Overwolf destroyed one of our add-on apps

They already have.

Why ?

What basis do they have to object to what a third party site does with it’s own servers that hosts content Blizzard doesn’t own or have the right to ?

3 Likes

Some are saying they can because people like clark do nothing but spend all day coming into every thread and take the opposing side to troll. Threads like this though expose how they don’t know what the hell they’re talking about and are here for nothing else to troll or whiteknight.

1 Like

Some points of interest from the Curseforge Discord :

• The new API will be phased in across many months. There will be a couple of months where both the current old API and the new API will exist so programs can use either
  • Addon authors will have a third party project distribution toggle to allow third party addon managers to download their addon
  • For addons using that toggle it won’t count towards the rewards program
  • Existing projects will default to having this turned ON by default so for existing projects where the addon author doesn’t change it third party addon managers will continue to be able to download
  • The addon author gets plenty of warning on this options , what it does and how to set it. They get notified that this option is on , why it is on and the implications to their project if they turn it off
  • New projects won’t have the third party download option turned on by default. They’ll automatically be in the Curseforge Rewards program.
5 Likes

They’ll quit soon too.

Read the article. Ajour wasn’t shut down by Overwolf. They’re actively punishing addon creators by making any downloads through a third party app not count for their account. And Ajour’s creator doesn’t want to cause issues for the creators.

They’re trying to pit addon creators against the community.

The ONLY solution: EVERYONE needs to ditch Curse and Overwolf. Move your addons to github or wowinterface or wowace. Do not support this.

8 Likes

It is all about the cash!

1 Like

Okay

The CF client is written on the Overwolf framework.

If you want an analogy think of the Curseforge client as an addon but for Overwolf. You need the Overwolf framework installed for it to run as the code in it won’t do anything unless you have the Overwolf software installed to run it.

The people that are saying they’ve separated it probably have the option to quit Overwolf when you close the Curseforge client on. This means that 2-3 minutes after they close their Curseforge client all Overwolf programs and processes are gone from memory. They think they’ve gotten rid of Overwolf as when they search for Overwolf in memory it’s not there (and they assume it’s meant to stay in memory)

1 Like

They won’t as long as they are getting paid by Curseforge/Overwolf.

1 Like

I’ll never use over wolf. Ever. Their software is horrendous. Their forced advertising in hots was bs. I despise the people that make that app.
I’d rather manually download and update, than use their bs.
If they kill ajour, ugh.

3 Likes

Wait, so all of this over an option that allows the mod author to decide if they want their mod to be open to third party updaters? Typically “GD”, making a huge deal out of nothing…

3 Likes

Something that’s checked by default…

Seems everything involved with WoW just goes to crap now. Thanks Blizz, for I would have cared if you hadn’t ruined the game already.

2 Likes

Overwolf destroyed my soul.

Unless the mod author changes the setting, it will still be there for third party updates to use.

But the Jailer just restored it!

I know. Overwolf ruined everything.

Overwolf ate my homework.

“All existing projects currently toggle turned on by default”

“existing” and “currently” means that future add-ons, hell maybe even updates, won’t be toggled on to allow third party downloads. I don’t see why anyone would trust Overwolf to do anything less than pad their bottom line and force users into their crap software to be served crap ads.

2 Likes

Well anyone setting up a new project will be asked when they create their repo. You are grasping a straws here. All existing projects will default to it and it will be 100% up to the mod authors. Like I said, typical “GD” over reacting to things…

1 Like

There will always be addon managers, this cannot be prevented even if Overwolf tried their hardest.

Except they are not even trying to prevent them. They are giving the author control over who can and can not access their mod.

1 Like