Overwolf destroyed one of our add-on apps

and even that cannot be prevented, and should not be prevented.

Addon development was NOT meant to be a way of living, you were not suppose to make money of off it. That is why Blizzard made sure that the addon authors could not ask for money.

9 Likes

You last year- “Oh just GD overreacting to Overwolf buying Curse. It’s just an add-on manager, you can use third party ones”

You this year- “It’s up to the add-on creator to enable this, if you don’t like it don’t download their add-on”

You next year- “Come on guys, the Overwolf Add-on Manager and Launcher™️ is the best! I don’t know why you’d want to use any other crappy manager. They removed third party downloads to support the authors, you don’t want the add-on makers to stop making add-ons right? I use it and I only got three rootkits and just two ransomware attacks this year!”

6 Likes

I completely disagree with you. It is their mod, they wrote the code and they should have control over it. If they wanted they could make it private and only let friends use if hosted on a private repo. The fact that they are trying to make a little money on their efforts isn’t a bad thing, the fact they could stop making them is.

And you still can. Guess I was right there.

And that is also true, damn “You” are 2 for 2 on this!

Well I will let you know next year if I am 3 for 3! Until then stop overracting. Nothing has changed, you can still use third part site to download mods that they authors have agreed to share with them. Hell for all you know the damn game might not even be around next year.

1 Like

TOS abuse is rampant these days. Blizzard can put in their TOS that addons can’t be hosted on Curse and there’s nothing Curse can do about it.

2 Likes

They can and they cannot. The moment they release it for the public, they have no right to prevent someone from accessing it. Because even tho it is their code, it still has to obey the Blizzard’s policy which clearly states the addons cannot be offered for money.

• The code belongs to a dev and they can do whatever they want with it, be it private addon or shared only to friends.
  • The code also belongs to Blizzard due to policy and what Blizzard says goes.
  • The moment the code is on the public domain its freely accessible by everyone and thanks to the policy cannot be sold.
7 Likes

Actually they can’t they don’t own or have any control over addons other than changing the API to brake the ones doing things they don’t like.

2 Likes

I’m pretty upset about this.

I use a lot of addons. and my choice now (because only a fool would think wowup isn’t next) is:

use overwolf and install that bloated, dog :poop: spyware on my computer
update each addon manually
stop playing alltogether

I already have one foot creeping towards the door. this is just… fuel.

ugh. this sucks.

8 Likes

There is no need to be upset or panic about this. Like I said, there will always be a free addon manager and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

Overwolf is trying to kill free addon managers that’s the whole point of this thread

8 Likes

I know and I am trying to point out that Overwolf cannot stop all of the addon managers. There will always be addon managers.

Adding overwolf’s advertising IP addresses to a hosts file will block any ads they try to serve through their app.

a third party addon manager is only as good as the data repository it pulls from.

1 Like

Per Casperstorm, Ajour Developer

In addition, they will rate limit third-party addon managers if one becomes too popular oh, and not all addons will be available over the API.

So even if authors allow third-party managers to download, doesn’t mean Overwolf will allow that particular mod to be downloaded third-party.

3 Likes

You are right but the repositories are free and public. Even Curse making their API less accessible you can reach the same data with different methods.

you’re being a bit naive assuming the curse repo will remain free and public.

wowinterface is, but the reality (for now, at least) is that curse is the main repository, and the others just don’t have the wealth of addons available on curse.

4 Likes

I am not being naive as this relates to my job, so i know what i am talking about.

Curse cannot make the repo paid as that would be against addon policy. Also there are other free repos which become more popular the more restriction curse makes.

Let’s say Curse made everything paid and all other addon repos shut down, there would still be a way to make a free addon manager.

of course not.
but they can block the API that allows third party addon managers to access it, forcuing us to use overwolf, or update manually.

as, you know, they have done (for ajour, and probably wowup as well) and is the topic of this discussion.

You do not need API to access the data is what i am saying.

yes, a third party addon manager does need to use their API to access the data.

No, you don’t. You can just crawl their website, but this discussion is going nowhere so this is going to be my last reply, at least for a while.