Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

You don’t need scamware to install addons. Pin your addon folder to quick access list, bookmark your addons, easy life.

2 Likes

How? For us computer tech challenged people? use small words - lol

long history of shady business and handing out free malware to users.

i’ll be manually updating. i have a bookmarks folder with all my addons in it. i’m set. i don’t like it, but i’m set.

3 Likes

I always tell people about this and keep saying I’m going to get it to try it out but I’ve yet to do so :laughing:

https://pi-hole.net/

What it does is provide network level adblocking :+1:

So internet comes in to your house, to your modem, then goes to your router and out to your Desktop, laptops, phone, tv, etc. Normal adblocks are applications/extensions placed on each device but you can configure your router to use the pihole device (generally installed on a raspberry pi) as its DNS server so all traffic has to go through it before your devices allowing it to block all Ads :slight_smile:

So places where you normally can’t block ads (I don’t think) like a smart tv or an application like Overwolf you will be able to block them :+1:

2 Likes

I don’t believe this is correct, the instanced content is designed to work with the wow UI, as all the information about the fights are in the base user UI.

Addons simply use the same information but display it in a more obvious way.

Back in Wrath, our main tank did not use any addons, he just used the standard UI, and he was a beast.

Hmm.
Are personal attacks allowed in this forum?
this kinda seems personal…

5 Likes

This I can’t get behind because I use GitHub repos for some addons

Since Microsoft owns Github though I’m sure Git would be fine :slight_smile:

This I can never see happening, why would Blizzard do that?

It would be cool, they could even add a section to the Bnet client for browsing addons but I really don’t see that ever happening :frowning:

Awesome. :expressionless:

You are correct, addons must be free to get and use, but that has nothing to do with third party addon delivery systems.

You can still access all these addons manually if you like; all Overwolf does is provide a pretty UI to automate this process.

Not that I believe that Overwolf should make these changes but Overrwolf is free, you can pay to remove the adds, similar to what Wowhead has done for years.

2 Likes

Ty so very much! I also like that name, “pi-hole aka pie-hole”. :sweat_smile:

If a single app makes your PC lag I am pretty sure it’s not just a single app that is the reason it makes your PC lag.

3 Likes

I’m trying to say that does it suck? Yes it’s inconvenient for people who used wowup

But can you find another way around? Yes you can

Cheap labor. The addons wouldn’t be officially from Blizzard, but they’d be integrated better than ever. I mean, the best example of how this works is with Chrome. All those extensions you use were created by regular users, and the creators get paid for making them. Blizzard might authorize sales at that point, but considering millions would be downloading and using them, they could offer a donation package.

However they did it, if Blizzard paid $0.10 per download, and 50,000 people downloaded your app, that’s $5,000. Even at 1 penny per download, that’s still an extra $500 per month per creator. That would push more addon creators to make competing addons, and the favorites would come out on top very quickly. Given each addon could update once per month, that’s a steady salary, and that’s a community that could push Blizzard to increase the frequency of content.

It’s a win-win for players, Blizzard, and addon creators. It would be way more complicated than the scenario I put forth, but it’s doable. Instead of the creators spreading themselves out to different platforms, they’d be consolidated and end up being more well off.

5 Likes

No lol. He’d write a 24 page essay explaining why his wife and kids actually deserved it because it was blizzard that did it.

9 Likes

People tend to ‘forget’ that you can download the addons for free from not just Curseforge or Overwolf and want to complain that their preferred method is being removed and something else ‘forced’ onto them.

Just because Overwolf owns Curseforge does not make it the only system available to find addons and certainly is not costing you money to use. So what if they are making money from ads, how else do you expect companies to provide a free service that literally cost you nothing? Do these people forget offering a service has costs? You can’t run a website without over heads.

3 Likes

How is it a win for Blizzard? I’m not understanding how Blizz is making money in this situation unless they are also hosting ads. It sounds to me like you are suggesting that Blizz pay addon developers and get nothing in return :man_shrugging:

1 Like

The problem isn’t from the ads themselves. It’s Overwolf running in the background, eating your data, and popping up random ads overtop of the game you’re playing.

5 Likes

Time to learn the LUA language. Took me 2 months to learn the language and I can create and update pre-existing addons without the use of those 3rd party programs. I also save myself the grief of downloading the addons on other sites that may have malicious intent.

Here’s the book: Beginning LUA With World of Warcraft Addons - Paul Emmerich

3 Likes

They couldn’t even get their co-leads to have equivalent pay. People are thinking too much.

Business sucks. Bring back indie WoW nerds just trying to make a magic game they like to play when they get home.

2 Likes