Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

That’s not the only reason. Curse has better tools and interface for them, as well.

They don’t make a profit. From some that I’ve spoken with, they can buy a McDonald’s sandwich once a month with what they receive.

I have no issues with someone who puts in all of that work and creativity getting a little perk once a month. It’s not a business. No one is making enough money to quit their jobs while they do this. You might want to take a step back and reevaluate what you’re speaking of.

No… no it is not. Because I’m not supplying them with funds. Thus, I am being charged nothing.

Again, no one is making some huge profit off of addons. The deciding factor is more about the tools and interface provided— the traffic to it is secondary.

At some point we can just agree to disagree.

I consider being served ads a form of being billed. So do the people who host websites and use those ads to pay the bills, so does Youtube, Spotify and Overwolf. But if you don’t see it that way, you’re perfectly entitled to that perspective.

I imagine in time they will, as Wago’s addon effort is fairly young. Making matters worse, Overwolf targeted select developers like DBM for platform exclusivity.

1 Like

Installed it the other day on a fresh pc build as I too forgot about it. Within 3 minutes 5 bitcoin miners/malware were on it.

2 Likes

We could, if it were an opinion. But it isn’t. It’s fact that I am charged nothing by our local newspaper, neighborhood magazine, or a website with ads. No charges come to my accounts. No money of mine is given to anyone.

The ad companies pay to be on those pages, whether they are physical or digital. It’s their accounts that are charged. Not mine. Not yours.

Very commendable - I’m a member of my local wildlife Trust here in the UK

:roll_eyes:

You can roll your eyes all you want and ignore everything else posted, but it’s not wrong.

Advertisers pay to be on pages. We do not get charged anything. Seeing an ad does not charge us. Hearing an ad does not charge us. Watching an ad on TV or streaming services does not charge us.

I see Clark is at it again with his excessive need for admiration

2 Likes

My dude…you are a rockstar…tried wow-matrix…uninstalled the bloatware called overwolf.

2 Likes

Nice. I’ve been using WoW-Matrix for years and it has never let me down. I love the one-button auto-update functionality, and if you want to manually install something, you don’t have to worry about it missing the new folder or throwing weird index errors.

I’m glad you gave it a try, and I hope it remains exactly what it is through all these addon changes.

Any of the ones I used to give to decided to roll with overwolf and lost my money, too much greed. Too many feel entitled to living off it since DBM started to.

2 Likes

The meltdown over MDT turned me off of wanting to donate to anyone simply because it felt petty. Did DBM do the same thing?

That one was pretty sad yeah, dude so angry about losing w1st.

Nah, DBM just threatened to ‘stop working on DBM’ or ‘Stop working it fulltime’ IE saying it wouldn’t be updated very much because they were not getting enough to afford their house, family medical expenses, etc. They did it again last year with everything going on at Blizzard. They make a lot of money monthly off it though, probably most out of any addon.

They were quick to defend overwolf on their launch and all, just like many other big addon authors. Overwolf gives the bigger authors a bigger share of the pie.

It appears it has already started. More than 3/4 of my addons won’t update now. Could you link a how-to to get all that working? It’s not something I’ve ever done. I’m sure a lot of people would be appreciative.

They should be in violation of monopoly. Guess I’ll be playing without addons or install them manually.

2 Likes

I remember when there wasnt a blue circle with a number on the map and questhelper was a thing. Then it appeared Blizzard took the idea and implemented it.

It seems like there is a demand for UI modification and there will always be. Its pretty clear though what ppl want the most and Weakauras/Tellmewhen(my preference), Bartender/Dominos…dps meter…Elvui…Masque…Shadowed Unit Frames…

All indicate a player desire for more UI customization options. I would prefer that Blizzard offered more of this so I didnt have to worry about addons and being updated etc.a Everything is up to date every time I log in.

That doesnt mean I am not incredibly greatful for those who have chosen to develop the skills necessary to make the addons or the personal cost of time for them but Blizzard providing more of this would go a long way imo.

I used to only do addon updates manually and was reluctant to try the automated side of it but eventually I tried an Addon manager and it was too convenient to go back. I have other things Id rather do, however simple the manual process might be there are plenty of people who just want the process simplified so they can do other things. That certainly applies not just to WoW but other aspects of life as well.

I can understand what the impact of Blizzard integration of these mainstream addons would be to part of the addon community but all of the stuff happening in this thread…wow.

Might be time to consider the default UI in case things get worse.

Addon devs get more money and we get ads while we install our addons once a patch. cool.

it’s hard to be sympathetic when most the complaints about this are people whining about having to see a few ads while they install their addons, takes a lot of entitlement to complain about this lol.

1 Like

Would never happen.

Everyone knows Blizz is anti-spit.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It has nothing to do with the ads themselves. It’s Overwolf using your data to sell to other companies. Not to mention their in-game pop-ups and clandestine crypto-mining. Those are the things you have to opt-out of, which a lot of people don’t know about.

5 Likes