Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

I am pretty sure the actions Curseforge took with their client and then with the Overwolf bloat didn’t help their case. They aren’t innocent in any of this either.

Well maybe, but arguably they’ve done that already many times already, every time an addon got pulled into the default UI. They didn’t just copypaste addon code to do that, each feature was written from scratch by somebody on Blizzard’s payroll.

1 Like

Yeah I’m sure pulling downloads from their wittle servers is stealing all of that companies money! /s

Have they shown any profit loss in this regards, though addons in general are not supposed to be profitable anyways…

Calling someone else unethical while shilling for Overwolf is hilarious, at best.

“Damage caused” Nothing to substantiate actual damage, not surprising.

You mean like addon devs disregarded people not wanting to use Overwolf and telling them to find another solution, in which they didn’t?

Should probably talk to Overwolf about that solution if you want to stick with them, no? :3

Acting like WoWup is taking away from the community when it’s Overwolf doing that, disgusts me honestly.

Like addon devs are in regards to WoW since they’re ‘taking profits from WoW’ Given their donations from patreon and such? See why your previous statement is so wrong?

Yes, I would indeed trust WoWup on my PC far more than Overwolf which requires TWO Apps and sells all of your data and more… With security breaches all the time, that runs ads that could be malicious and more.

Yet haven’t fixed them, yes.

Which is by default on, and requires you to create an account with them and give our plenty of data to initially sell. WoWup doesn’t.

Clearly not, because you chose the wrong one.

You mean when Overwolf threatened them, then took a step back and tried to make offers to ‘work with’ instead of actually doing what WoWup and others asked them to do? Nah.

You mean the security breaches from a couple months ago? Wonder how many will keep popping up in the years. You can google ‘overwolf issues’ and find tons of website links talking about it, still. Nice try, though.

Overwolf even lied about “Curseforge cannot run without Overwolf app, sorry we won’t be doing that!” Despite curseforge being a whole app before that ran alone. More lies.

I have linked an entire reddit thread from a year and change ago, not much has changed and none of MY Issues with Overwolf have been solved. But it opened my eyes up to just how GUILTY addon devs are of being OK with bad stuff if they’re getting paid.

3 Likes

Thanks. If if were this, it might make sense, but everyone regardless of which server they are on in NA will see the same date and time for events on the calendar as those are neither your local time (where you sit) or the server time specifically… unless one or both is purely by coincidence… as time on the calendar is based on a ‘region’ time. Each WoW region has exactly one regardless of if the servers may be in varying locations. NA, EU, KR, CN, and TW. NA operates according to the Pacific USA timezone… even if the player and realm are shown as Oceanic. I hope that the person will respond or send me a private message to answer the question I’ve asked I think 3 times pertaining to the TIME they noticed the holiday beginning and from which time zone they observed that time. There are situations where 10AM in the Pacific timezone translates to some time on the next day elsewhere.

I may have translated the times by hand incorrectly when I first replied to him so that probably added to the confusion as 10:00 am Pacific time is actually 2:00am the next day in Sydney Australia, making the calendar correct despite confusing.

1 Like

True but that’s a lot different than setting up running a repository hosting thousands of addons.

I suppose so, but the costs of hosting addons which rarely exceed tens of megabytes in size and are usually kilobytes or single digit megabytes really isn’t that bad.

Another thing to consider is that Microsoft might be willing to foot the bill for this. They already do for tens or hundreds of thousands of projects hosted on GitHub (which they also own), which sees many hundreds of times more traffic than Curse saw even during WoW’s peak.

1 Like

False. The CurseForge app isn’t a stand alone app like the old Curse Client was.

1 Like

This was in BETA when they were asked if they could make Curseforge run solo, and they stated “It cannot run on it’s own and requires Overwolf app to run” despite Curseforge being able to run on it’s own previously. So yes, both you and them are false in this instance.

I am hoping to see some positive changes when Microsoft has full control next year so who knows.

I was incorrect when I gave the example times relative to Pacific time. 10:00am in the Pacific timezone is actually 2:00am on the next calendar day in Australia. The reason your calendar shows the holiday on the wrong day is because you must consider the time as it is in the zone that it represents (not yours). It’s confusing but that’s what it is. From a code and data standpoint it’s correct so my addon shouldn’t be enabling the options for the holiday late, unless, like I said, you hadn’t reloaded. I was logged in at the very moment the Lunar Festival holiday started, which was 1:00pm where I am sitting, and after a /reload, the icons were up. There must be something else happening that I’m missing, such as holidays on the OCE servers starting actually later than 2:00am the next day in Sydney. Does that sound possible?

1 Like

The CurseForge app is still in Beta and NO it can’t run without Overwolf just like all of their other apps. Could they change it to be a stand alone app sure but there is no reason for them to.

You’re not reading me correctly. They were asked to do just that - and if it’s still in ‘beta’ a year and a half later, then maybe Overwolf should figure that one out shouldn’t they? It was standalone before, they could’ve. Wanna know why they won’t? Money and it’s not their ‘branding’. They want to launch their own app to collect all the data they want. Now, they lied when they said “You cannot run Curseforge without Overwolf” because, you could. :3

1 Like

Part of that depends on which version of the Metal API and associated functions you incorporate into your app as well. Minimum supported version that will run and use Metal with the latest XCode is 10.13.6. It also depends on whether or not you use specific CPU functions as well. Generalized apps won’t. Specialized apps, especially those utilizing media functions, usually will.

The time on the calendar is based on the datacenter’s time relative to PST/PDT. My calendar shows events starting at the same time as everyone else, but those times are based on the server time, for which there are two distinct times in the NA region due to the location of the datacenters. For instance, an event that lists as starting at 12:01 AM on the calendar is not going to be 12:01 AM here, it’s going to be 12:01 server time, or 10:01 PM PST the previous day.

Blizzard could have and should have included a proper API for adjusting the game clock relative to the datacenter you’re connected to vs. system time. This would prevent virtually all issues with time synchronization in addons.

The old Curse Client that existed before Twitch bought Curse was a stand alone the app Overwolf built was never stand alone and never will be. They didn’t takeover an old app they built CurseForge app from scratch.

1 Like

My apologies. In my frustration, I had mistaken a very rude reply to my answer as coming from you. I’ve deleted my reply to that where I addressed you. Please disregard.

3 Likes

They stated, that it couldn’t run solo. But it could, evidence already shows that. Sorry you blindly defend someone for such a thing. Also no, they didn’t. They basically made it run through Overwolf instead of actually building a Curseforge app. Hence, both run when you try to run Curseforge. :3

Proof required.

There you go, but since you’re just gonna keep going round in round just gonna use a certain forum function instead. :3

I do agree this round and round is pointless so I’m out.

I bet if I started taking $3 out of your checking account every morning to cover the cost of my coffee, you would be upset. Theft is theft, the amount doesn’t change that. And whether or not they are making a profit doesn’t change that fact.

This a funny point to make. Did you also complain about it when Twitch became their updater and integrated it into their own platform, killing off the previous stand alone curse updater? It is exactly the same situation but I am betting you didn’t even peep up once.

Well if they were, they probably would have done so years ago back when they purchased Minecraft. It had a massive repo and there wasn’t any kind of action on them acquiring it. And I am pretty sure they made way more money off Minecraft then they will with WoW.

The issue is even if Microsoft did buy the repo, if the mod authors decided they didn’t want to use it there is nothing they could do about it. What Overwolf did was take a serious gamble. There was nothing stopping the modding community from say “screw this” and leaving for GitHub or finding another repo to host their mods.

3 Likes