, leveling blacksmithing so I can craft even more raid gear, etc. Many hours, EVERY DAY. If there is no ptr/beta, there is always something to catch up on or do. Even then, sometimes something has to give. PVP mods got axed for recently. It’s not even just the code refactoring that 8.0 would need (although that’s huge reason), it’s “where the hell am I going to find time to spam run BGs to make sure these things even work?”.

In addition, I’m still a caretaker for another human being too. My 70 year old disabled mother needs my help a lot too. I have to step away from computer a lot to help her do something she can’t do on own. Do errands or do chores. In fact, since bfa has launched I’ve been so buried that my grass is now over 2 feet tall. :\

No, but it makes it incredibly inconvenient to take it to court. A civil lawsuit that goes internationally costs thousands upon thousands of dollars an hour in lawyer’s fees.

Guy got sued for copyright infringement, was deemed to be fair use. He was in the UK, sued in the US. His legal fees were near 40,000 USD, and the case wasn’t even complicated. International law isn’t cheap.

What.

lol.

/us 2 live on about 900 USD a month in a country more expensive than the US to live in

I’m being naive? Someone has to pay for curseforge. If everyone uses wowUp and wowUp doesn’t give money back to curseforge it will eventually cease to exist.

Ads are gross but if you want to easily update your addons, it might be the only way to keep it going.

Ultimately this is out of our hands. Yes we can yell and scream, get in touch with your addon devs of choice, try to pursuade them etc. But in the end, the ONLY people who are going to control the outcome of this battle are the addon devs. If we can get enough of them to migrate to Git or wowinterface etc. Curse will die and so too will overwolf.

Petition your addon authors. See whether they are receptive or not. If they aren’t, take that into consideration before you use their addon in the future.