Overwolf Denies WoWUp Its API

It’s EXTREMELY rare for an addon to have a necessary update after a patch release. Most patch release updates are just fixing the version number and that’s it.

The main exception would be DBM, since its author not only makes continuous unnecessary changes to it (generally for content that hasn’t even been released yet), but will actually have DBM turn itself off if you fall behind on updates, which is just stupid.

lol   

1 Like

Excluding DBM (which I agree is very dumb the way it’s handled), this is very far from the truth. Perhaps it’s not something you’ll see if you’re only running a few addons, but when you go into collector territory, you’re probably going to have a lot of addons and update them daily.

1 Like

I am a collector.

I mean, I’ve always updated my addons manually. I don’t use any of these automated “services.” Kind of knew sooner or later this was going to happen.

I think a lot of people lack the knowledge of how this works, here’s an example:

• Imagine if an addon author uploaded their latest and greatest versions of their addon to your computer. In exchange, you pay them $1 dollar every time someone downloads this addon from your computer.
  • In addition, you have to pay your electric bills, internet connection, and maintenance to your computer (in case things break, improve hardware, etc), let’s say adding all up the cost of serving an addon from your computer and paying the addon author is like $3 dollars.
  • Where do you get $3 dollars from? Well, from ads. People who downloads from your computer must first see ads, this way you can get enough money to pay the author, maintenance costs, and yourself.
  • Now imagine someone else sees the direct link to download the addon from YOUR computer and creates another app to download the addon but it’s all from your computer. You are the one paying everything, they are just stealing your content. This is what WoWUp is doing.
  • Now imagine that this person stealing your content from your computer also partners with your main competitor to also grab things you don’t have on your computer (weak auras for example).

It makes total sense for Overwolf to just cut access to WOWUP.

Bottom line, if you want to support addon developers, even if it’s an inconvenience, you should use Overwolf.

That’s not how WoW addons work though, and it’s explicitly said that addons you have to pay for are not allowed. I think you are confounding things a bit. I get the point, Overwolf owns it, they pay the server costs, etc, and the addons are uploaded to their repository.

The thing I don’t get is why does it HAVE TO BE uploaded there? Why is there no open source area that addon makers can use? That’s my main issue. Why is Twitch, or Overwolf, or whatever, the only way to do this?

LOL. You are crazy if you think addon developers don’t receive anything for their work. Of course they do. They upload to Overwolf because of that. If they just upload anywhere for free they never receive a dollar for their work.

It’s against TOS for addon developers to ask for money inside the addon (in game) like having a button saying “DONATE”. Outside they can do whatever they want.

They do upload elsewhere. Are YOU crazy? Go look at WoWinterface. get out of here.

Unbelievable how people don’t understand how addons work. It shows lack of empathy towards addon developers. People think they are slaves and work for free.

1 Like

Yes, they also get paid there. They upload where they get paid. Those who upload elsewhere do it because they have other means of getting money (Tradeskill Master, RaiderIO, SimC for example all get their money from paid subscription for their services outside).

People don’t work for free. Wake up!

1 Like

I agree, Blizzard needs to quit relying on free labor for UI improvements and actually put out a default UI that actually makes sense for the game and its content.

3 Likes

While I agree the UI should improve, lots of people PREFER to have the freedom of addons and customize their UI however they want. You can’t take that away from them.

1 Like

That’s not what I said. I said the default UI needs to actually make sense for the game and content and Blizzard needs to quit being lazy and relying on unpaid labor.

Daddy Ion is on the record saying that raid mechanics are designed with addons in mind. No game should be released in a state that expects you to go find 3rd-party addons.

2 Likes

Because they pay addon developers for hosting their addons on those sites. I don’t know the specifics of how they do it (ad revenue/clicks/downloads/etc), but the get monetary compensation for posting on curseforge over, say, github.

There are a few developers that have stopped posting on other sites to increase their curseforge traffic, but as far as I’m aware it’s not any of the Big Important addons.

I wish Blizzard would let addon devs have a donate/patreon link so they could get some compensation no matter where they posted.

They do not get paid on WoWInterface, 100% do not.

Revenue sharing of ad rev is where it gets gray, and yea, I know that’s a thing.

Again this all goes down to a convenience factor more than anything.

I said I agree with that. But the discussion here is about addon developers, they won’t cease to exist because people still want them. Even if Blizzard did the best UI, people would still want the addons and the addons are the result of hard work.

1 Like

Of course they won’t cease to exist, which is why I don’t know why you made the “you can’t take that away” comment. Addons are here to stay for customizability regardless. We don’t disagree on that.