Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

Good thing they’re not taking anything, like you claim to be doing.

Yes, though theirs also didn’t require TWO apps to run and install and instead just required one. Their data collection and selling policies also could be avoided completely, and I didn’t have to create a Twitch account for it. :3

How much did you bet, because you just lost.

Also there’s a reason Tomcat is very much avoiding my posts.

I think it’s more a case of Tia’s explanation. 10am server time sounds right. Completely wrong day with the correct server time.

Hey you are the one that called it “theft” and when they circumvent Overwolf’s ad revenue and are unwilling to place an ad on their launcher to replace the lose. Sure it might not be theft but it is no different than someone using your open wifi without paying for it.

I imagine it is because you are highly annoying but that’s just me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nope, I never used the word theft actually.

There is no loss, sorry. I asked for evidence to substantiate the person’s claims, which they avoided because they want to blindly be able to defend someone that’s paying them.

Not really, keep coming with the really bad comparisons. It’s cute.

Here’s a comparison you won’t like, these addon devs and Overwolf are “STEALING” as you put it Blizzards bandwith via their API! Is Overwolf and the addon devs paying Blizzard anything? Nope!

It’s just you projecting, a lot.

Which was indeed mocking said person, hence the /s after the words btw so you have ZERO excuse to not have known.

“Haha prove a negative! Despite the initial person making the claim(overwolf) Not substantiating it!”

I’m sure you’re angry you can’t do it to yourself.

1 Like

Pretty sure he’s avoiding all of the hard hitting questions because then he’ll have to explain why he’s mooching off Blizzard’s teat instead of engaging in normal app development if he wants a more stable paycheck. He doesn’t really have any basis for his complaints until he can address why countless other better options weren’t chosen.

2 Likes

You are in fact correct, you said “stealing”. My mistake.

You do understand that this argument goes bother ways. Where is your “evidence” that there is no lose?

Honestly, I am actually done with you. I will toss you on ignore and save us both the trouble of any further interaction. I doubt I will miss any too much.

I blocked Clark but why do I feel he wrote something that is obnoxious lol
And ya this was a crummy move, I liked when people had options… this whole overwolf garbage is ridiculous.

1 Like

I see our disconnect. We’re talking about the holiday events which work differently than player created events such as that you get with guild and community invites which those reflect your realm time. Yeah, confusing right? If you want to try it out for yourself, log into an LA server and then log into a Chicago server and hover over either of the current holidays and I bet you’ll see 10:00am wherever you go. It’s not about your PC’s clock either. You can create an account on an EU server and guess what… it’ll say 10:00am there too. It’s just that EU 10:00am for a holiday means the CET timezone whereas NA 10:00am means the Pacific timezone.

The mod situation with Minecraft is quite a great deal different, though. Mods were never officially supported in Java version, they just kind of sprang up due to the hackable nature of Java programs. Furthermore, the version of Minecraft Microsoft is most interested is the newer modless C++ rewrite that runs on consoles and mobile platforms, because that’s where the money is.

By contrast, WoW has supported UI addons since day one and has an entire API explicitly for that.

MS wouldn’t have to buy CursedWolf’s repo. Because the native mod manager has the home field advantage of coming with the game, there would be massive pressure for authors to post their addons to it, because otherwise they’re risking losing mindshare (and thus donations) to competitors who are willing to be on the built-in mod manager. And there would indeed be competitors there, because that’s a vacuum worth filling. It’s a similar situation as on Android; while alternative stores (like Amazon’s) can be installed and used on it, it’s basically suicide to not put your Android app on the Google Play store.

Oh so it is basically “You will work with us or else” type of situation. Yeah, that will play well :slight_smile:

I mean, Blizzard wouldn’t be intentionally applying pressure. It would come naturally with the existence of a built in mod manager, because let’s face it, nobody really wants to install third party stuff… people just do it because it’s a pain in the rear to keep more than a handful of addons updated otherwise. Path of least resistance and all that.

If Overwolf wants to remain relevant in that scenario, they’re going to have to try to compete, which is only a good thing. Right now they have no real competition which is never good.

1 Like

Well not all of us are tinfoil hat wearing people who think these “evil third party” updaters are secretly drinking all our beer and leaving the toilet set up at night. It would be nice for Overwolf to have some competition but it is very unlikey it will come from Microsoft. If anything you will have to hope Method’s name will carry Wago grow to become that competition.

What I was saying in that paragraph isn’t even about Overwolf being evil or anything. It’s just another thing on top of the ever growing pile of crap you “have” to install as a gamer. Anything that reduces that pile is welcome.

2 Likes

and yet WoW players are actively hostile to add-on developers when they don’t update fast enough or something breaks.
Add-on developers are just random people working on stuff for a game they play and love. If they get a bit of ad share revenue for driving traffic to a site or an app good for them. Nobody is charging players directly for access to any of it.

Sure, Overwolf is a crappy app, but it’s 100% optional. Automatic updates or one click updates for all your addons is purely convenience and nobody actually owes players anything. Enjoy the free labor people put into passion projects and if they get a little bit of ad share revenue you should be happy for them. Means they are more likely to keep making that addon you like so much, whatever it may be.

Tell you what. I’ll try to be on when the Darkmoon Faire is scheduled to end at 11:59pm Pacific Time on Saturday February 12th and I will watch the portal from both a US and OCE realm and if the portal does not disappear on both servers at the same time I’ll ask Blizzard why (if I can’t figure it out for myself).

This could happen only if Blizzard allows the events to happen at a different moment in time depending on the server you’re on. It’s highly unlikely that they could let this happen due to issues that people would exploit by server hopping to get an extra shot at certain events… but I’m going to check anyway in case there’s something not being conveyed in the details you’ve given so far. I’ll even check it again for the end of the Lunar Festival on Sunday. That should be Monday for you, but should still be the same moment in time… assuming that I’m able to be awake to witness it.

Overwolf is all bad

Kinda like the team that took over wow from wod forward, just all about monetization

1 Like

You being able to work while disabled doesn’t mean all people are. Calling it pulling the disability card is beyond terrible. Being mad about an addon in a video game should never make a person resort to ableism.

1 Like

Know anyone who’s willing to hire a software developer with 30 years of experience but who cannot keep a regular schedule (one day I’m awake from 10am, the next it could be 8am or it could be 12pm, and the next maybe it’s 3am or maybe it’s 4pm) and who has issues with maintaining focus on complex code for more than a few hours a day, especially when it involves design/future-proofing… and some days can’t at all… because of constant fatigue, exercise intolerance, and a myriad of other issues that make it hard to pin me down for conference calls or regular project meetings, and who must work from home? Will they pay enough that I can cover my bills? If you can find one more than the one I’ve found in the past 4 years of trying, let me know in case the single one I’ve only recently found falls through before I can get very far with them.

BTW, I can sometimes force my schedule a little bit for a meeting, but about every time I do, it’s at the expense of having hours that I’m of clear enough mind that can perform work. When the number of hours I might be able to work multiplied by a decent pay equals barely covering bills, that’s rough to do. Some days I can’t even shower without feeling dizzy for the next 20 minutes. One of my doctors said what I am going through is considered worse than when a cancer patient is going through chemo, minus the risk of death. Fortunately, my situation has improved somewhat since then, but I still am only 10% closer to where I was before I fell ill. I’m trying not to have to go through the government to get by. Do I need to continue or are you satisfied with my answer enough to get off of my nuts on that?

Do you have numbers on this?

No I mean numbers on most people factually faking their disability. Which is horrid if it’s an inflated anecdote.