Overwolf destroyed one of our add-on apps

We all knew this was inevitable. I’m sure WoWup will be next.

26 Likes

Sadface. I have been using Ajour and liked it.

Back to manual download and install I guess. :frowning:

5 Likes

Was bound to happen since money was involved. I can’t think of a real solution, as I can see both sides (addon authors want compensation for work. Players don’t want to pay $$ for addons)

The obvious solution is to make money from players without charging players (advertising, data collection) but players don’t want that either.

I feel like this is going to affect everything on the internet eventually. How do you make money to continue providing things for free to others without doing shady things in the background?
The solution will probably be like cable companies or streaming services… More things to subscribe to… Yay.

5 Likes

I don’t use any addons at all, i’m too afraid i’ll get attached only for the addon to be taken away or stop being edited.

When my Super Mario Bro’s music/ability soundover addon was discontinued back in WOTLK I was devastated, I suffer from severe abandonment issues to this day.

8 Likes

Yep… I’ll never use overwolf.

38 Likes

This is the route I think I’m going to take as well, I’ll just use the addons I have as they are and if I get a bug then I’ll check for updates. Although Ajour has a GPL license which means if someone wanted to they could fork it and continue the project.

Overwolfs changes don’t block addon managers from working what they do is make it so downloads from third party addon managers don’t count towards an addons download count and downloads are how addons get ‘reward points’ or whatever which in turn gets them money from Curse.

They will deprecate the current API and create a new API where downloads do not count towards the CurseForge Reward Program—essentially splitting the community by turning addon developers against third-party addon managers. In addition, they will rate limit third-party addon managers if one becomes too popular oh, and not all addons will be available over the API.
What does this mean for Ajour? Well, it kills my motivation, and it kills my vision for Ajour. I don’t want to fight with Overwolf (anymore). It’s not worth it.

Little do they realzie I’d rather use nothing than use their client
:rofl:

11 Likes

Learn to make your own :wink:

1 Like

I use overwolf because I don’t just play WoW I play Minecraft mods as well, since Curseforge also hosts Minecraft mods, so I have to use it regardless

That being said I do not see the problems with overwolf as alot claim

I literally haven’t had any issues with overwolf since they bought Curseforge from Twitch

12 Likes

Oh bleep bleep bleep!
Ajour was nice, light and not a pain.
Guess I’ll be getting overwolf soon :frowning:

1 Like

whelp time to watch how to manual install mods on wow to get an what ill be going through
if they forcefully remove wowup

1 Like

Keep in mind that Wowup.io still works for now. And it also pulls from WoWinterface.

Every time Overwolf runs in the background, on both of my new computers, I end up getting disconnected or something lags.

6 Likes

I’ll stick to WoWUP.

12 Likes

just nasty how this is going. tbh, if forced to use their product, i will probably just stop playing wow. as it is, the only thing i am actually interested in anymore is designing my ui. :confused:

4 Likes

I feel like that’s a bit overboard. Overwolf is fine as long as you close out of it before entering the game. And WoWup.io currently still works.

4 Likes

You’re free to manually download addons and placing them in your WoW folder

2 Likes

In keeping with my trend of being totally informed on all things WoW, this is the first time I’ve ever even heard of Ajour. :crazy_face:

14 Likes

Which is why I don’t let it run it the background and I’ve never had any problems.

4 Likes

You don’t need overwolf launched you need it to install curseforge, once you got curseforge going you can set overwolf to never launch again

Two seperate software apps

2 Likes

Until it gets shutdown too.

1 Like

You could learn to code your own UI :smiley:

:]

4 Likes