Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

LOL I don’t blame you.

More gaslighting and deflection. Aren’t you precious.

1 Like

I do aesthetically pleasing addons and ones that save me time. I can do the content without them

Communism will win.

5 Likes

I’ll be honest, I have no idea what Overwolf even is.

I do run a few WoW addons but admittedly less than some I imagine - DBM, Healbot, TomTom, and a few other minor ones. I’ve always downloaded them manually and I update them once a month or so, or whenever a new patch drops. Hasn’t really been a problem.

I have over 100 addons, if I don’t get a bug I’m just not updating :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Overwolf is a company, they bought Curse so thus they control the curse client, when wow players talk about not using Overwolf they are saying they aren’t going to use the curse client (which is overwolf’s desktop app now).

I always manually update addons.

1 Like

Guys and gals. THE best way you can fight this, besides coming to the forums in hopes Blizzard makes a ruling, is learn how to update the interface number in the addon itself. It’s really easy to do, and unless the API gets changed by Blizzard themselves (admittedly it does happen occasionally), the addon will work. Learn programming my friends. This is how you find the exact interface number, and there’s a slew of sites that can teach you how to write your own addons.

Ahhh gotcha. Thanks.

Let me add to my previous statement:

If there are any addon creators that you know, or know of, or frequent the forums, let them know of this change. The goal isn’t to cut off Overwolf, but to put their addons on other addon managers to give us a choice. It takes no extra effort to do so, and if an addon creator doesn’t, then don’t use their addons.

A competitive environment like the Apple Store and Google Store is what’s best. Overwolf can say they want competition, but they’re not showing it.

That hurts the eyes.

I just get tired of commercials. They’re everywhere. It’s like living inside a mall, 24/7 sometimes.

3 Likes

Hurts the brain, too.

3 Likes

:grimacing: This is quite a time investment assuming a person has no background in I.T or coding. The addon development world has a bunch of stupid little pitfalls and it’s not really documented in a way that’s friendly to beginners. It can of course be done but you have to really want to learn lol.

I’d assume most bighead developers know since Ajour said they were halting development on their client

and Overwolf posted this in November showing the roadmap

https://mailchi.mp/overwolf/whats-new-with-overwolf-curseforge-november3

2 Likes

don’t know how

Blargh, that’s unfortunate.

The reason why i have addons is for convenience.
Now the convenient way of updating my addons is getting lost…

Ugh! Effort…
:stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think that Blizz can do anything about access to addons outside of the game.

They could absolutely remove their API and ban addons, which I hope they never do.

1 Like

Then there’s only one thing to do: Blizzard creates its own addon repository, banning the use of any other, and pays addon creators per download, including updates. We’d be able to get new addons and update them without having to reload the game, plus everyone would feel safe using it.

8 Likes

Will never use overwolf guess I will be downloading them manually.

3 Likes