Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

Aren’t some addons also uploaded to github?

If the current hosting methods collapsed tomorrow, there are all sorts of services people could use to host addons. It works just fine for plenty of other games.

(And, honestly, modding for WoW is kid stuff compared to the modding scenes for many other games where add-ons often rewrite the game files.)

People don’t donate. Multiple addon authors have already said that. They have setup patreon links and whatnot, most people don’t donate. Only a select few addons were able to successfully do that and be able to distribute their addons more broadly.

1 Like

I don’t think that’s true, but even if it was no wonder why a lot of addons that are on Curse are not there.

Wow dude. Completely wooshed the whole thing.

First:

• You are not, and never were, supposed to make a profit off of addons. It is against the spirit of game.
  • Addon developers should not be seeking compensation. If you are making addons to make money, you are in the wrong business.
  • It is against the TOS to charge for addons.
  • Ad clients are a form of charging people.
  • Ads on websites are a form of charging people.
  • Yes, WoWUP did partner with Wago. AFTER Overwolf, for months, had killing off 3rd party support by this February on their public timetable. What should wowUP have done?
  • The issue is not solely one of ads. The issue is also that Overwolf is an Israeli made binary (Hello Cellebrite, NSO, Stuxnet) designed to establish persistence on your PC, scan your PC for other games you may play, so they can build a priority list of the next games they should target for monopolizing those modding communities too. It can draw over your game, and has drawn over games to serve ads when they do a bad job at scanning ad behavior from their clients before serving them.
  • WoWup, even if they are building an ad-supported option, are open source. They do not have an overlay for serving ads. They do not establish execution persistence on your PC. They do not have a history of trying to monopolize the modding community of game after game in a quest for profit.
  • WoWUP had curse addons because they scanned a public website and provided links to content on that website. That is not stealing. The addons are not copyright of their creator, and the content is public facing.
  • WoWUP, for the majority of it’s existence, used an API created by curse to do explicitly what WoWUP was using it for.
  • How long do you really think Overwolf is going to give addon devs a 70% share once they’ve killed off the competition?

Overwolf is a company and they are selling something that shouldn’t be considered a product.

9 Likes

While I agree with a lot of your points, the fact is simple:

• Addons take time and effort to develop and keep up to date.
  • Addon developers SHOULD be recognized and compensated for their work, while they MUST distribute their work for free, they SHOULD be recognized for their efforts. If you don’t agree with that I think you lack empathy and knowledge to how much effort goes into developing addons.
  • Addon developers can ask for donation but nobody do it. The only way to do it is via ads or additional services.
  • Addon developers (just like any modding community in gaming) are cursed by their own community. I bet most of authors wanted to make a living off of developing addons, but no one ever wants to pay them (remember when Steam tried to support the modding community and the backlash that happened?).
  • Yes, it’s against the spirit of any game to have paid mods. But we must recognize that it takes a lot of effort to develop them and authors must get something in return (doesn’t have to be necessarily $$$).

People who make Kerbal Space Program mods just include a patreon link in the hosting site so people can contribute to their coffee fund.

(And KSP modders do a hell of a lot more work than anyone who has ever made an addon for WoW.)

Yea, I knew they would.

Back when I tried Overwolf for Hearthstone, there was so much bloatware installed with it, and it never gave me an option to opt out of it.

It’s a garbage application, probably made by garbage people.

Sucks I’ll have to install my addons manually now.

2 Likes

People throw the “Donate” argument as if this would solve the problem. Many addon developers have stated that the “Donate” button is almost irrelevant because nobody do it. Do you do it? Do you donate to any WoW Addon at the moment? Most of them have a patreon link.

Yes and Yes.

(I also give regularly to the SPCA and the Sea Otter fund.)

((Oh and Wikipedia.))

2 Likes

There are better ways to do this than to serve adware and support Israel. You could have a wikipedia-esque non profit website, whose operation is a tax deduction, become a popular repository and host annual or bi-annual fund raising campaigns that co-inside with major patches.

You can push to have WoWup integrate patreon links for developers along with bars for targets (lots of research showing that empty/filling bars promotes higher donation conversion).

I’d be 100% supportive of that. But until then, I can’t support any alternatives that don’t recognize addon developers with some form of compensation.

Nobody wants to setup a recurring donation. I don’t know why Patreon doesn’t have a one-time option other than to follow the gym membership model. If Patreon made one-time donations simple, there’d likely be a different outcome for many.

1 Like

Wago+WoWup provides developers compensation.

Hear, hear!

3 Likes

I’m talking about ADDONs specifically. While most people are supportive of donations, most people don’t and specially if it’s for gaming.

Imagine if people would donate to the creators of the add-ons they use every day, instead of feeding the wallets of idiot streamers and youtubers.

The world might actually turn into a better place, overnight.

Agreed. It’s easy to “Subscribe” to a channel on Twitch. It should be as easy to do it for addon devs, yet people don’t do it.

man this is terrible news

it’s nice being able to open it once a week and press the ‘update all button’ for all 3 versions of WoW I play.

1 Like

So why is it a big deal that WoWup no longer have access to Curse? If they pay the developers enough, addon developers should upload there too and no one would be upset that Curse cut access to their API.

Well, something happened, and this is General Discussion, so naturally it became a big deal.

Or, to look at it another way, it’s a big deal because WoWhead told everyone it was a big deal. Without actually explain why (or if) it really was.

1 Like