Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

False. I’ve used the Curseforge app a lot and never gotten a single in-game pop-up or anything suspicious at all. Of course I don’t leave Curseforge or Overwolf running in the background.

1 Like

Can’t help it some people are blind.

1 Like

Blizzard should just allow addon devs to host their own addons in the game.

But some people do. That’s the thing. Even if it doesn’t have anything harmful in it, the program itself is totally bloatware. Many users have reported CPU usage skyrocket when the program is running. This isn’t acceptable.

1 Like

taking the bus and walking are not the same thing. majority of people also don’t live a 10minute walk away from work.

I’m just going back to the old method of having a text file with the links to most my addons.

I’ll update the addon if I get an update message for it in game or if the obvious happens and it’s patch day.

On that I agree completely which is why I don’t leave it running. I dislike Overwolf as much as anybody and I would prefer using WowUp. But with Overwolf locking WowUp out of their API pretty soon the Curseforge app will be the next best option.

I don’t think he’d want anything in return. The offer would be the honor.

So, I made a batch file to do this, and it worked, albeit there were a LOT of tabs open and I had to manually put the zip files in the correct directory, but Curseforge associated my download with a bot, and decided to make me prove I was human. So, that’s not going to work. It worked once, but that was all she wrote.

The size of the repo for something like cursed forge is massive. Not only that but they need a staff to manage and review files uploaded. Blizzard won’t even pay for in game CS, you think they are going to flip the bill for something someone else is providing for free?

1 Like

This comment seriously makes me doubt you have done the hardest content in the game…

Addons aren’t just about rotation and damage output, they are sometimes essential in mythic raiding to help with mechanics, not to mention helping you track things like your trinket and buff durations. I’d like to see anyone do Mythic Ra-den when it was current without addons or N’zoth for that matter…

Most mythic raid teams literally will not allow you to raid with them unless you get certain addons, particularly DBM/Big Wigs and weak auras. You just literally will be benched if they discover you aren’t using them and it’s usually pretty easy to tell who isn’t using them because they aren’t following the addons’ directions.

You can be mad about that if you want and protest that people should be able to mythic raid without them, but it will change nothing. As long as Blizz keeps designing mythic fights the way they do, addons will be necessary.

2 Likes

…yeah, definitely not a mythic raider. Don’t say you can do the “hardest content in the game” unless you’ve done mythic raiding, 20+ mythic keys, or high rated PVP please.

1 Like

Thing is wow-matrix will probably stop working if it is using curse as its source for addons unless they got approved for overwolf’s api.

That’s not the reason I decided to use it, only stating that if something did happen. I use it because

I haven’t even heard of anyone personally who had issues with it, only from people saying they heard that it was bad. If I see a compelling reason to avoid it, I will. Hearsay is rarely that.

Blizzard has even created mechanics that try and sneak their way passed addons like DBM. Cenarius’s entangling roots ability back in EN is an example of this. DBM could only track the initial target. Other targets couldn’t be tracked.

2 Likes

According to the linked article, the only reason WOWup lost it was because they decided to partner up with Wago. Overwolf didn’t look to kindly upon that as Wago is trying to get into the WOW mod repo game. If they hadn’t done that, they probably would still have access. It was a little childish of Overwolf but that is why they lost access.

2 Likes

They’ve been threatening WOWup with denying access long before they had a partnership with Wago. This was the excuse to deny competition, no more, no less.

2 Likes

That doesn’t change the why they lost it does it?

1 Like

It’s their repository and bandwidth so they can control access to it as they see fit.

It does unless you’re buying into Overwolf’s BS reasoning for stifling competition away from their crap platform. “We don’t want competition” is very different to “they had arrangements with another website”.

Of course they can and likewise any consequences that follow.