Overwolf destroyed one of our add-on apps

Do you honestly believe they’re going to allow the third party addon managers to scrape their site?

because I don’t.

Any web developer with half a brain knows how to prevent crawlers from accessing downloads.

but hey maybe we’ll get lucky and the overwolf/curse devs turn out to be morons, and the third party addon manager devs can rewrite to pull their data from scrapes.

but… I doubt it.

Overwolf is the WoW killer.

Overwolf ate my sub.

Well rip WoWUp too I guess.

Been a while since I’ve pirated a game. Maybe pirating mods can be a new hobby.

They didn’t own their code or their add-on. Blizzard does.

Cuts off conversation the moment someone proves him wrong and doesn’t even reply to that person. LOL

It has to stay free and public. Blizzard owns that code and add-ons nor their repository are allowed to charge players.

3 Likes

Expect the person I was responding to never once proved me wrong… Generally you do a much better job reading posts.

You didn’t read what I said.

for anyone to browse and download addons manually? yes.

but access to an API, and the ability to scrape the site for distirbution of the info on another site/third party manager does not.

otherwise, ajour wouldn’t be shutting down.

that’s the entire point of this topic.

3 Likes

Hopefully not! Wowup is easy, open one and that’s it. With overworlf I have to be opening two apps and sometimes I open one and the other doesn’t.

So annoying. Wowup is best!

I know the point of the topic. I’m the one who made it. :roll_eyes:

I’m saying that Overwolf can’t charge us for them using their app either.

Well seeing they aren’t, what was the point? The only thing that changed is now mod authors can decide if other third party sites should have access to their mod. They are not asking you to pay for anything, they are just being given an option to determine how their mod will be distrubuted.

They can’t but they can limit or block third party apps from using their API.

1 Like

I believe the quote is “If you’re not paying for the product, YOU are the product.”

3 Likes

I’m going to quite to you exactly what you said to me: Generally you do a much better job reading posts.

Don’t jump into the middle of a conversation you didn’t even read.

And as you also said: so have a nice day. :slightly_smiling_face:

I never said they couldn’t. No one seems to be following this conversation I’m having with someone else. :woman_facepalming:t4:

Let’s try this again…

I’m talking about Annastasi saying that our entire Curse repository won’t be free and public. Not third party apps. The entire Curse repository. That’s what was said. That’s what I clarified.

OK sorry I guess I missed that.

2 Likes

Can someone explain me what is the deal with Overwolf?

I mean i heard that they are doing shady stuffs with the data but i don’t find an article on the subject demonstrating the point.

Anyway i will not use it because i remember to have installed it some years ago and it was a crapy program.
I’ll go with the manual way instead.

That’s not what I said. Or, if that’s how I was interpreted, that’s not what I meant. I was talking to the guy who was saying that the third party addons would continue to run because the repo would remain free and public. they won’t and it isn’t… so when I said that, I was talking about the third party access to the API remaining free and public. the API that allows ajour and wowup to exist.

the API that will no longer allow them to exist because it won’t be, well… free and public.

I’m not stupid. I know we will retain the ability to go directly to the curse site to update addons manually, or use their dogcrap overwolf app, wtihout direct cost.

1 Like

It’s 100+ post thread. I’m guilty of missing things a lot. No worries. Sorry I was frustrated. :two_hearts:

2 Likes

I don’t really know. I hate the layout of it and I use add-ons from Wowinterface, so Wowup is easier for me. I know if I don’t shut it down before I fire up the game that it’ll disconnect me. But otherwise, I haven’t seen it do anything harmful.